Explain this!! Electrical drain overnight! (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
When the switch is switched to ‘charger only’, only the battery charger of the inverter/charger will operate (if mains voltage ispresent). The input voltage is also switched through to the ‘AC out’ terminal in this mode.
I got it wrong, young Eddie has just corrected me on this, as I said I'm still learning about the Multiplus.
Certainly is an awesome bit of kit.

Apr 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
I got it wrong, young Eddie has just corrected me on this, as I said I'm still learning about the Multiplus.
Certainly is an awesome bit of kit.
They are good aren't they, It was easier for me, they operate in much the same way as the Mastervolt kit that I had before.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Charged it up to around 94% ehu topped up with solar most of day, then took the ehu lead out and just did normal stuff, tv on phones charging, lights on and alde on (gas)
Soc last night was 90%
Soc this morning 86%
So all is good again👍👍👍
Thank you for all the contributors to this thread I have learned from it!!
Mainly that I need more solar and another battery🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Charged it up to around 94% ehu topped up with solar most of day, then took the ehu lead out and just did normal stuff, tv on phones charging, lights on and alde on (gas)
Soc last night was 90%
Soc this morning 86%
So all is good again👍👍👍
Thank you for all the contributors to this thread I have learned from it!!
Mainly that I need more solar and another battery🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
And read instructions???

Nah lol

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Do you need the multiples on 24 hrs, our Buttner just gets turned on to use and then turn itself off when it has been idle for a while.
I've temporarily wired in a switch in until I get my Raspberry Pi set up. Also going to try the AES setting which has a very low standby current but often doesn't switch on with light loads, shouldn't be a problem for what we use it for.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I've temporarily wired in a switch in until I get my Raspberry Pi set up. Also going to try the AES setting which has a very low standby current but often doesn't switch on with light loads, shouldn't be a problem for what we use it for.
I believe you can set the power limit to trigger the inverter on AES mode, from memory as low as 40w, and it will eat 2w, a pulse every 2 seconds. The phoenix inverters have this set on the on-off switch, second position. The multiplus as you know needs setting in VE bus.

Jan 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
AutoSleepers
Here is a wild theory for those who really understand these things to pull apart.

EHU plugged in and runs out of credit - Multiplus switches to inverter mode - Inverter provides different AC using out of phase 115V down positive and negative wires - EHU still plugged into bollard where negative wire is earth bonded - Inverter sending 115V to earth - 12V battery powering drain to earth.

Answer, unplug the EHU as soon as credit runs out?
I would do nothing at this stage but wait until you can replicate the experience. It might just be a dodgy power input; at least get that out if the way first.

Apr 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat
On smaller appliances, I have seen cases where the charging circuit is not open circuit when it's no longer charging. So if the appliance presents power on the charging lead, there will be current/drain.
I think a lot of car battery chargers do that.
For that reason, I always disconnect once no longer charging.

Apr 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat
On smaller appliances, I have seen cases where the charging circuit is not open circuit when it's no longer charging. So if the appliance presents power on the charging lead, there will be current/drain.
I think a lot of car battery chargers do that.
For that reason, I always disconnect once no longer charging.
"In the reverse-biased region, diodes have a small leakage current"
And the conversion from AC to DC is done with diodes.
So yes, my guess is that they took the power back... to warm up their charging station 🫤

French Charlie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2022
Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Funster No
MH
Auro Star V630LJ
Exp
2 years
Wake up😁😁😁
Even I got the bit about plugging in the bollard then unplugging and to me that’s all you need to know😁😁
Had a similar problem 6 days in to a tour of Spain. All going extremely well with no need for EHU on LiFePo 150 Ah hab battery with 275 watts solar. Day 3 on a site in Seville no hook up, total hab battery crash with engine battery down to 33%. Thank the good lord for the battery master fitted by Vanbitz. So had the new battery failed, had I snagged the solar panel cable, or was it just a system snag. None of those. Traced it down to my son who was visiting leaving the fridge door ajar in temperatures of over 30c overnight. Poor bloody fridge was manfully attempting to chill Seville.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back