Explain this!! Electrical drain overnight! (9 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you wire all the 230v side through the multiplus you can control the threshold to when assist turns on better than when you have say the fridge and heating separately as the multiplus doesn't know how much power these are using so could still trip the ehu.
Trust you to make me more work Dave, now I'm going to have to fit a changeover switch.

Feb 20, 2023
South Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago E line 50 D
Exp
Nail on headšŸ‘
All incoming mains goes via the Multiplus, the Multiplus will run in bypass mode until the max current from the bollard is reached (depending on your Multiplus settings) . When you exceed that current the inverter turns on and makes up the difference.

If you were on a 6 amp hookup running a 2kw load the inverter would need to supply approx 35 amps at 12v.
Hi Ade,
Reading this with interest, as we have virtually same set up.
I suppose could also happen in uk, if a power cut happens throughout the night.
Anyway glad you got to the bottom of it.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The Multiplus has three switch settings on the remote panel

Charge

Off

Inverter

If on inverter the panel can be set to reflect the amperage of the supply, and as already been explained, it will make up the shortfall IE Supply is 6amp, the load is 8amp the inverter will make up the ā€˜missingā€™ 2amp to avoid tripping the supply

If, the mains supply is disconnected or switches off, the multiplus will continue to make up the difference! in the scenario 8amps

If you select Charger it will only act as a charger, so does nothing when the mains is disconnected

Off is everything off

Edit: I did install it with the BUS so I could switch the inverter on and off through the App, but kept leaving the bloody thing on and flattened my Lithiums a couple of times, and once was pissed and really couldnā€™t understand what had happened

Sometimes looking at a switch panel is a Godsend!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
How about.. Pay a euro and plug in to ehu. When the time is up check the settings and see if inverter has switched on. Check everything while still plugged in to see if theres a draw.
The inverter has to be on for the pass through to work otherwise you get no mains. The inverter does not invert unless it needs to make up a current shortfall.

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you wire all the 230v side through the multiplus you can control the threshold to when assist turns on better than when you have say the fridge and heating separately as the multiplus doesn't know how much power these are using so could still trip the ehu.
We have the fridge and Alde supply before our Buttner, everything else backed up by the inverter, Alde load monitor on the incoming mains cable sorts out the bollard trip issue.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The advantage of using the Alde heating through the Multiplus is that the system may not have the benefit of the heat exchanger and the addition circulation pump

In that case you can have on road heating and hot water for free!

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
We have the fridge and Alde supply before our Buttner, everything else backed up by the inverter, Alde load monitor on the incoming mains cable sorts out the bollard trip issue.
Does the Buttner gear also have a load monitor on the incoming mains so it knows what the fridge and Alde are using ?

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Only really happens when you are on ehu so few and far between really šŸ‘šŸ»
Thatā€™s it!!!!!!
Iā€™ve only hooked up twice to run some free leccy off a bollard, thatā€™s why Iā€™m not used to it operating that way, Iā€™m usually on gas and battery for everythingšŸ‘šŸ‘
Itā€™s all a learning curve I suppose, but embarrassing when you learn everything does as it should but itā€™s operator erroršŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø
So the few free Euro Iā€™ve scavenged off the bollards, Iā€™ve had to put back in this morning to charge back up!!
What a toolšŸ¤ŖšŸ¤ŖšŸ¤Ŗ

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Does the Buttner gear also have a load monitor on the incoming mains so it knows what the fridge and Alde are using ?
It has a load monitor but only watches what goes through the inverter I believe, in the winter on say a 12 amp hook up I set the Alde load monitor to 10 amps and the Buttner to 2 amps so can keep the heating on and boil the kettle or even run the air con heat pump to get faster warm up, if I wanted to prioritise battery charging I would wind the Alde down and the Buttner up.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Thatā€™s it!!!!!!
Iā€™ve only hooked up twice to run some free leccy off a bollard, thatā€™s why Iā€™m not used to it operating that way, Iā€™m usually on gas and battery for everythingšŸ‘šŸ‘
Itā€™s all a learning curve I suppose, but embarrassing when you learn everything does as it should but itā€™s operator erroršŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø
So the few free Euro Iā€™ve scavenged off the bollards, Iā€™ve had to put back in this morning to charge back up!!
What a toolšŸ¤ŖšŸ¤ŖšŸ¤Ŗ
I'm glad I've got a basic inverter I switch on and off as needed, but it does run our fridge so have to put that on gas if I'm using it for a long while.

Feb 20, 2023
South Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago E line 50 D
Exp
I think the multiplus is great, and offer so many more flexibility. I presume you can just put it charge only mode prior to retiring, then if it runs out or power cut then it will not revert to inverting

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I think the multiplus is great, and offer so many more flexibility. I presume you can just put it charge only mode prior to retiring, then if it runs out or power cut then it will not revert to inverting
In charge only you don't get the pass through so you won't have any mains in the van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Here is a wild theory for those who really understand these things to pull apart.

EHU plugged in and runs out of credit - Multiplus switches to inverter mode - Inverter provides different AC using out of phase 115V down positive and negative wires - EHU still plugged into bollard where negative wire is earth bonded - Inverter sending 115V to earth - 12V battery powering drain to earth.

Answer, unplug the EHU as soon as credit runs out?
You are not even close, When credit runs out, and the ehu stops providing the Ac input, the multiplus disconnects from ehu via relay. If no AC IN present, the relay will not engage. It will only engage if mains are present, within parameter setting values, to allows synchronization.
It only works with the ehu earth while is synchronized and receiving AC IN. After AC IN disappears, the relay opens, and multiplus functions on its own settings as stand alone.
Also to have such a leak upstream, the inverter does not allow it, unless you have installed a ESS assistant with relevant country code for feeding upstream into the grid, via AC IN.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
The Multiplus has three switch settings on the remote panel

Charge

Off

Inverter

If on inverter the panel can be set to reflect the amperage of the supply, and as already been explained, it will make up the shortfall IE Supply is 6amp, the load is 8amp the inverter will make up the ā€˜missingā€™ 2amp to avoid tripping the supply

If, the mains supply is disconnected or switches off, the multiplus will continue to make up the difference! in the scenario 8amps

If you select Charger it will only act as a charger, so does nothing when the mains is disconnected

Off is everything off

Edit: I did install it with the BUS so I could switch the inverter on and off through the App, but kept leaving the bloody thing on and flattened my Lithiums a couple of times, and once was pissed and really couldnā€™t understand what had happened

Sometimes looking at a switch panel is a Godsend!
You can set up a notifications on vrm, to email and worn you of your preferred parameters, I have SOC 20% warning, loss of internet warning, and sub 2C deg. There are loads of notifications you can set up.

Apr 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
In charge only you don't get the pass through so you won't have any mains in the van.
My manual says this:

"3.1. On/Off/Charger Only SwitchWhen switched to ā€˜onā€™, the inverter/charger is fully functional. The inverter will come into operation, and the LED ā€˜inverter onā€™ will light up. An AC voltage connected to the ā€˜AC inā€™ terminal will be switched through to the ā€˜AC outā€™ terminal, if within specifications. The inverter will switch off, the ā€˜mains onā€™ LED will light up, and the charger commences charging. The ā€˜bulkā€™, ā€˜absorptionā€™ or ā€˜floatā€™ LEDs will light up, depending on the charger mode.If the voltage at the ā€˜AC-inā€™ terminal is rejected, the inverter will switch on.

When the switch is switched to ā€˜charger onlyā€™, only the battery charger of the inverter/charger will operate (if mains voltage ispresent). The input voltage is also switched through to the ā€˜AC outā€™ terminal in this mode.

NOTE: When only the charger function is required, ensure that the switch is switched to ā€˜charger onlyā€™. This prevents the inverter from being switched on if the mains voltage is lost, thus preventing your batteries from running flat".

What I have always wanted was the ability to have passthrough without the charger, but not having to use VRM or some clever node red stuff. (Some time ago there was a firmware "bug" that let you do this, but the new firmware doesn't allow it anymore).......

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
My manual says this:

"3.1. On/Off/Charger Only SwitchWhen switched to ā€˜onā€™, the inverter/charger is fully functional. The inverter will come into operation, and the LED ā€˜inverter onā€™ will light up. An AC voltage connected to the ā€˜AC inā€™ terminal will be switched through to the ā€˜AC outā€™ terminal, if within specifications. The inverter will switch off, the ā€˜mains onā€™ LED will light up, and the charger commences charging. The ā€˜bulkā€™, ā€˜absorptionā€™ or ā€˜floatā€™ LEDs will light up, depending on the charger mode.If the voltage at the ā€˜AC-inā€™ terminal is rejected, the inverter will switch on.

When the switch is switched to ā€˜charger onlyā€™, only the battery charger of the inverter/charger will operate (if mains voltage ispresent). The input voltage is also switched through to the ā€˜AC outā€™ terminal in this mode.

NOTE: When only the charger function is required, ensure that the switch is switched to ā€˜charger onlyā€™. This prevents the inverter from being switched on if the mains voltage is lost, thus preventing your batteries from running flat".

What I have always wanted was the ability to have passthrough without the charger, but not having to use VRM or some clever node red stuff. (Some time ago there was a firmware "bug" that let you do this, but the new firmware doesn't allow it anymore).......
You have two possibilities to do this: disable ac charger on ve bus settings, or just limit the DC amps provided by the AC IN.
Without vrm, you can get a ve bus dongle to access the inverter,

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
It might as well all be in German, I am sure I am not on my own when I say I have not got a clue what you are all talking about . Mind blowingšŸ˜‚
Howard my mate, Ich bin ein Berliner actually means ā€œI am a doughnutā€ in GermanšŸ‘

Made famous in a speech by JFK on a visit to Germany in the 60ā€™s

Top and bottom is thereā€™s nothing wrong with the electrics, itā€™s the idiot thatā€™s working themšŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Howard my mate, Ich bin ein Berliner actually means ā€œI am a doughnutā€ in GermanšŸ‘

Made famous in a speech by JFK on a visit to Germany in the 60ā€™s

Top and bottom is thereā€™s nothing wrong with the electrics, itā€™s the idiot thatā€™s working themšŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
I know that šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøitā€™s all this electric jargon thatā€™s confusing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back