Engine and rear suspension problems

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato130 Swift
Hi everyone im new on here and would appreciate some advice?
just puchased a 1988 Fiat ducato 2.5d 130 Cab Swift that has two ? faults first the engine starts and runs nice but no powerseems to be restricted around 2- 2500rpm struggles to get up the slightest of inclines even one i didnt know existed !!! Had new fuel lift pump and now an electric pump but still the same? Second the rear suspension is low and bounces up & down like a yo yo,thought it was shocks and maybe springs but dosnt have any {tortion bar} is there any adjustment? if not can i fit air suspension/ please help as its such a lovely Motorhome.
Thanks
Al Bondo

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Torsion bar suspension- needs greasing every year with wheels off the ground. Or bars will snap inside. Roughly £3000 for a refurb.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
As regards power, sounds like the engine is in "limp" mode. That was never the most powerful of motors but it should still rev freely. Do you have any warning lights, i.e. engine-shaped orange light, on the dash? For me first step would be get/buy/borrow an ODB reader and check what it comes up with. (The cynic in me suggests someone has "removed" the warning light.............!)

Unfortunately I'm with Jev88, looks like the torsion bar is U/S. Air suspension won't help correct that although IMO it is a good addition for handling etc.

Was this a private or dealer purchase, sorry to say that I think you may have bought a lemon - I'd be checking everything else or getting someone who knows about m/hs to check it out for you before laying out any more cash. Probably not what you wanted to hear.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Torsion bar suspension- needs greasing every year with wheels off the ground. Or bars will snap inside. Roughly £3000 for a refurb.
Some do not, you need to check the axel casing for a grease nipple,
Mine is a 2008 and doesn’t have any,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
Rear suspension, it could be the shock absorbers but if the axle has not been greased every year could be broken torsion bars.
A company called Faiser Brown will rebuild the axle about £1500.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato130 Swift
I'm wondering if a 1988 vehicle has a obd port, I would try a service air fuel filters to start with.

Hi will check laater for grease points cant say ive seen any? its sitting an inch or two low at the back and just a bit bouncy!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato130 Swift
Hi will check laater for grease points cant say ive seen any? its sitting an inch or two low at the back and just a bit bouncy!!!
All filters and pump renewed.
dosnt have shocks or springs and and no ecu...
Appreciate your help
thankyou.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I thought the Scottish firm Fraser-Brown did it for around 750 pounds?

it was shocks and maybe springs but dosnt have any {tortion bar}
As said above if torsion bars they could be broken & the firm Fraser Brown in Scotland are the No.1 for repairs
I'm wondering if a 1988 vehicle has a obd port,
no
dosnt have shocks or springs

even with torsion bars (alko chassis) it should have shock absorbers on an inclined angle .

Upvote 1
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
:welco:
Rear suspension, it could be the shock absorbers but if the axle has not been greased every year could be broken torsion bars.
A company called Faiser Brown will rebuild the axle about £1500.

Thanks for sharing that cheaper axle fix. I was going off what my previously owner paid.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato130 Swift
I thought the Scottish firm Fraser-Brown did it for around 750 pounds?

As said above if torsion bars they could be broken & the firm Fraser Brown in Scotland are the No.1 for repairs

no

even with torsion bars (alko chassis) it should have shock absorbers on an inclined angle .
Hi All many thanks your replies, on inspection of rear axle I found out that it is a Axles of Bolton bar axle, with no shocks or springs, just looks like a normal braked trailer axle that’s dropped a couple of inches and the rear is just bounce on the Tyres!!! Going to upload some pics and identification plate if anyone could steer me in the right direction re repair, can’t find any phone no for original manufacture??
Thanks

IMG_2267.jpeg

IMG_2272.jpeg

IMG_2273.jpeg

IMG_2274.jpeg

IMG_2275.jpeg

IMG_2276.jpeg

IMG_2277.jpeg

IMG_2281.jpeg

IMG_2283.jpeg

IMG_2284.jpeg

IMG_2290.jpeg

IMG_2293.jpeg

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
That's a bit of an agricultural axle for a camper, but looks to be original, unless it had an Alko axle that failed and they just inserted a trailer one ?
Those "Indespesion" type axles with the rubber inserts tend not to use shock absorbers as the rubber is supposedly "self damping".
I wonder, given it's age, if the rubber has just lost it's elasticity, allowing the radius arms to sag ?
I'm sure I saw a German video on YouTube where the guy actually pulled out the stubs and fitted new rubber inserts. Mind he did have a special bolt on jig to do it with ?
Edit, found the video, but it's quite involved.

It says the video is unavailable, but it does play if you click on "Watch on YouTube"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
A
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato130 Swift
It looks to me like an Indespension trailer axle with the hub pivot shaft held within rubber blocks inside the axle beam. I have them on my boat and m/cycle trailers. You can probably fit replacement suspension units

View attachment 965923

View attachment 965910

https://indespension.co.uk/indespension-trailer-parts/trailer-parts-and-accessories/suspension-axles
Hi all
Frazor Brown is the man for the job, he knows the axle and will complete refurb £550.00 including collection and delivery with a one week turn round!!! happy days thanks all for your responses.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato130 Swift
Just need to sort engine problem now, as mentioned earlier it is similar to an engine being in limp mode? does anyone know what engine would fit on same mounts that has better power? as if i get get this one sorted ive learnt apparantly they are under powered for this motorHome?

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
Just need to sort engine problem now, as mentioned earlier it is similar to an engine being in limp mode? does anyone know what engine would fit on same mounts that has better power? as if i get get this one sorted ive learnt apparantly they are under powered for this motorHome?
I think your van like mine has no “limp” mode or ecu for that matter. I had similar restricted rev & power problems on my 2.8idt. Think in the end I decided it was bad fuel or water in The tank. Changed the fuel filter a couple of times & now is fine. Still slow on steep hills but revs to 3500 easily, need ear plugs though🤣.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
That axle refurb is a bargain 👍. I would persevere with the engine problem, the 2.5 is somewhat underpowered but you won't want to go more than 60mph anyway 😎 and uphill is what the gears are for. Try and find an 'older' diesel mechanic, from experience, anyone under about 50 years old won't have a clue.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Friend had an LT 35 that was gutless, I said you can get an add on turbo kit and manifold for it. He said that the lights and brakes weren't up to going any faster though !

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
bailey
Exp
5year
Hi everyone im new on here and would appreciate some advice?
just puchased a 1988 Fiat ducato 2.5d 130 Cab Swift that has two ? faults first the engine starts and runs nice but no powerseems to be restricted around 2- 2500rpm struggles to get up the slightest of inclines even one i didnt know existed !!! Had new fuel lift pump and now an electric pump but still the same? Second the rear suspension is low and bounces up & down like a yo yo,thought it was shocks and maybe springs but dosnt have any {tortion bar} is there any adjustment? if not can i fit air suspension/ please help as its such a lovely Motorhome.
Thanks
Al Bondo
get the head gasket checked

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
That axle refurb is a bargain 👍. I would persevere with the engine problem, the 2.5 is somewhat underpowered but you won't want to go more than 60mph anyway 😎 and uphill is what the gears are for. Try and find an 'older' diesel mechanic, from experience, anyone under about 50 years old won't have a clue.
No you definitely won’t want to go more than 60 even accidentally with a following wind down hill. Vans of a certain age are simply not made that way. 50/55 is tops for ours & feels comfortable at it.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi all
Frazor Brown is the man for the job, he knows the axle and will complete refurb £550.00 including collection and delivery with a one week turn round!!! happy days thanks all for your responses.
Now that's what you call a result.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back