Engine and rear suspension problems

Al Bonzo

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato130 Swift
Hi everyone im new on here and would appreciate some advice?
just puchased a 1988 Fiat ducato 2.5d 130 Cab Swift that has two ? faults first the engine starts and runs nice but no powerseems to be restricted around 2- 2500rpm struggles to get up the slightest of inclines even one i didnt know existed !!! Had new fuel lift pump and now an electric pump but still the same? Second the rear suspension is low and bounces up & down like a yo yo,thought it was shocks and maybe springs but dosnt have any {tortion bar} is there any adjustment? if not can i fit air suspension/ please help as its such a lovely Motorhome.
Thanks
Al Bondo

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Torsion bar suspension- needs greasing every year with wheels off the ground. Or bars will snap inside. Roughly £3000 for a refurb.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
As regards power, sounds like the engine is in "limp" mode. That was never the most powerful of motors but it should still rev freely. Do you have any warning lights, i.e. engine-shaped orange light, on the dash? For me first step would be get/buy/borrow an ODB reader and check what it comes up with. (The cynic in me suggests someone has "removed" the warning light.............!)

Unfortunately I'm with Jev88, looks like the torsion bar is U/S. Air suspension won't help correct that although IMO it is a good addition for handling etc.

Was this a private or dealer purchase, sorry to say that I think you may have bought a lemon - I'd be checking everything else or getting someone who knows about m/hs to check it out for you before laying out any more cash. Probably not what you wanted to hear.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Torsion bar suspension- needs greasing every year with wheels off the ground. Or bars will snap inside. Roughly £3000 for a refurb.
Some do not, you need to check the axel casing for a grease nipple,
Mine is a 2008 and doesn’t have any,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
Rear suspension, it could be the shock absorbers but if the axle has not been greased every year could be broken torsion bars.
A company called Faiser Brown will rebuild the axle about £1500.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Al Bonzo

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato130 Swift
I'm wondering if a 1988 vehicle has a obd port, I would try a service air fuel filters to start with.

Hi will check laater for grease points cant say ive seen any? its sitting an inch or two low at the back and just a bit bouncy!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Al Bonzo

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato130 Swift
Hi will check laater for grease points cant say ive seen any? its sitting an inch or two low at the back and just a bit bouncy!!!
All filters and pump renewed.
dosnt have shocks or springs and and no ecu...
Appreciate your help
thankyou.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I thought the Scottish firm Fraser-Brown did it for around 750 pounds?

it was shocks and maybe springs but dosnt have any {tortion bar}
As said above if torsion bars they could be broken & the firm Fraser Brown in Scotland are the No.1 for repairs
I'm wondering if a 1988 vehicle has a obd port,
no
dosnt have shocks or springs

even with torsion bars (alko chassis) it should have shock absorbers on an inclined angle .

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back