Electric issues (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
FiatDucato2005
Hello everyone,
I am new to Motorhome, just bought few days ago 2005 Fiat Duato Burstner 530 with 2.0jtd. Previous oner neglected this Motorhome as it was left 6 months on the driveway without charging leisure battery. When I bought it, both batteries were dead. I bought starter and leisure batteries BUT: 12V works when engine runs (water pump inside water tank stops working after some time) but 12V on fully charged leisure battery (engine off) doesn't work at all (no green light on the panel above the door) When hooked up to 230V have power in the sockets but fridge and water don't work. Checked and cleaned all the fuses and connectors and no difference. It has Electoblock EBL99 which I switched off before changed batteries, so my only conclusion is faulty EBL99 after being left with dead batteries for 6 months? Anyone has similar experience or anyone know the problem solution please, any advice would be appreciated.
Regards
Ragnar

Mar 21, 2022
Bradford, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 711
Exp
Since 2009
For 12v side not working I would suspect a stuck/faulty relay.

Re fridge, are you saying it does not work when switched to 240v?

Also, water pump will work off 12v usually.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RagnarViking
May 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
FiatDucato2005
Thank you repairer for your suggestions.
Will check relay tomorrow.
Fridge doesn't work on 230V but have power in sockets and fuses are ok
Everything seems to work on 12V with engine on but water pump just stops after about 3-5 mins.
Regards

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Should be a very large capacity fuse (30 to 50 amps) very close to the leisure battery.
If it blows all 12v functions stop but should work with engine running.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It has Electoblock EBL99 which I switched off before changed batteries,
That was your fatal mistake, on an EBL more than a few years old never ever turn that switch off, they are famous for not turning back on.
Spray some contact cleaner into the switch and turn it off and on several times.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RagnarViking
May 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
FiatDucato2005
Should be a very large capacity fuse (30 to 50 amps) very close to the leisure battery.
If it blows all 12v functions stop but should work with engine running.
Thank you papajohn for replying.
I checked amd cleaned all fuses including both on leisure battery and are ok.
Regards

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Schaudt Elektroblock EBL 99 Fuseboard with Integrated Charger

Description - The EBL99 is a combined 12V distribution system and mains charger in one unit, typically fitted to Hymer, Burstner vehicles. It is controlled by an associated IT, DT or LT control panel usually located near the door.

Typical Faults -These units often have broken mains charger due to spikes and surges or the use of a generator. Sometimes they do not respond to the on/off buttons on the control panel.

Technical Information - If your EBL does not work and your control panel will not display one/both battery voltages then please check your 50A/20A/2A fuses by your vehicle or leisure batteries

Need fuses? Click here: Standard ATO Fuses

OPTIONS:
Exchange -
We offer direct replacement items from stock with a full 1 year warranty. On receipt of your exchange unit we will check the unit visually for suitability and despatch your replacement within 24-48hrs.

Repair - Send your unit to us for a full professional examination in our Electronics Labs. Our repairs benefit from a 1 year warranty on all the parts and labour that we use. For this unit we do not need your control panel. For full details of the advantages of our repairs service please <Click here>

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RagnarViking
May 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
FiatDucato2005
That was your fatal mistake, on an EBL more than a few years old never ever turn that switch off, they are famous for not turning back on.
Spray some contact cleaner into the switch and turn it off and on several times.
EBL99 suggests to switch it off every time when changing leisure battery, so I did.
Regards

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RagnarViking
May 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
FiatDucato2005
Schaudt Elektroblock EBL 99 Fuseboard with Integrated Charger

Description - The EBL99 is a combined 12V distribution system and mains charger in one unit, typically fitted to Hymer, Burstner vehicles. It is controlled by an associated IT, DT or LT control panel usually located near the door.

Typical Faults -These units often have broken mains charger due to spikes and surges or the use of a generator. Sometimes they do not respond to the on/off buttons on the control panel.

Technical Information - If your EBL does not work and your control panel will not display one/both battery voltages then please check your 50A/20A/2A fuses by your vehicle or leisure batteries

Need fuses? Click here: Standard ATO Fuses

OPTIONS:
Exchange -
We offer direct replacement items from stock with a full 1 year warranty. On receipt of your exchange unit we will check the unit visually for suitability and despatch your replacement within 24-48hrs.

Repair - Send your unit to us for a full professional examination in our Electronics Labs. Our repairs benefit from a 1 year warranty on all the parts and labour that we use. For this unit we do not need your control panel. For full details of the advantages of our repairs service please <Click here>
Thank you for replying,
"your EBL does not work and your control panel will not display one/both battery voltages then please check your 50A/20A/2A fuses by your vehicle or leisure batteries"
Actually control panel display both batteries voltage.
I will bear in mind your offer
Regards

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RagnarViking
May 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
FiatDucato2005
I never do but I know about the problem. You can pull the 50 amp and 2 amp fuses by the leisure battery that will kill all power to the EBL.
Thank you for suggestion Lenny HB,
Is it safe to pull both fuses? Understand to do it while EBL is on but following your previous thought that after switching EBL off it cannot be switched on again due to deterioration, what it's going to do?(Pulling both fuses) IF its off anyway? Sorry for stupid questions, but just learning new things to me, hope you understand.
Regards
I never do but I know about the problem. You can pull the 50 amp and 2 amp fuses by the leisure battery that will kill all power to the EBL.
Good morning, really sorry for delayed reply but I wasn't full member at that time (I am now).
Thank you for your reply Lenny, my question is: is it safe to pull both fuses? Is it gonna damage EBL? I am new to motorhomes so sorry for silly questions.
Reagards

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
I don't know if relevant to your system but many older MH had a selector switch to choose which battery is used for 12V - good for emergency if leisure battery dies. Same switch decided where EHU charger supplies power to also.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RagnarViking
May 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
FiatDucato2005
I don't know if relevant to your system but many older MH had a selector switch to choose which battery is used for 12V - good for emergency if leisure battery dies. Same switch decided where EHU charger supplies power to also.
Thank you Jev88, any chance you would know where this selector switch is usually located? There is nothing like that on EBL.
Regards

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RagnarViking
May 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
FiatDucato2005
It was a switch on main controller panel on mine. Picture of engine one way and hab the other..... Old plug-in system
Thanks Jev, mine doesn't have it. Its EBL99 with one switch on/off to leisure battery.

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
RagnarViking Jev was referring to the switch on the left with a picture of a van above and below it.
Selecting the upper position selects the cab/starter battery to power the habitation electrics.
Selecting the bottom position selects the leisure battery to power the habitation electrics.
I assume it has a middle posion so neither battery is providing power.

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2022
Bradford, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 711
Exp
Since 2009
On my previous van, an Elddis, I think, but could be wrong - switch was labelled van/car which was confusing, cannot remember if it had a centre setting, so as to not be switched to either van or leisure battery.

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2022
Bradford, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 711
Exp
Since 2009
It is hard to make out from your picture which it is switched to, it looks like van battery, should be switched down to leisure battery.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thank you for suggestion Lenny HB,
Is it safe to pull both fuses? Understand to do it while EBL is on but following your previous thought that after switching EBL off it cannot be switched on again due to deterioration, what it's going to do?(Pulling both fuses) IF its off anyway? Sorry for stupid questions, but just learning new things to me, hope you understand.
The 50 amp is the main feed for the 12 v distribution, the 2 amp fuse is the battery sense wire, you can pull both fuses then the EBL will be isolated from the leisure battery.
Worth checking the 2 amp fuse with a meter to confirm it is OK as the EBL won't turn on without that feed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RagnarViking
May 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
FiatDucato2005
It is hard to make out from your picture which it is switched to, it looks like van battery, should be switched down to leisure battery.
Thank you repairer. Unfortunately no difference whatsoever, pressing down to leisure battery and then 12v switch doesn't make it work. Still 12V works only while engine running.
Regards

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RagnarViking
May 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
FiatDucato2005
The 50 amp is the main feed for the 12 v distribution, the 2 amp fuse is the battery sense wire, you can pull both fuses then the EBL will be isolated from the leisure battery.
Worth checking the 2 amp fuse with a meter to confirm it is OK as the EBL won't turn on without that feed.
Thanks Lenny

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RagnarViking
May 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
FiatDucato2005
RagnarViking Jev was referring to the switch on the left with a picture of a van above and below it.
Selecting the upper position selects the cab/starter battery to power the habitation electrics.
Selecting the bottom position selects the leisure battery to power the habitation electrics.
I assume it has a middle posion so neither battery is providing power.
Thanks

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2022
Bradford, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 711
Exp
Since 2009
Thank you repairer. Unfortunately no difference whatsoever, pressing down to leisure battery and then 12v switch doesn't make it work. Still 12V works only while engine running.
Regards
I think it might be the relay that switches between cab and leisure battery.

I had a similar problem on a relatives Elddis van recently, the relay that switched between cab and leisure had a bad contact, I opened the relay and cleaned contact and got it working, plan to order a replacement for them.

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
The left switch shows the battery level.
Pressing up displays the vehicle battery level and pressing down displays the leisure battery level.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back