Elddis?? (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
We are looking for a replacement MH,(currently selling the one we have) and like the look of the Elddis models but don’t know much about this make.
Any information gratefully received.

Jul 21, 2015
Lymm, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam Toleno r
Exp
Since Oct 2014
This person does but management and recruitment/new employee training have 'lost it' totally.
We bought an Accordo 135 layout suited us. Build quality was so poor on way back from purchase in Newcastle had to stop and get screwdriver out to adjust virtually every internal door. After a few trips the battery box detached itself. The cables stopped it from becoming roadside debris. Fridge catch was missing so door used to open "on route". The bed mechanism was badly designed and badly constructed. Dealer said thats how they come to them, Mrs W found fridge catch on line. I had loads of free time to fix all the problems and eventually it became a loved and reliable member of the family and we were sad to sell it after three years of happy camping.

Upvote 0

Goldfinch

Free Member
Jan 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
getting soon
Peoples' experience depends so much on whether the faults are minor (and can be fixed easily either with a touch of DIY or quick trip to the dealership) or they are major problems. Our's very definitely fell into the latter category. We were v shocked that Elddis didn't care one iota and were prepared to deliberately conceal important information from us (we eventually used a "Subject Access Request" to reveal this information that we needed to know).

btw: Elddis had to comply with the "Subject Access Request" as it would have been an offence for them not to do so.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
It's still all second hand, my mate says ... etc.
My Eldiss is well put together. Everything works as it should. All doors and hinges are secure. The design and layout are great. The furniture is smart and as new. it drives very well. There's no trace of damp. I cannot fault it. Am I to believe it is the one van that has accidentally escaped the factory all perfect? As someone said, if they are all that bad, how can Hymer owned Eldiss still be in business?

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
............... and how do Elddis manage to stay in business when they supposedly build so many crap motorhomes and wobble boxes? 🤷‍♂️
Because they are cheap and to the uninitiated they look like a good buy.
When we were selling our first Hymer which was coming up for 6 years old had one couple looking at it and couldn't understand why I was asking more for a 6 year old van than they could buy a new Elidds for.

Upvote 0
May 5, 2022
Kidsgrove, North Staffordshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
It's still all second hand, my mate says ... etc.
My Eldiss is well put together. Everything works as it should. All doors and hinges are secure. The design and layout are great. The furniture is smart and as new. it drives very well. There's no trace of damp. I cannot fault it. Am I to believe it is the one van that has accidentally escaped the factory all perfect? As someone said, if they are all that bad, how can Hymer owned Eldiss still be in business?
Possibly because they bought the Explorer Group and not Elddis. They got Compass, Buccaneer, Xplore and Elddis.

Upvote 0
Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
if they are all that bad, how can Hymer owned Eldiss still be in business?
They are not all bad but too many of them are, due to poor quality control at the factory.
We have owned two, both bought new, so I feel qualified to respond.
Our first one was one of the good ones. Very few problems and we only sold it as we wanted a motorhome with a fixed bed.
Our second one was one of the bad ones. Some of the problems I can remember were -
1)Joint between cab roof and habitation roof not sealed properly. Mastic stopped halfway across the roof. They forgot to apply the other half in the factory.
2)Door step filling with water when driving in the rain. You could see daylight through a gap. Step badly fitted/sealed in factory.
3)Cracking to the fibreglass roof over cab. Appeared in the first 12 months.
4)Kitchen worktop had blisters.
5)Electrical problem when headlights were turned on. Elddis blamed Peugeot. It turned out to be an Elddis problem.
6)Numerous badly fitting doors, cupboards etc.
7)Waste pipes underneath flapping about and falling off due to lack of support brackets.
It is a pity that they can't get it right as a lot of the problems could be avoided with better quality control.
I did read recently that they were opening a new PDI facility at the factory, so perhaps things will improve.
Some of the minor problems could be "excused" when they were cheap, but some Elddis motorhomes are now over £80K!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
May 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992

They are not all bad but too many of them are, due to poor quality control at the factory.
We have owned two, both bought new, so I feel qualified to respond.
Our first one was one of the good ones. Very few problems and we only sold it as we wanted a motorhome with a fixed bed.
Our second one was one of the bad ones. Some of the problems I can remember were -
1)Joint between cab roof and habitation roof not sealed properly. Mastic stopped halfway across the roof. They forgot to apply the other half in the factory.
2)Door step filling with water when driving in the rain. You could see daylight through a gap. Step badly fitted/sealed in factory.
3)Cracking to the fibreglass roof over cab. Appeared in the first 12 months.
4)Kitchen worktop had blisters.
5)Electrical problem when headlights were turned on. Elddis blamed Peugeot. It turned out to be an Elddis problem.
6)Numerous badly fitting doors, cupboards etc.
7)Waste pipes underneath flapping about and falling off due to lack of support brackets.
It is a pity that they can't get it right as a lot of the problems could be avoided with better quality control.
I did read recently that they were opening a new PDI facility at the factory, so perhaps things will improve.
Some of the minor problems could be "excused" when they were cheap, but some Elddis motorhomes are now over £80K!!!!!!!!!
Man6 UK built motorhomes are 80k, some over 100k. The Continental brands have now moved up to the 140k to 160k as a starter price. A chap I know ordered an Adria over a year ago and did not spec any extras. Base model was 120k. Extras can to 60k. That is for a 3500kg model.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Not had any problems with our 10 year old Elddis Autoquest 175, and doubt we will change to a different van.

All motorhome manufacturers including the supposed perfect German made vans have some vans with problems.
But eldiss is a caravan maker that makes a few motorhomes 😉

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
............... and how do Elddis manage to stay in business when they supposedly build so many crap motorhomes and wobble boxes? 🤷‍♂️
Because people buy them

Like transits and range rovers

Doesn't make them good

I used to buy vw campers for decades , people used to say they were reliable .. they were terrible and unreliable.

But they have a following and that is what keeps them selling.

But they are not and never will be the sensible option.

I think it's the same with some motorhome manufacturers. And price probably plays a big part too

Personally I'd rather buy an older better quality vehicle than a brand new or nearly new lower quality.

When I bought my 9 year old frankia in 2017 I could have bought a brand new swift or eldiss for nearly the same money.

That frankia is still worth around 50k now but the new swift isn't

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2011
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 120
Exp
Since 2002
I have a fairly new one. I love the layout and implementation of it. The build quality is rubbish and the "workmanship" laughable. I very much doubt that I would buy one again...and there's nothing wrong with mine. The difference with a quality van of a similar age (In my case we spied a Burstner that we liked) was £20k at a year old, hence the choice.

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I don't believe for a moment that all Elddis MH's are anyway near perfect, but I do believe that they fill a price point in the market and to a certain degree there is an over expectation of what they are buying by some owners.

Remember that foreign vans are by no means exempt from problems at the many many threads on Fun proves.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I don't believe for a moment that all Elddis MH's are anyway near perfect, but I do believe that they fill a price point in the market and to a certain degree there is an over expectation of what they are buying by some owners.

Remember that foreign vans are by no means exempt from problems at the many many threads on Fun proves.
Very true , you get issues with any brand.

When you buy a lada you can't expect mercedes build quality. And that's why they will always sell . They may just need more maintenance and very careful owners.

I think the need to fit as much stuff as possible in them and still be under 3500kg causes many issues today . Its all plastic easily broken materials

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I bought my first caravan in 1973 and it was a Siddle Whirlwind, thats what they were called from 1960 to 1965 when Siddle Cook reversed his name and began calling them Eldis.
Useless information but I’m sat in the sun at Villajoyosa so plenty of spare time.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I bought my first caravan in 1973 and it was a Siddle Whirlwind, thats what they were called from 1960 to 1965 when Siddle Cook reversed his name and began calling them Eldis.
Useless information but I’m sat in the sun at Villajoyosa so plenty of spare time.
Well you learn something new every day

Upvote 0

Clangers

Free Member
May 21, 2021
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Pegasus Grand
Exp
Gone from 3 years 700 miles in Motorhome back to Caravaning
Because idiots like me didn't do their homework, are on a very small budget of £40,000, let the boss choose it and buy from a bunch of cowboys who didn't give a monkeys as soon as they banked the money.

Upvote 0
May 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
It will also depend on how often the owner uses them. Some sit on drives for months on end then have a trip out for 2 weeks with the kids. Spending 100k for that is stupid. So it has been said it fills a price range.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yes, I agree as I remember a few Funsters making comments on older Hymes compared to the newer offerings.
Yep I think up to around 2007/8 seemed to be better built with many brands.

But unfortunately the UK doesn't want folk keeping older vehicles, so everyone is being forced to buy more expensive poorer built everything .

I'm hoping one day people will realise its a big con and more to do with money than the environment but I'm not holding my breath .

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
When you buy a lada you can't expect mercedes build quality. And that's why they will always sell . They may just need more maintenance and very careful owners.

I did own a Lada Niva 4 x4 at one time and it was crap but unbreakable and embarrassed a few Range Rover owners on more than one occasion by being towed out by it. :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It will also depend on how often the owner uses them. Some sit on drives for months on end then have a trip out for 2 weeks with the kids. Spending 100k for that is stupid. So it has been said it fills a price range.
I think spending even 30k to do that is madness. I wouldn't want that money sitting doing nothing .

But my sister does similar with her van , maybe 6 weekends and 2 weeks a year for the last 5 or 6 years.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I did own a Lada Niva 4 x4 at one time and it was crap but unbreakable and embarrassed a few Range Rover owners on more than one occasion by being towed out by it. :ROFLMAO:
I can believe that .

One of the most capable old 4x4 jeeps there was .

Land rover etc is another brand that sells on a cult following not because they are reliable.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I come from the caravan world initially and Elddis, like Bailey, always had mixed reviews. The SOLID system they launched proved to be a disaster initially and leaked all over the place.

At one point there seemed to be more leaking Elddis than Bailey caravans which is remarkable. I say this as someone who was stupid enough to buy 2 new Bailey caravans. Both of them leaked, one like a sieve.

Coachman always had the best reputation but the price to match.

I now have a Hymer van, it does seem much better than the caravans we had, but isn’t fault free by any means.

I have seen Bailey have had problems with cupboard doors splitting in the recent cold spell, some on new vans. When you are chasing price points and every penny matters, quality costs.

They only need to make it last three years is something I now always keep in mind.

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Land rover etc is another brand that sells on a cult following not because they are reliable.
Thread drift alert…….

a few years ago we visited the motor museum at Gaydon, mainly ‘cos I had a Jaaaag at the time. Walked in and almost the first thing seen was one of the original land rovers. Took one look and said “typical land rover…. Still leaking oil even in a museum. The steward who heard this wasn’t overly impressed. Not quite the end of the story though; in 2021 had a temp job as area management for the census. Received the security passes for the team leaders and called around each to introduce and had over the pass. A gruff bloke called Robin got his pass, looked at me and said “I remember you - you pointed out the oil leak on the land rover!” Oh dear :blush:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back