Elddis SoLiD Construction Damp Issues (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Are but it's not as bigger pile of crap as a lot of other vans, at the end of the day a Hymer is only a mid range van.:D
It shouldn’t really matter what price bracket it’s in it should be built with a bit of care and the customer should have a reasonable expectation that the components used are of a reasonable quality.
We had an under dash insulation mat supplied with our van as part of the Artic package, HYMER supplied a LHD one but they now say they don’t make a RHD version ?
I have pretty much told the dealers to tell them I don’t give a ***** tell them to ****** and make what they have promised and supplied, but all you get from other owners is “you don’t need it as Hymer’s are well insulated “
Well I do need it and the cab is in my mind cold in winter.
That’s just one example of crap service

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
That's the real sad bit about it Paul so I'm blaming the R&D element of Elddis and its inability to design a structure that stops water ingress.

Clearly the R&D element was at fault with my van. It was down to 2 separate design faults that the 1.5metre long lump of plywood fell off the roof of my Elddis after just one weeks use.

There clearly was a design fault in the microwave cupboard for it to start to fall off the wall after one week's use and then start to fall off again within another couple of weeks after being repaired.

I cannot begin to explain why the roof started to collapse after 3 weeks of use, and several months later, neither could Elddis.

TinaL's posts sums up some of the other problems. 8 cupboard doors coming loose because the hinge screws had been overtightened. 4 bed frame hinges coming loose because the screws were too short.

The lines are moving and don't stop, so if a fitters screwbox has run out of the appropriate size screw, then the nearest to it will do, even if its too short, and then over tightened with his power screw driver. They have yet to prove that there is any form of on production line QA/inspections in place, they may inspect 1 in five vans, but they are shipped out to the dealers regardless for them to fix before handover to client, been the same for years, which is why I feel the dealers are the only ones with a chance of getting production procedures improved, but it hasn't happened yet.

I think Basildog sums the whole thing up nicely:

One of the biggest problems actually seems to be other owners who are actually prepared to put up with poor quality and diabolical customer service.

Whilst at the NEC in October I had a look at a brand new van the same model as I had. You could push the roof up and down with one hand exactly where ours had dropped. Ours had dipped 2cm in the middle. Also the microwave cupboard in this van was starting to drop too.
Pic12 Roof collapse.JPG

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 14th year & still loving it.
I amazed that in todays world of advanced sealants and CNC technology that motorhomes and caravans are no better at keeping water out than they were back in the 1960's.

Just look at the amount of boats floating around the coast of Britain and they don't suffer from water ingress and they live in the sea.
Motorhome manufacturers just don't appear to care about any after sales service to their customers, they don't have any sort of quality control system, certainly not one that works and yet the public flock to shows and dealers to part with their hard earned cash.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I amazed that in todays world of advanced sealants and CNC technology that motorhomes and caravans are no better at keeping water out than they were back in the 1960's.

Just look at the amount of boats floating around the coast of Britain and they don't suffer from water ingress and they live in the sea.
Motorhome manufacturers just don't appear to care about any after sales service to their customers, they don't have any sort of quality control system, certainly not one that works and yet the public flock to shows and dealers to part with their hard earned cash.
Probably because 99% them are ok ??

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
We're taking our Elddis for it's first habitation service and damp check tomorrow, all this talk is making us slightly nervous. We've loved our first year with our 'van. The only issues we've had were down to tyre pressure sensors giving a false warning, and last week we had a false Change Engine Oil warning while in the Outer Hebrides which we've been assured is a known issue with 2017/18 Euro 6 Peugeot 2.0 litre engines. My feeling is that there are good vans and bad vans of all makes.
If the guys building these vehicles are treated with respect and get a fair days pay for a fair days work they will take pride in their work

Apr 1, 2022
Lincoln, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis autoquest 155
Exp
since 2000
I have a 4 year old Elddis 155.At last habitation check in May it got damp readings of upto 90%+.All 3 sides of the van are affected.Elddis say the SoLiD construction should eliminate such problems
Has anyone had similar problems and how did Elddis resolve them
I have 2017 Elddis Autoquest Evolution both main Heki's letting in water, Front Heki replaced at my expense but left with high damp readings on flooring and wall behind passenger seat. water ingress reported to supplier for warranty repair if still in due to covid etc.

Supplier response "I don’t have the time and space in our body shop to do it for the foreseeable future". Do I contact Elddis SoLID?

Do I get Heki resealed to stop ingress or let ingress get worse whilst waiting for perhaps an offer of repair from Elddis

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I have 2017 Elddis Autoquest Evolution both main Heki's letting in water, Front Heki replaced at my expense but left with high damp readings on flooring and wall behind passenger seat. water ingress reported to supplier for warranty repair if still in due to covid etc.

Supplier response "I don’t have the time and space in our body shop to do it for the foreseeable future". Do I contact Elddis SoLID?

Do I get Heki resealed to stop ingress or let ingress get worse whilst waiting for perhaps an offer of repair from Elddis
If you know where it's leaking I would get it fixed, no point making a bad situation worse.

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
If under warranty and the supplier can't or won't help, tell them you will get it repaired and they can pick up the bill. Elddis will tell you take it back to the supplying dealer, but if pushed will let you take it to an approved workshop in my experience. Getting them to stand by the 10 year water ingress warranty though would mean you have to provide documented evidence that the van has had a hab check every year from new as a minimum

If you don't get anywhere with either, you still have to protect your considerable investment and need the work done, even if paying yourself. Then there is the option of the small claims court to recover reasonable costs of repair that the supplyer should honour under warranty. In my experience the consumer has a 99% chance of winning if the right procedure is followed

Give supplier the opportunity to fix in reasonable time

Offer to get the work done if they pay

Send a letter before action to advise the dealer you are going to start court proceedings

Then send full documentation and an absolutely truthful statement of the facts to the dealer and copy it into the online claim form for small court (up to £5000 IIRC). The court writes to the dealer for their side and if needs be sets a date for the hearing. It is not court as in with a jury or an old man in a wig. You sit down round a table with the judge an the other party and discuss. If the judge agrees with you, or the dealer does not bother to turn up, which is common, they find in your favour and order the dealer to pay up. If they still don't the court can and will send the bailiffs round. This takes a matter of a couple of months usually and the court is there to protect the rights of the individual. You won't need a solicitor taking this action and it is cheap, set cost (you can claim the cost in your claim)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We had an Elddis for a few months. It didn’t seem too bad, (changed it for a layout better suited to our needs), but…..
……….after about two months we noticed water ingress at the “garage” door and asked for it to be put right under warranty. Elddis refused on the grounds that no damage had yet occurred. Presumably I had to let it deteriorate sufficiently to cause rot or separation before they were willing to even look at it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

AnnieB

Free Member
Jan 6, 2021
Grt Manchester
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Air
Exp
8+ years

We had a similar problem with the Heiki on our 2015 Eldiss 115. After an attempt to resell it the repairers found a hairline crack in the frame was the issue, Had the frame replaced and resolved the problem.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 DL (2017)
Exp
Well travelled
What amuses me with this particular thread on poor build quality, is the usual threads that crop up wanting to know which Sika sealant/adhesive is best to stick something on the roof ?

I mean, why worry when the main body is falling to bits anyway ?

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 DL (2017)
Exp
Well travelled
HYMER.

High-price, yet many expensive repairs?:cool:

My 2012 Hymer B544 is in very good shape after 42,000 miles. The build quality is very good, most problems I've had have been minor and repairable be myself. There are a few squeaks and rattles now, but nothing bad, but I'm amazed it's not worse when you consider the state of the roads. Only things like the clutch and timing belt replacement are beyond me but hardly a Hymer fault. Perhaps being older it is better built than newer models ?
We looked at new models from various brands, but things like the double floor construction, metal handles and proper hinges on the doors and cabinets and real good quality ply construction of the cabinets and interior impressed me. I fit kitchens and bathrooms for a living and see much poorer construction methods and materials in those than in my Hymer.
We bought ours privately and paid cash, in 2017, with the intention of keeping it for at least 10 years, which is still the plan, as we are very happy with it.

It's unfortunate that people get lemons, but the industry needs to up its game and when I see some construction methods I wince and think, that's not going to last. My brother had a Lunar back in early 2000's which was nicknamed the leaky Lunar.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
I have got a theory. We had our SoLiD English built van delivered at the end of June 2018 and it's been perfect in every way.

Rumour has it that German vans built that year have had many issues.

There's a certain amount of logic there, when you sit and think about it.
England were flying high in the World Cup getting to the Semi Finals:party: the workers were on cloud 9 and took great pride in their work, whilst Germany never qualified :rofl: and were all a bit p**sed.

I'm just glad that my new English built van isn't getting delivered just before Christmas this year :giggler: :reel:

A lesson to anyone looking to order a new van (y)

Last edited:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
England were flying high in the World Cup getting to the Semi Finals:party: the workers were on cloud 9 and took great pride in their work, whilst Germany never qualified :rofl: and were all a bit p**sed.
OK Davy lad when did Auto-trail shift to building in Scotland?

Aw the tears seems tae go through the roof!:whistle2:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back