Elddis SoLiD Construction Damp Issues (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
''SOLID warranty of 10 years did not cover the front or rear panels''

Never heard so much rubbish in all my life. Sounds like these new solid construction methods are worse than the preceding ones.

Yep, it just goes to show how crap the Elddis Warranty is Paul.

Have a look at this thread which was started on the 20th May 2019 via the CMC Forum:

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Yep, it just goes to show how crap the Elddis Warranty is Paul.

Have a look at this thread which was started on the 20th May 2019 via the CMC Forum:

Really interesting, thanks Andrew
What a shame they build them so close to us too and we have to then go and buy a foreign made van.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
German vans are no longer built by Germans and low wage import labout does not have any real care about it.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
German vans are no longer built by Germans and low wage import labout does not have any real care about it.
That could be a bit of a generalisation, the factories that I have been around I would say that the majority were German, if they are a "German" van built in Slovenia or someplace similar then no they won't be German workers.

After saying that the last conversation we had with the sales boss of one of the big/expensive German manufacturers he was saying how they were struggling to recruit enough "suitable" employees from the local area so the danger then is that they employ "unsuitable" labour (my interpretation not his)

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2019
East Riding Of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years Caravan 13 years Motorhome
I guess we were very lucky with our Elddis as we really liked it however we wanted a garage aclass again so we changed. However all this German is best is a myth just read Honest John in the Telegraph regarding there cars. Its all about badge snobbery . Having met 3 Hymer owners who had major issues with them, a Burstener owner with major issues on his van it made wary of them but did not put me off the possibility of buying one if the right one came along. I did not jump on the bandwaggon of kicking them when they are down which seems to be a bit of a sport on forums today. Having had a few different MH,s and even more caravans what kept my faith in things working out is the dealers/manufactureres have always been very helpful and most issues were sorted to our satisfaction. We have had more problems with the suppliers to their industry ie availability of parts and not honouring the spirit of their warranties. So I just hope this Elddis problem is sorted out given the chance and the bear bating eases off.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
So I just hope this Elddis problem is sorted out given the chance and the bear bating eases off.

Get real! We lost pretty well a whole year of holidaying, a chunk of money and in return ended up with a considerable amount of stress in the process thanks to Elddis and their cowboy dealer. I think you would feel very different under those circumstances.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Really interesting, thanks Andrew
What a shame they build them so close to us too and we have to then go and buy a foreign made van.

That's the real sad bit about it Paul so I'm blaming the R&D element of Elddis and its inability to design a structure that stops water ingress.

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
The 10 year water ingress warranty drops to a 7 year from new for the second owner and the warranty is only transferred over to the new owner after they hand over a £50 admin fee as I found out when I went to transfer ours over.
£50 for a 7 year warranty ain't bad!

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Hey Lenny, now they are all the same company, Hymer will be building them this way soon ???
They are building them like that now. As my friends who work there say the company want increased production with less costs and fewer working hours. Sounds like a better recipe for extra water ingress .
They have a dedicated workforce but if you treat them like s... you will get s...

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
£50 for a 7 year warranty ain't bad!

That 7 years is if you buy the van secondhand in less than the first year old as that's 7 years from the purchased new date, so not good value for us when it's less than 2 years left of those 7 years as it was for us when we bought our van.

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
That 7 years is if you buy the van secondhand in less than the first year old as that's 7 years from the purchased new date, so not good value for us when it's less than 2 years left of those 7 years as it was for us when we bought our van.
Still £50 for a 2 year warranty isnt bad....

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Still £50 for a 2 year warranty isnt bad....
As you say £50 isn't bad to for a warranty for even two years, I think the big problem isn't the warranty but the fact that the warranty is needed because after the all the years and millions of boxes that the industry has turned out they still can't make a product that doesn't leak and/or rot, have they learnt nothing in this time as it seems we are going backwards.

Martin

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
I recall from college, for every defective product sold by a major company there will, statistically, be at least 8 negative comments generated through customer services, rather be social media today of course. And of course the cascade effect of people repeating the negative comments.

For a really great product perhaps 1 or two will comment with little or no repeats.

You just don’t get to hear the good news stories like you do the bad ones! That’s life I guess.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
You need to get real yourself !
Plenty of us Elddis owners out there that have had no problems or damp issues and are more than happy with our vans.

After my heap of junk was rejected, it was sold on by the dealer without any repairs being carried out, but after the motor mover was removed. Some unfortunate person bought it and once he realised how bad it was he got his money back. Whether this new dealer knew the history of the van is debatable, however he too got rid without any repairs being done. I was contacted by another person who had just bought it, from yet another dealer. After finding out all that was wrong with the van, and verifying the faults were still there, he was happy for the dealer to repair it for him. He'd paid £2k more than the previous person for the van! He didn't seem too worried that two dealers realised it was too difficult to repair economically and believed that his dealer could work miracles in a week.

This all goes to show there are people out there willing to accept whatever junk comes their way.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
This all goes to show there are people out there willing to accept whatever junk comes their way.

O dear, really have got a bit of a bee in their bonnet over this one. So if it was a well know fact that all Elddis were junk, how come you bought one then ?
As they say, one mans junk is another mans treasure. :moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2:

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
O dear, really have got a bit of a bee in their bonnet over this one. So if it was a well know fact that all Elddis were junk, how come you bought one then ?
As they say, one mans junk is another mans treasure. :moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2:
When did I ever say its a well known fact all Elddis are junk? Having has a Swift that had a major repair after 1 year and was a write off with damp 3 years later, plus 2 Baileys that both suffered from damp, I was running out of possible makes that were any good.

Can't see how a caravan with a broken collapsing roof and wall cupboards that keep falling off the wall can ever be considered as treasure.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Is the tone of your response really necessary.....?

I get that some people have good experiences and others bad with their vans (irrespective of which manufacturer), but clearly a number of posters have had a nightmare and rightly feel upset.

Clearly not a sympathetic ear...

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Yes, you are quite right I do not have a symphaetic ear to "This all goes to show there are people out there willing to accept whatever junk comes their way." Was there really a need for that comment ?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Yes, you are quite right I do not have a symphaetic ear to "This all goes to show there are people out there willing to accept whatever junk comes their way." Was there really a need for that comment ?
I think it sounds a pretty accurate remark if I was sold an almost new caravan with a history of issues still leaking I would want my money back!!!

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I think it sounds a pretty accurate remark if I was sold an almost new caravan with a history of issues still leaking I would want my money back!!!

You would appear to have misread the comment that was "This all goes to show there are people out there willing to accept whatever junk comes their way."

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
You would appear to have misread the comment that was "This all goes to show there are people out there willing to accept whatever junk comes their way."
No agreeing with what was said I think the last people to buy that caravan at a higher price than the ones before and accept a repair even after finding out its history do appear willing to accept a heap of junk. That doesn't mean that all Eldis products are a heap of junk!. You seem to feel the ops comment was aimed at you in some way I see no evidence of that you sound happy with your m/h and from what you say it has no problems. I have similar feelings when posts go on about how Ford base m/h are all being stolen we have extra locks but have friends who had one stolen (they had ordinary locks and left it on the road a few times in the same place) .

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I think we all agree that a modern bonding techniques with no wood or screws is a step in the right direction. Swift even went as far as the Germans in employing Ali Angle Extrusion Channel in which the floor and sidewalls sit into making a stronger frame and a more watertight bond.
The problem that not been addressed however is that the side fairings, front & back panels are then screwed & bonded to the wall & roof panels like they always were. There have been continuing problems with them becoming detached (not fixed properly or not enough mastic usually) or as indeed Swift rear ABS or GRP panels cracking at the top corners as they could not endure the twisting of the body when being towed.
Swifts technical answer/response to this major problem was....ship out end cover caps to cover the cracks and simply bond over the top of the cracks.
At least they recognised that problem upfront and didn't say like Elddis that the panels were not covered by the ingress warranty.

Reps have told me only recently that The swift Factory tours are not advised anymore, the worksite/production lines have rubbish everywhere, the work force are "scruffy buggers" they are not given the chance of putting any pride into their work, as they could be doing interior fits on one shift, then exterior chassis build the next. The lines are moving and dont stop, so if a fitters screwbox has run out of the appropriate size screw, then the nearest to it will do, even if its too short, and then over tightened with his power screw driver. They have yet to prove that there is any form of on production line QA/inspections in place, they may inspect 1 in five vans, but they are shipped out to the dealers regardless for them to fix before handover to client, been the same for years, which is why I feel the dealers are the only ones with a chance of getting production procedures improved, but it hasnt happened yet.
It was only recently that I found out(allegedly) that our 2017 early spring build Bolero 744,auto along with every Kon Tiki was 3/4 months late in build, because of a health & safety incident of a factory worker death, which stopped production of new vans entirely until resolved, did they ever admit it, or give reason on their forum?...did they hell! we cancelled our order having given Swift a fair chance to explain the delay.
Near miss wrong purchase for us with hindsight (y):)
Les

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
I have come to the conclusion that pretty much all vans in all price brackets are now built by monkeys working for faceless corporations controlled by bean counters (n):cry:
Our HYMER has had so many issues it’s beyond a joke and I absolutely hate the dam thing , nothing major but it’s just a mass produced pile of crap like any other van (n)
One of the biggest problems actually seems to be other owners who are actually prepared to put up with poor quality and diabolical customer service.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our HYMER has had so many issues it’s beyond a joke and I absolutely hate the dam thing , nothing major but it’s just a mass produced pile of crap like any other van (n)
Are but it's not as bigger pile of crap as a lot of other vans, at the end of the day a Hymer is only a mid range van.:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back