Elddis SoLiD Construction Damp Issues (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 16, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
New
I have a 4 year old Elddis 155.At last habitation check in May it got damp readings of upto 90%+.All 3 sides of the van are affected.Elddis say the SoLiD construction should eliminate such problems
Has anyone had similar problems and how did Elddis resolve them

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I would get a second opinion and if repeated speak to people you bought it off?

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
90% so not far off running water. Get it re-tested and then throw it back at Elddis if still that bad

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
With that level of damp it really needs to go back to the factory for a proper fix.
Despite Elddis claims for their SOLID construction they still frame the walls with untreated softwood.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
This is what Elddis say,

So I would contact your dealer.

SoLiD is dry
With over 95% fewer exterior screws, SoLiD Construction creates an impervious barrier to water ingress, backed by our industry-leading 10 Year Water Ingress Warranty.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
The 10 year water ingress warranty drops to a 7 year from new for the second owner and the warranty is only transferred over to the new owner after they hand over a £50 admin fee as I found out when I went to transfer ours over.

Apr 9, 2019
East Riding Of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years Caravan 13 years Motorhome
We were worried about our Elddis 185 as the dealer would only agree to the good Px trade in price he offered on the strenght of a full check, its the 1st time a dealer has bothered, in fact our last trade in was a 12 year old Rapido Aclassand we did the deal at a show and they never even looked at it till the day we took it in to pick our new van up. That was damp free because I bought a Sthil damptester before taking it in and from that I knew it was good.Luckily the Elddis was spot on so deal done.

OP
OP
C
Dec 16, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
New
Thanks for your replies.I've read Elddis's account of SoLiD "Water cannot get past a SoLiD joint".
What I would like to know is has someone had a similar problem and how was it resolved.It's booked to be taken back to the dealers in 2 weeks.What will they do to cure the damp.Do they take all the sides off and reseal?

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Thanks for your replies.I've read Elddis's account of SoLiD "Water cannot get past a SoLiD joint".
What I would like to know is has someone had a similar problem and how was it resolved.It's booked to be taken back to the dealers in 2 weeks.What will they do to cure the damp.Do they take all the sides off and reseal?

Hi are you on facebook if so look up elddis motorhome owners a lot of new elddis motorhomes are showing damp issues & someone on there will be able to help.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
So it's just a marketing ploy then by Elddis, why can't they build them like the Germans do, surely it's not that difficult is it.

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
So it's just a marketing ploy then by Elddis, why can't they build them like the Germans do, surely it's not that difficult is it.

The germans bought Elddis :LOL: they now owned by Hymer

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
The germans bought Elddis :LOL: they now owned by Hymer

Yes but they still build them the Elddis way and not the German way.
We have a 2005 German van parked up most of the year in the most exposed place in the country, well over 1100ft above sea level high up on the moors, It rains upwards and snows for fun, I would love to see what happens to the Elddis up here
image.jpeg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Look back over the past few months of water ingress on the forum and you will find it's mainly Germany van, so don't get to cocky. :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Considering Hymer alone produce more vans in a year than total UK production so it's not surprising you get a bit in the odd one.
The big difference if water does get in it doesn't do any damage due to their superior construction techniques.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Considering Hymer alone produce more vans in a year than total UK production so it's not surprising you get a bit in the odd one.
The big difference if water does get in it doesn't do any damage due to their superior construction techniques.

Are, bringing that old chestnut out again, you get some good mileage that one don't you. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
To be fair Paul not all German vans are built as well as yours :sneaky:

Martin

There used to be a coupe of youtube videos on Eldis production methods, IMHO they were shameful, showing guys nailing- yes with a hammer and nails- a roof on and then they went over to SOLID where in the video they said it was now better because they we re leaving the nails out Oh Please!!!

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
My experience with Elddis is poor. I bought a new Avante 840 Caravan in March 2017, 8’ wide and exactly what we were after. All well at the first service, we’d covered quite a few miles, including touring down through Spain. March 2019 it was in for its second service, when the workshop called to report finding 47% damp at the front of the van and 34%at the rear. We hadn’t noticed of course or would have reported it earlier. The van was just 23 months old at that point and we were told the repairs were not covered by warranty???

Elddis explained (through the dealer) that the body SOLID warranty of 10 years did not cover the front or rear panels, I was a little surprised to say the least. A few stern conversations later and my offer to return the van to the selling dealer as not of merchantable quality resulted in Elddis undertaking the repairs as a ‘gesture of good will’.

They had to replace the entire front windows panel and fit caps the rear panel. Thankfully, I part exchanged it the day it came out of the workshop, whilst it was still clean and tidy!

Elddis and all it’s offshoots will never get my custom again.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990

We bought a new Elddis caravan last year, made in the same factory. So much for SoLiD!!! Within a week of use a 5ft chunk of plywood had fallen off the ceiling and the microwave wall cupboard started parting company with the wall. After being repaired, within 3 weeks it started falling off again, and the roof also started to collapse. Along with a host of other construction faults we eventually got it rejected.

An Elddis engineer came out to look at it at the request of the dealer. It took him 5 weeks to come out, yet he only lived 20 minutes away. Any factory repair may take a very, very long time.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
My experience with Elddis is poor. I bought a new Avante 840 Caravan in March 2017, 8’ wide and exactly what we were after. All well at the first service, we’d covered quite a few miles, including touring down through Spain. March 2019 it was in for its second service, when the workshop called to report finding 47% damp at the front of the van and 34%at the rear. We hadn’t noticed of course or would have reported it earlier. The van was just 23 months old at that point and we were told the repairs were not covered by warranty???

Elddis explained (through the dealer) that the body SOLID warranty of 10 years did not cover the front or rear panels, I was a little surprised to say the least. A few stern conversations later and my offer to return the van to the selling dealer as not of merchantable quality resulted in Elddis undertaking the repairs as a ‘gesture of good will’.

They had to replace the entire front windows panel and fit caps the rear panel. Thankfully, I part exchanged it the day it came out of the workshop, whilst it was still clean and tidy!

Elddis and all it’s offshoots will never get my custom again.

''SOLID warranty of 10 years did not cover the front or rear panels''

Never heard so much rubbish in all my life. Sounds like these new solid construction methods are worse than the preceding ones.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
''SOLID warranty of 10 years did not cover the front or rear panels''

Never heard so much rubbish in all my life. Sounds like these new solid construction methods are worse than the preceding ones.
If you want to see some real BS watch this video.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back