EHU in Europe - no earth (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Not yet
Exp
Hi all,

Have stayed in a few European campsites recently where my electrical checker for polarity reports no earth. Hymer van seems happy enough but getting tingles from the chassis / wheels. I have got metal stabiliser legs and this seems to earth the van, but are there any other solutions? Is this unsafe?

Many thanks,

Mike

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
We live in a 1930’s semi on the south coast and during some decorating under the stairs I noticed the electic cable coming into the house from the pole only had 2 wires, further investigation confirmed we didn’t have an earth connection the the pole.

All of the in house wiring back to the consumer unit was to standard with earth wires connected.

This prompted an urgent call to Southern Electric who weren’t at all concerned but did agree to connect me up if I wanted…
There are several different arrangements for earthing an electrical system. There is in fact one where there are only two wires (live and neutral) from the supply, and the earth is provided by a long spike driven into the ground, usually just outside the property. You sometimes see a small square cover in the pavement with 'Earth Rod' written on it. I'm not saying that's what you had, just suggesting a possible solution. Technically that's called a TT system. It's not the usual arrangement in the UK but you do see it occasionally.

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2023
Weymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
DIY Transit
Exp
On first long trip
Nope, nothing at all.
On some houses Ive seen the cooker cable (40 or 50A circuit) earth conductor strapped to the incoming cold water pipe under the sink. Or an earth conductor from the Consumer Unit to the incoming water line under the stairs. Either would make an excellent earth. And in fact any water main-fed appliance you use (immersion heater, washing machine, etc) will provide a good connection from the earth wire to it (and hence from all earth conductors in your house as they are connected in the CU) to the ground, via the water piping. Even if there's a bit of plastic piping in the run somewhere, the water itself is a great conductor. Sadly, a van doesnt have these 'accidental earths', unless you have some metal legs or jacks its standing on; tyres are very good insulators unless they are wet (hence the big static shocks in dry weather).

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
tyres are very good insulators unless they are wet (hence the big static shocks in dry weather).
Tyre rubber contains carbon particles, which are included to ensure that the rubber is not a very good insulator. It is conductive enough to dissipate static electricity, which is why the static shock problem with cars has largely gone away. When I were a lad, most cars had a length of conductive rubber hanging off the back to dissipate static, but it's mostly unnecessary nowadays.

But I do agree that the tyres are nowhere near conductive enough to act as an earth for a motorhome.

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2023
Weymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
DIY Transit
Exp
On first long trip
Tyre rubber contains carbon particles, which are included to ensure that the rubber is not a very good insulator. It is conductive enough to dissipate static electricity, which is why the static shock problem with cars has largely gone away. When I were a lad, most cars had a length of conductive rubber hanging off the back to dissipate static, but it's mostly unnecessary nowadays.

But I do agree that the tyres are nowhere near conductive enough to act as an earth for a motorhome.
Yes, good point. My old Transit doesnt seem to have got the memo, though. I get a good belt off it most days in Portugal when I open the door. But its true, its very rare to get one in UK these days.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back