Dummy of the Day (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Locked out!!
My wife went for a shower so I thought I would make my self useful by sorting the rubbish out.
went out through the hab door and for some reason it locked behind me. Unfortunately the cab doors were still locked from night.
First problem having to explain we were locked out when my wife returned from shower.
Second, how to get back in.
Two strokes of luck. Guy opposite had an extending ladder and I had opened the skylight before sorting rubbish.
So entry made through skylight luckily I am still fit enough and slim enough to do this.
Embarrassment over I'm left perplexed.
Central locking does not operate on hab door so why did it lock behind me?
I thought it might be that we hadn't unlocked it from inside from overnight but it automatically unlocks when door is opened.
I haven't been able to replicate the situation.
I suppose the learning point is always unlock cab doors or have a key on person or secreted under van.
Any thoughts on why this happened?

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Yes we have that with our habitation door as well, it is a new van so i think it maybe connected to the cab doors, so we always keep the keys with us, we did get looked out in our old van when the wind blew it shut and i had to get in through the side window that was fortunately open.
Also not sure if any of you out there have the water pump randomly go on and off at times for a few seconds, not sure if this is a new thing either, we get this in the night when we are sleeping, we have looked for a leak but there is nothing.
As regards the pump. If it is a system that relies on pressure to operate the pump rather than micro switches, as the system cools overnight the pressure drops so the pump runs to top up the pressure. Quite normal. Had it on our Adria.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I heard about some Carthagos self locking, mechanical and nothing to do with central locking. I also noticed how easy it was to knock the internal handle into the locked position. I devised a simple solution before I got locked out. Rolled up off cut from a yoga mat, neatly sealed with clear tape. Just used to tuck it behind the inside handle which prevented locking.
IMG_0943.jpeg

Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2013
Cabbunk Central
Funster No
MH
Carado T459
Exp
Not long enough!
I would like to put myself forward for 'Dummy of the Day' your attempt wasn't your fault, so I don't think it qualifies 😉
Mine was much more 'stupid boy!'.

We locked the van up on our aire in Hendaye, France, to take our bikes down to the beach. I was SO careful to lock everywhere up.

We got back from the beach to find the 'other' garage door wide open and I realised I had opened it earlier and hadn't closed or locked it!

When do I collect my cone-shaped hat award??
🤭

Upvote 0
Aug 23, 2022
Northampton, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail tracker
Exp
As of today, 23/8/22 minus a few weeks! ( deposit paid, awaiting collection)
Good Evening

This place seems awash with dummies!

Count me in!
First night in our Autotrail Tracker and doors “self locked” , this dummy hadn’t even detached spare keys from main keys! ( both inside van).
Had to go and ask to borrow a small child to enter through the side locker and in under the bed. Luckily the locker was unlocked. Paranoid of it happening again in new van.

Phil in Northampton

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
During my time doing breakdown work a common job was effect entry keys locked in or lost.
A certain model of car had wind down windows on the back doors. It was possible to wind the windows down about half way. My mate did this on a camp site and borrowed the car owners small boy and fed him through the window to retrieve the keys.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
I had the locksmith make a 'blade' key for our door.
(All plastic removed, just the key blade remains)
So it's very small, and hidden in a place where it will not be found by accident.

You can not drive the vehicle away with the door key.
Sounds like a good idea, all plastic removed??

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2017
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
ambulance self conversion
Exp
since 1984
Locked out!!
My wife went for a shower so I thought I would make my self useful by sorting the rubbish out.
went out through the hab door and for some reason it locked behind me. Unfortunately the cab doors were still locked from night.
First problem having to explain we were locked out when my wife returned from shower.
Second, how to get back in.
Two strokes of luck. Guy opposite had an extending ladder and I had opened the skylight before sorting rubbish.
So entry made through skylight luckily I am still fit enough and slim enough to do this.
Embarrassment over I'm left perplexed.
Central locking does not operate on hab door so why did it lock behind me?
I thought it might be that we hadn't unlocked it from inside from overnight but it automatically unlocks when door is opened.
I haven't been able to replicate the situation.
I suppose the learning point is always unlock cab doors or have a key on person or secreted under van.
Any thoughts on why this happened?
We had a spare "emergency" key made,just a blank key with no chip in so it doesn`t start the engine if someone found it but would unlock the van.
It cost about £12,we duct taped it behind the bumper.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As regards the pump. If it is a system that relies on pressure to operate the pump rather than micro switches, as the system cools overnight the pressure drops so the pump runs to top up the pressure. Quite normal. Had it on our Adria.
I fitted a Shureflow in my last van it never cut in unless drawing water, if it cuts in there is probably a minute leak not enough for water to escape but enough for air to get in.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The central locking in our new Carthago is a PIA, relocks after 20 secs, can't open the hab door from inside or with a key from outside only releases on the central locking and the dash switch sometimes works but only sometimes. At least you can get in the cab door with a key.
If you lock the van or let it lock it's self with the hab door open so the contacts are not made the hab door stays unlocked.

Anyone know how to disable the auto relock?

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
So when it's recovered with damage they go rooting around to see whether they can find hidden keys?

Merde!
I don’t know what they would do, I was simply answering your comment that they would only know if it was recovered. It was your suggestion not mine.

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs sunlight
Exp
4 years
The central locking in our new Carthago is a PIA, relocks after 20 secs, can't open the hab door from inside or with a key from outside only releases on the central locking and the dash switch sometimes works but only sometimes. At least you can get in the cab door with a key.
If you lock the van or let it lock it's self with the hab door open so the contacts are not made the hab door stays unlocked.

I've just bought a 3 month old rollerteam tline 740, and noticed it auto locks itself. If you go through the settings on the dash you can turn this feature off.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I've just bought a 3 month old rollerteam tline 740, and noticed it auto locks itself. If you go through the settings on the dash you can turn this feature off.
Only had it a couple of weeks been too busy with the hab electrics to try. Not found out how to get at the menu it's all done through the 10" screen.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
Renault master lunar
I have a Benimar motorhome on a Fiat base that central locks all doors and self locks if the cab doors are not opened. You can go into the menu and switch it off. Certainly made me nervous until I worked it out.

Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
I have a Benimar motorhome on a Fiat base that central locks all doors and self locks if the cab doors are not opened. You can go into the menu and switch it off. Certainly made me nervous until I worked it out.
And I used to think campervanning was about relaxation....

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I heard about some Carthagos self locking, mechanical and nothing to do with central locking. I also noticed how easy it was to knock the internal handle into the locked position. I devised a simple solution before I got locked out. Rolled up off cut from a yoga mat, neatly sealed with clear tape. Just used to tuck it behind the inside handle which prevented locking.
View attachment 914327
We've had it slam shut with the wind a couple of times and the jolt moves the inner lever so it locks but fortunately the driver's sliding window was open so we could get at the keys, hubby is paranoid that it'll happen one day and the window will be closed! 😳

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We haven't got central locking and seeing as when we had it on a previous MH one of our dogs pressed the button on the door and locked us out, not having it isn't a bad thing!

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I fitted a Shureflow in my last van it never cut in unless drawing water, if it cuts in there is probably a minute leak not enough for water to escape but enough for air to get in.
All my vans have done it lenny . It seems to be just it repressurising. Often if I've flushed the toilet the pump might give a short blast about an hour later.
No leaks anywhere

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
We haven't got central locking and seeing as when we had it on a previous MH one of our dogs pressed the button on the door and locked us out, not having it isn't a bad thing!
Milo did that to me in Ireland... I got out the van to take a photo ...engine still running , milo put his paws up on the door to look for me out the window and pushed the button down. ... fortunately I had one locker that wasn't locked and I could climb in through it. Could have strangled him

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Milo did that to me in Ireland... I got out the van to take a photo ...engine still running , milo put his paws up on the door to look for me out the window and pushed the button down. ... fortunately I had one locker that wasn't locked and I could climb in through it. Could have strangled him
Lucky ref the locker! 😄

We only had the driver's window down a little so got a thin branch to poke through to try to move the internal door handle to open it, but our dogs thought it was a new game so were tugging at the branch as we tried. Oh how we laughed... well actually we did as it was hilarious. 😄

Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
We've had it slam shut with the wind a couple of times and the jolt moves the inner lever so it locks but fortunately the driver's sliding window was open so we could get at the keys, hubby is paranoid that it'll happen one day and the window will be closed! 😳
Hearing that I am paranoid as well!!!
Think I'll attach a key to my left nipple piercing to be on the safe side.
(Right nipple piercing just a tad less safe 😄)

Upvote 0
Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019

Lenny this is a major safety issue, you absolutely MUST be able to exit the van from ANY cab or hab door, even when double locked. I’m 99% certain that there is some international legislation/standard published for this. I know your van is new, perhaps it needs some “snagging” to be carried out?

Cheers!
Russ

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back