Dummy of the Day (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Locked out!!
My wife went for a shower so I thought I would make my self useful by sorting the rubbish out.
went out through the hab door and for some reason it locked behind me. Unfortunately the cab doors were still locked from night.
First problem having to explain we were locked out when my wife returned from shower.
Second, how to get back in.
Two strokes of luck. Guy opposite had an extending ladder and I had opened the skylight before sorting rubbish.
So entry made through skylight luckily I am still fit enough and slim enough to do this.
Embarrassment over I'm left perplexed.
Central locking does not operate on hab door so why did it lock behind me?
I thought it might be that we hadn't unlocked it from inside from overnight but it automatically unlocks when door is opened.
I haven't been able to replicate the situation.
I suppose the learning point is always unlock cab doors or have a key on person or secreted under van.
Any thoughts on why this happened?

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Friends of ours learnt to take keys with them if they were both out at the same time. Their doors self locked at times too.

Might be related to the vehicle thinking it should relocked as the front doors are locked and so should - as it sees it - the load door ( as in the van base)

Upvote 1

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Been there done that ...in fact I did it twice with my hymer. The hab door had a habit of locking itself if slammed . I had to remove the 4 star washers holding the large skylight on and drop down through that.

I did think afterwards how much of a security risk that is on the hymers with the wind up skylight as it takes literally 30 seconds to remove the 4 washers and lift the lid off .

After that I.learned to take the hab door key with me everytime I.left the van

Upvote 0
Oct 23, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747 - 2
Exp
Since 2007
Locked out!!
My wife went for a shower so I thought I would make my self useful by sorting the rubbish out.
went out through the hab door and for some reason it locked behind me. Unfortunately the cab doors were still locked from night.
First problem having to explain we were locked out when my wife returned from shower.
Two strokes of luck. Guy opposite had an extending ladder and I had opened the skylight before sorting rubbish.
So entry made through skylight luckily I am still fit enough and slim enough to do this.
I thought it might be that we hadn't unlocked it from inside from overnight but it automatically unlocks when door is opened.
I suppose the learning point is always unlock cab doors or have a key on person or secreted under van.
Take a look at this lock good because it has a cover for dirt.
Lock

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Locked out!!
My wife went for a shower
so I thought I would make my self useful by sorting the rubbish out.

Shows the advantage of showering at 'home' (motorhome):LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
My cab self locks again if you unlock but don't open a door within a few minutes

The hab door locking itself as you close the door is a quirk of the way the rods work inside the door. A quarter turn of the key will lock/unlock but the rod inside doesn't move far. In some situations, the jolt of it closing can lock the door. Happens if the door slams in the wind too

Upvote 1

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Sounds like 'new-fangled nonsense' of central locking. We only have hab door which has to be locked with a key - no key outside, not locked. Key outside can be locked, and unlocked.
As the op stated the hab door isn't connected to the central locking . It's most likely just a worn or loose mechanism on the hab door lock.

I've had it on my hymer and the euramobil was also temperamental.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2022
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam Zefiro675
Exp
Just started
You maybe accidentally bumped the hab door to the locked position while exiting!?

I canā€™t say for other vans obviously, but on mine with the key, you can turn the hab door lock to a position where it canā€™t be locked from the inside. Notable that the external door lock key slot is normally horizontal when the door can be locked from inside, or vertical when set so it canā€™t be locked from inside. So thatā€™s generally the first and last jobs of the day for me, set it to prevent us being locked out in the morning and so we can be locked in at night. I kinda imagine that must be a ā€œthingā€ on most vans surely!?

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2014
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Burford Duo
Exp
Since 2009
Mercedes have a habit of self locking after a minute or so.to overcome this you have to open the passenger or driver doors then you are okay.

Upvote 0
Sep 5, 2020
Durham, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 714SB
Exp
Since 2018
Our Hab door locks from the inside switch, will always open from inside, but not outside unless released by the switch or key switch

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Since 2021
Yes we have that with our habitation door as well, it is a new van so i think it maybe connected to the cab doors, so we always keep the keys with us, we did get looked out in our old van when the wind blew it shut and i had to get in through the side window that was fortunately open.
Also not sure if any of you out there have the water pump randomly go on and off at times for a few seconds, not sure if this is a new thing either, we get this in the night when we are sleeping, we have looked for a leak but there is nothing.

Upvote 0
May 13, 2024
Lancshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Axess
Exp
Caravan since 1983 - Motorhome since 1997
Locked out!!
If the habitation door is not 'linked' to the central-locking mechanism, then this can really be only one of two things.

Either a badly worn locking mechanism which locked itself, if/when you shut the door firmly, or maybe even slammed it ?

Or,

Memory failure linked to aromatic-repetitive-action, i,e. "Your always lock the door when you exit the vehicle", and force of habit caused you to lock it when you headed for the rubbish bins?

I can't see what else it could have been ?

Incidentally I have a small lock box (similar to the one mentioned by Donkster) secured to the chassis. It is protected by a nifty cover, and unless one knows it is there, then only the mechanic carrying out the MoT will wonder what it is.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I had it on the hab door on my caravan, it locks if slammed, when it happened to me I was lucky in that I had the car keys with me so could get my tool kit to break in

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yes we have that with our habitation door as well, it is a new van so i think it maybe connected to the cab doors, so we always keep the keys with us, we did get looked out in our old van when the wind blew it shut and i had to get in through the side window that was fortunately open.
Also not sure if any of you out there have the water pump randomly go on and off at times for a few seconds, not sure if this is a new thing either, we get this in the night when we are sleeping, we have looked for a leak but there is nothing.
All my vans have done that with the water pump it's just pressurising. If just a few seconds it's fine. If it was a leak it would do it constantly .

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If the habitation door is not 'linked' to the central-locking mechanism, then this can really be only one of two things.

Either a badly worn locking mechanism which locked itself, if/when you shut the door firmly, or maybe even slammed it ?

Or,

Memory failure linked to aromatic-repetitive-action, i,e. "Your always lock the door when you exit the vehicle", and force of habit caused you to lock it when you headed for the rubbish bins?

I can't see what else it could have been ?

Incidentally I have a small lock box (similar to the one mentioned by Donkster) secured to the chassis. It is protected by a nifty cover, and unless one knows it is there, then only the mechanic carrying out the MoT will wonder what it is.
He couldn't have locked it without the keys.

It's simply a worn mechanism as I stated up there ^^^

Upvote 0
May 13, 2024
Lancshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Axess
Exp
Caravan since 1983 - Motorhome since 1997
He couldn't have locked it without the keys.

It's simply a worn mechanism as I stated up there ^^^
Sorry to have to contradict you, but, on our Adria, there is a 'button', on the locking mechanism, on the inside of the door, which I can press as I exit the vehicle through the habitation door; then when the door is closed it is locked behind me.

The habitation door is not linked to the central-locking mechanism. So if the cab doors are locked and I exit the van, forgetfully, locking it behind me, I am locked out, hence the key safe, bolted to the chassis.

Incidentally, the locking mechanism on this particular Adria is absolutely garbage. Using the key to lock/unlock from the outside works fine until the temperature rises, then, due, I suspect to expansion it will not lock with the key from the outside.

In hot weather; Insert the key, quarter turn clockwise, door locked. Try to return the key to the 12 o'clock position, in order to extract it, and the door unlocks. So, I always use the magic button on the inside of the door to lock up when leaving the vehicle. It's a habit, and yes, I sometimes lock myself out.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Sorry to have to contradict you, but, on our Adria, there is a 'button', on the locking mechanism, on the inside of the door, which I can press as I exit the vehicle through the habitation door; then when the door is closed it is locked behind me.

The habitation door is not linked to the central-locking mechanism. So if the cab doors are locked and I exit the van, forgetfully, locking it behind me, I am locked out, hence the key safe, bolted to the chassis.

Incidentally, the locking mechanism on this particular Adria is absolutely garbage. Using the key to lock/unlock from the outside works fine until the temperature rises, then, due, I suspect to expansion it will not lock with the key from the outside.

In hot weather; Insert the key, quarter turn clockwise, door locked. Try to return the key to the 12 o'clock position, in order to extract it, and the door unlocks. So, I always use the magic button on the inside of the door to lock up when leaving the vehicle. It's a habit, and yes, I sometimes lock myself out.
He didn't state that he had locked it though. He said it locked itself . Which as others have said is quite common on an older van.

The one I have now the external lock is also temperamental.. you can turn the key and think its locked but it isn't. Often you've to turn the key to the unlocked position then hard round to locked position.

They just wear over time . I think I've only ever owned one motorhome that the door lock worked perfect . The rest have had quirks.

Can always lock it in the end but it's things I've to remember.

There's a few places to secure a spare single hab door key on a camper though..

Out of sight with just a cable tie in case of emergency

Upvote 0

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
yes but what are the insurance going to say if it gets nicked ( computer say no)!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Having seen my builder open one with a quick twist of a screwdriver I wouldn't leave a key in those ....
Plenty places to hide a key outside a motorhome that no one would find. Don't need any key boxes . A single hab door key is all you need and it's waterproof .

Upvote 0
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Apache
Exp
3 years previously and now returning with new MH
Wear a hab door key on a dog tag chain.
Our hab door used to lock if the wind blew it shut.

Upvote 0
Apr 4, 2021
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum GT 185
Exp
August 2020
Locked out!!
We have had the same problem with our Motorhome. If youā€™re not careful the internal door handle has a habit of dropping down. We have now ensured that the cab doors are unlocked and
/or always have a key with us. We know weā€™re not fit enough or slim enough to climb in through the roof. Well done you.

Upvote 0

EMS

Jan 8, 2010
Hants Sussex border near
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low
Exp
Started 2009!
In france the keyboxes are not considered as secure such that Airb&b do not consider them secure for the house keys to be left while awaiting customers.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
In france the keyboxes are not considered as secure such that Airb&b do not consider them secure for the house keys to be left while awaiting customers.
I used to do work for an agency that rented property short term, out of hours keys were in keyboxes outside the office, they had about 15 of them

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back