Ducato with 6 speed manual gearbox. Is the gearbox good or bad?. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 3, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Hello everyone.

I've got the idea of changing my order on a new Ducato and opting for a 6 speed manual gearbox rather than an automatic gearbox. The main reason I'm considering this is because I will more than likely get the new 8 speed automatic gearbox and not the much loved ZF 9 speed gearbox. I'm concerned the new, lighter, cheaper box might be a bad choice. Maybe it could be just as good as the ZF.

My questions is posed to all owners of the Ducato with the six speed manual gearbox. Do you like the gearbox or wish you had a automatic gearbox?. What do you love or hate about the manual gearbox. Please be as definitive as you can.

Kind regards to everyone and thank you for taking the time to read and post.

Mark.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
What about the Malibu part of the van. Do they have a standard warranty?. If they do, can it be extended?.
I haven’t got all my documents with me but I think it is 2 years for most things and 6 years for water ingress. Not aware of any extensions.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Clewie68
Sep 3, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
I'm going to get a Vanbitz Raptor which is an alarm, immobiliser and tracker. This should be enough to stop thieves. The problem is all the damage they do trying to get in and getting the vehicle started. I need some extra visual deterrents and hopefully that will stop them trying. I'm thinking of getting a Disklock for the steering wheel and two Bulldog Euro wheel clamps for the two back wheels. I assume the easiest way to pinch a van is jack the front two wheels up with one of those recovery trucks. Like the repossession people do. The two Bulldogs clamps would make that difficult.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I don’t use a steering lock over the wheel. I just measured my steering wheel diameter as 38cm.

You can get most of the 5 year warranty sorted out before you pick your van up. Some dealers register the van before handover and officially the clock starts ticking from first registration not handover.
Ours was registered before handover but the registration date was handover day. Been like that on the 3 vans we've bought.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 27, 2022
Funster No
MH
Consort PVC
If you get a Disklok, the "medium" size fits our 2023 Ducato. Not sure if the series 10 steering wheel is different, I would be surprised if it were.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Pleased you chose the auto, Fiat claim the 8 speed to be better than the 9 speed but I can't fault the 9 speed.

Our first Motorhome was a 6 speed only did 30k in it never really liked the clunky change & my left leg didn't like traffic jams.
Last 10 years I've done 80k in two Comformatics nowhere near as good as a full auto but far better than a manual.

Current van we have only had a few weeks, 180hp engine & 9 speed was standard but if it wasn't I would have ordered it.

It's a dream to drive you never notice gear changes, it's in 9th just over 50mph, rockets up hills. Also with the auto you get an engine with much higher torque.

The 2.2 engine so smooth and quiet compared to the agricultural 2.3.
Until I was grovelling under the van last week I didn't reliase the 2.2 is a totally different engine. Crossflow is opposite exhaust now come out the front & a die cast aluminium sump.

Not done anything about security apart from fit a cheap self fit tracker I had in the last van. Insured for 130k insurance didn't required anything but will probably get an alarm as we do off grid camping. Got a motorcycle disc lock I may fit to the seat for when the vans lefts at home when we are away.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Clewie68
Sep 3, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
If you get a Disklok, the "medium" size fits our 2023 Ducato. Not sure if the series 10 steering wheel is different, I would be surprised if it were.
I did a little research last night and it seems highly likely it's the medium size. I'm going to buy a medium direct from Disklok. If it's the size wrong I'll try to sent it back an exchange it. I won't open it till the van arrives, which could be February or March. The reason for buying things now is everything goes up in price too fast. In 8 months they've probably stuck another fiver on. Plus the fact I love spending money. I'm supporting the economy I tell myself 😆.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Clewie68
Sep 3, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Pleased you chose the auto, Fiat claim the 8 speed to be better than the 9 speed but I can't fault the 9 speed.

Our first Motorhome was a 6 speed only did 30k in it never really liked the clunky change & my left leg didn't like traffic jams.
Last 10 years I've done 80k in two Comformatics nowhere near as good as a full auto but far better than a manual.

Current van we have only had a few weeks, 180hp engine & 9 speed was standard but if it wasn't I would have ordered it.

It's a dream to drive you never notice gear changes, it's in 9th just over 50mph, rockets up hills. Also with the auto you get an engine with much higher torque.

The 2.2 engine so smooth and quiet compared to the agricultural 2.3.
Until I was grovelling under the van last week I didn't reliase the 2.2 is a totally different engine. Crossflow is opposite exhaust now come out the front & a die cast aluminium sump.

Not done anything about security apart from fit a cheap self fit tracker I had in the last van. Insured for 130k insurance didn't required anything but will probably get an alarm as we do off grid camping. Got a disc lock I may fit to the seat for when the vans lefts at home when we are away.
How's your new Compactline?. I'm pleased you've got it now. Are you still on a high?. I'm on a high and I haven't got mine😂. I'm getting the 180 too. I've read a lot of posts about it being capable on the hills.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Clewie68
Sep 3, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
One interesting thing I noticed about my order is, where is the higher output alternator?. Seems like it's disappeared and been replaced with a LADEBOOSTER. The only downgrade I've noticed. The dealership is looking into whether the higher output alternator is still an option.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
How's your new Compactline?. I'm pleased you've got it now. Are you still on a high?. I'm on a high and I haven't got mine😂. I'm getting the 180 too. I've read a lot of posts about it being capable on the hills.
Overall very pleased with it build quality far superior to Hymer a few silly niggles and it's a bit small but for such a small van they have made good use of the space.

Really nice to drive apart from the steering wheel being on the wrong side. 🤣

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
One interesting thing I noticed about my order is, where is the higher output alternator?. Seems like it's disappeared and been replaced with a LADEBOOSTER. The only downgrade I've noticed. The dealership is looking into whether the higher output alternator is still an option.
Ladebooster is a B2B, I assume it's a German van, uprated alternator is normally in the basic chassis pack so it will probably have one.
Ours came with a Schaudt 25 amp B2B I've replaced it with a 50 amp Victron as by the time the fridge has taken 15 amps there is naff all left to charge the battery.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
Hello everyone.

I've got the idea of changing my order on a new Ducato and opting for a 6 speed manual gearbox rather than an automatic gearbox. The main reason I'm considering this is because I will more than likely get the new 8 speed automatic gearbox and not the much loved ZF 9 speed gearbox. I'm concerned the new, lighter, cheaper box might be a bad choice. Maybe it could be just as good as the ZF.

My questions is posed to all owners of the Ducato with the six speed manual gearbox. Do you like the gearbox or wish you had a automatic gearbox?. What do you love or hate about the manual gearbox. Please be as definitive as you can.

Kind regards to everyone and thank you for taking the time to read and post.

Mark.
Very happy with my manual. Smooth, easy. Much of my driving is also long distance on fast roads where I hardly have to change gears at all. Previously had an Iveco Agile auto - similar to the Fiat Comfortmatic - which I really didn't like at all.

(And when I got this gearbox I hadn't owned a manual car in more than 10 years. No problem at all in reactivating old habits...)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Clewie68
Sep 3, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Ladeboister is a B2B, I assume it's a German van, uprated alternator is normally in the basic chassis pack so it will probably have one.
Ours came with a Schaudt 25 amp B2B I've replaced it with a 50 amp Victron as by the time the fridge has taken 15 amps there is naff all left to charge the battery.
The alternator isn't in the chassis package or listed on the order form. I phoned the dealership yesterday about it.

A couple of years ago, I was considering the Hymer MLT Crossover. I watched a post on YouTube which showed it had plastic hinges on the cabinets. That was the end of the MLT.

It's good the Compactline is small. Less size/weight and less fuel to use. I went for the Malibu 600 van for the exact same reasons. I've gone as small as I can get away. Even though I can easily drive something bigger, I've seen those roads first hand around Almafi and there tight. I'm definitely going back around there one day.

Upvote 0
Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido
I did a little research last night and it seems highly likely it's the medium size. I'm going to buy a medium direct from Disklok. If it's the size wrong I'll try to sent it back an exchange it. I won't open it till the van arrives, which could be February or March. The reason for buying things now is everything goes up in price too fast. In 8 months they've probably stuck another fiver on. Plus the fact I love spending money. I'm supporting the economy I tell myself 😆.
Hi, either meduim or small disklok fit the ducato steering wheel.

I would advise getting the wheel cover as they do leave small indentations in the rubber.

Small is easier to get as Halfords have in stock, think i paid £135, as got 10% off.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Clewie68
Sep 3, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Hi, either meduim or small disklok fit the ducato steering wheel.

I would advise getting the wheel cover as they do leave small indentations in the rubber.

Small is easier to get as Halfords have in stock, think i paid £135, as got 10% off.
Bought a medium with holding bag and steering wheel cover. Then realised I could of got 5% discount for being a new customer. 🙄

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back