Ducato with 6 speed manual gearbox. Is the gearbox good or bad?. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 3, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Hello everyone.

I've got the idea of changing my order on a new Ducato and opting for a 6 speed manual gearbox rather than an automatic gearbox. The main reason I'm considering this is because I will more than likely get the new 8 speed automatic gearbox and not the much loved ZF 9 speed gearbox. I'm concerned the new, lighter, cheaper box might be a bad choice. Maybe it could be just as good as the ZF.

My questions is posed to all owners of the Ducato with the six speed manual gearbox. Do you like the gearbox or wish you had a automatic gearbox?. What do you love or hate about the manual gearbox. Please be as definitive as you can.

Kind regards to everyone and thank you for taking the time to read and post.

Mark.

Aug 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper
Hello everyone.

I've got the idea of changing my order on a new Ducato and opting for a 6 speed manual gearbox rather than an automatic gearbox. The main reason I'm considering this is because I will more than likely get the new 8 speed automatic gearbox and not the much loved ZF 9 speed gearbox. I'm concerned the new, lighter, cheaper box might be a bad choice. Maybe it could be just as good as the ZF.

My questions is posed to all owners of the Ducato with the six speed manual gearbox. Do you like the gearbox or wish you had a automatic gearbox?. What do you love or hate about the manual gearbox. Please be as definitive as you can.

Mark.
Hi Mark, Four out of our five motorhomes had the 6 speed box from 2016. Found all OK no trouble encountered. Only grip was the earlier box was a bit notchy second through to fifth with sixth slightly off-set. Current van on 2021 chassis much improved.

Upvote 0
Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Hi Clewie,

An additional factor that may not have been mentioned?

Fuel efficiency - a human being will have to go some to beat the slick gearchanges, of the 9sp auto, no reason (especially if its an Aisin derived design) that the 8 sp wont be just as frugal.

Also manuals by design require clutch slipping? Whilst crawling in traffic with an auto just creeping, is so much less stressful.

Final point, although you say its long term, resale values - autos are mostly higher.

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
Mines a 6 speed manual. I have manual and automatic cars and wanted a manual MH. Never regretted it, with the MH I want to be the one choosing the gear

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
If you are ordering new I would be surprised if it still will have the comformatic. We bought new in 2019 and got the comformatic at a discount. Any after were the new box. Our van was chassis was built late 2017 and built by Burstner Aug 2018. Our friends new Autotrail panel van new in 2023 is the new auto?
The Comformatic is no longer supplied. It came in after we got ours. Ths Comformatic is OK if you are buying secondhand but the Chrysler auto boxes fitted now are a lot better and much smoother. If you can go up in price the new auto box is a no brainer.

Upvote 0
Oct 28, 2016
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
7 years
Hello everyone.

Mark.
I've had my Ducato for 8 years. It's 09 reg. Driven abroad and now sticking to the UK as I'm 80 next year. Never had any issues with the manual 6 speed manual gearbox. I have 2 automatic cars. Wouldn't want an automatic 4.2 tonnes motorhome. I like to be in control!!

Upvote 0
Jan 18, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLS
Exp
A long time
I like to have full control when I am driving hence I always go for a manual. There are exceptions, say for example health and mobility issues where I understand an auto box would be beneficial but as for the rest it is just a comfort thing and if you have problems with the box you have the funds and time to sort it out off the road! A personal choice.

Upvote 0
Jul 17, 2024
Funster No
MH
V Line 540 SE
Hello everyone.

Mark.
We got an Auto Trail V Line this year with the new 9 speed auto box and I think it is superb. Gear changes are seamless and it makes driving the van long distances so much easier.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
It’s strange isn’t it… with everyday motoring I can absolutely see the case people put forward for automatics, particularly real torque converter autos. But in the use case you suggest you have way way more control with a manual, always will have!
Agree totally but I am not a motorhome Grand Prix driver, or on a track day. I simply want to go places confidently where with my previous motorhome with a manual gear I was occasionally anxious about being in the correct gear. The up switch takes any hassle away and allows us to enjoy the drive. I would add that I class myself as an above average driver.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2016
Warrington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
6 years
Hello everyone.

Mark.
I've driven thousands of miles with the 6 speed manual and never had a problem. Juggler

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Clewie68
Sep 3, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
I've got an update for everyone. I went to the dealership today to change my order to a manual gearbox but it's too late. I'm getting a series 10 with the new 8 speed auto. Like someone said in an earlier post within this thread, Fiat aren't going to change the 9 speed for a bad 8 speed. I think that's a sensible idea.

The sales person (real decent chap), said one of the reasons Fiat took the ZF out is because 9th gear was hardly used. I'm assuming to reach 9th gear your probably going in excess of 70/80 mph. I'm thinking a lot of campervan owners aren't going to entertain the thought of doing more than 70mph. Why put the more expensive and heavier ZF in when the new 8 can do the same job. I've also saved £1000 on the 180bhp engine with the automatic option. The leather seats went down as did the Truma 6D+E heater.

On the whole, I'm happy that my worries about the gearbox options have been solved today and I can move on. I also got a possible delivery date, which is around the 15th of March. Way sooner than I anticipated. I'm on a big high at the moment. I'm celebrating at the moment with some cheap Aldi Rheinbacher pilsner, (it's pretty good stuff).

I'd like to thank everyone again for the time they have taken to post. It's been an educational and entertaining. It's definitely worth £20 to join Motorhomefun. Well done to the administration behind MF too, if your reading.

Best regards,

Clewie.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I've got an update for everyone. I went to the dealership today to change my order to a manual gearbox but it's too late. I'm getting a series 10 with the new 8 speed auto. Like someone said in an earlier post within this thread, Fiat aren't going to change the 9 speed for a bad 8 speed. I think that's a sensible idea.

The sales person (real decent chap), said one of the reasons Fiat took the ZF out is because 9th gear was hardly used. I'm assuming to reach 9th gear your probably going in excess of 70/80 mph. I'm thinking a lot of campervan owners aren't going to entertain the thought of doing more than 70mph. Why put the more expensive and heavier ZF in when the new 8 can do the same job. I've also saved £1000 on the 180bhp engine with the automatic option. The leather seats went down as did the Truma 6D+E heater.

On the whole, I'm happy that my worries about the gearbox options have been solved today and I can move on. I also got a possible delivery date, which is around the 15th of March. Way sooner than I anticipated. I'm on a big high at the moment. I'm celebrating at the moment with some cheap Aldi Rheinbacher pilsner, (it's pretty good stuff).

I'd like to thank everyone again for the time they have taken to post. It's been an educational and entertaining. It's definitely worth £20 to join Motorhomefun. Well done to the administration behind MF too, if your reading.

Best regards,

Clewie.
I don't think it's that the 9th gear isn't used. I think it's that ZF charged too much. So they didn't sell many. But the new box is made in-house, so can be offered much cheaper. And it's more efficient than a manual box. As vehicle manufacturers are incentivised to sell efficient vehicles, it'd be good for Stelantis if more delivery vans bought the auto box.

Upvote 0
Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Often get into 9 th gear, but got to be doing about 56-60. Drops down if a hill encountered. Thats with a 4ton van

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
My van drops into 9th gear reasonably often at sensible cruising speeds but I don’t doubt that an 8 speed box is likely to be just as economical, especially if it is lighter and more efficient. I would be happy with either 8 or 9 speed boxes.

Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2021
Exeter, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 736G
Exp
1 year.
I’ve had 2 motorhomes with the 6 speed manual, a 2021 Autotrail Imala and currently a 2022 Autotrail GF80 A class.
No problems on either but I do find that I’m changing up and down a lot with the heavier A class. Only reason I didn’t get an auto when I bought the GF80 new was the wait times …. Too impatient lol .

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016

Best regards,

Clewie.
Ours goes into 9th at around 55 to 60 depending on the road

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Don't, stick with the 9 speed on the MJIII engine without it they'll not pull you out of bed. The engines have had the life choked out of them to reach Euro6 Final standards. The days of the excellent MJI & MJII are sadly gone.

Here's the specs.
MJIII 140 on a manual 350Nm, 9 speed auto 380Nm. MJIII 180 on a manual 380Nm, 9 speed auto 450Nm. They've dropped the 120 & 160 as, well, they were crap.

Upvote 0
Oct 27, 2022
Funster No
MH
Consort PVC
The naming is confusing! Depends if your van was designated a "motorhome/camper" by Fiat when it left the factory. Ours wasn't (was converted by a UK company from a base Ducato) and so our extended warranty is just a 5 year commercial extended warranty. Anyway, you are presumably aware that you only have a couple of weeks after registration to purchase the extended warranty so need to be on it pronto.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Yes, I'm definitely getting one of those. Is it called Camper Assist?.
Camper Assist comes with the warranty but the 5 years can only be bought from a Fiat Professional within a few days of first registration. It can be bought over the phone. I arranged it through Adams Morey, Portsmouth. They know the procedure for getting a proper Fiat warranty not a doubtful insurance one. Give them a call on 02392 691122 well before pick up and registration so that you can get the details you need ready. Dealers who are not Fiat Professionals may try to flog you second rate alternatives they can get commission on.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Clewie68
Sep 3, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Camper Assist comes with the warranty but the 5 years can only be bought from a Fiat Professional within a few days of first registration. It can be bought over the phone. I arranged it through Adams Morey, Portsmouth. They know the procedure for getting a proper Fiat warranty not a doubtful insurance one. Give them a call on 02392 691122 well before pick up and registration so that you can get the details you need ready. Dealers who are not Fiat Professionals may try to flog you second rate alternatives they can get commission on.
Thank you for the advice. There's quite a few things I need to get done quickly when my van arrives. Obtain a date to get a Vanbitz alarm system fitted within the period the insurance company gives me. I'm not sure how much work Vanbitz have ahead of them. I'll have a talk with them at the NEC show. I'm also a little worried about the limited availability of good security places to park my van. Looks like I need to get a place sorted with a decent, local motorhome/campervan parking facility and date with Vanbitz before I take out the insurance.

I spent £707 today on a Thule bike rack, two leveling wedges and two red and white signaling plates. Struth, those plates are expensive. I'm thinking of getting a lock to go over the steering wheel. Do you have one?. Do you know the diameter of the steering wheel?.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Thank you for the advice. There's quite a few things I need to get done quickly when my van arrives. Obtain a date to get a Vanbitz alarm system fitted within the period the insurance company gives me. I'm not sure how much work Vanbitz have ahead of them. I'll have a talk with them at the NEC show. I'm also a little worried about the limited availability of good security places to park my van. Looks like I need to get a place sorted with a decent, local motorhome/campervan parking facility and date with Vanbitz before I take out the insurance.

I spent £707 today on a Thule bike rack, two leveling wedges and two red and white signaling plates. Struth, those plates are expensive. I'm thinking of getting a lock to go over the steering wheel. Do you have one?. Do you know the diameter of the steering wheel?.
I don’t use a steering lock over the wheel. I just measured my steering wheel diameter as 38cm.

You can get most of the 5 year warranty sorted out before you pick your van up. Some dealers register the van before handover and officially the clock starts ticking from first registration not handover.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Clewie68
Sep 3, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
I don’t use a steering lock over the wheel. I just measured my steering wheel diameter as 38cm.

You can get most of the 5 year warranty sorted out before you pick your van up. Some dealers register the van before handover and officially the clock starts ticking from first registration not handover.
What about the Malibu part of the van. Do they have a standard warranty?. If they do, can it be extended?.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back