Ducato 9 Speed Auto Gearbox Overheating (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
My Honda Insight Hybrid CVT is just coming up to 200k miles after 14 years of ownership from new. It has not missed a beat. My favourite ever car for never having any money spent except on servicing and consumables. Did 1000 miles to Germany and back in October. I guess it will fail soon but it does not owe me anything. I hope my new EV camper is as reliable!
What EV camper have you got/getting?

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
According to this write up I didn't realise the 9HP was built 100% in America, also it might answer the question why Chrysler have had problems with the box as they make their own 9HP under license themselves so could this be the reason for reliability issues?

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022
Norfolk Broads
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
I would like to add to the original thread, I had exactly the same issue in southern Germany in September. It was fine once cooled down, then drove about 700 miles home without further incident. Booked in with local fiat professionals and they apparently had to wait around 4 weeks for a special tool to check the gearbox level!. Once checked they said it was half a litre low, they topped it up after checking quality of oil & carried out some sort of update. No further faults & have done another 1500 miles so far (currently in Spain) fingers crossed 🙄

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Can't help noticing it's the same box in a FIat 500 as in a Ducato van - how times change 😂

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 19, 2013
Cabbunk Central
Funster No
MH
Carado T459
Exp
Not long enough!
Not wanting to divert the thread, but the mention of hail took me back to 2013 when these rascals caused millions of Euros damage in the town we lived in in Germany. Luckily we were between campers at the time but the damage to our Ford S-Max was pretty hideous.
View attachment 847546
Wow! Dethleffs factory was affected with all motorhomes awaiting delivery! The insurers paid out but insisted they 'roof' all stock storage areas! (Acres of roofs!!)

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
I would like to add to the original thread, I had exactly the same issue in southern Germany in September. It was fine once cooled down, then drove about 700 miles home without further incident. Booked in with local fiat professionals and they apparently had to wait around 4 weeks for a special tool to check the gearbox level!. Once checked they said it was half a litre low, they topped it up after checking quality of oil & carried out some sort of update. No further faults & have done another 1500 miles so far (currently in Spain) fingers crossed 🙄
4 weeks for a tool!!! Couldn't they drain and measure how much came out then put it back in?

Jul 31, 2022
Norfolk Broads
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Apparently not!!! In the end I called them on a Friday & was told they still haven’t received it, I then contacted fiat uk and miraculously on the Monday it had arrived!

Jul 29, 2021
Halesowen, UK
Funster No
MH
Bürstner Lyseo Time
Exp
2022!
Just updating everyone on the ZF replacement gearbox for our new (8 months old) Sonic. I had a surprise message on 4th January saying the gearbox had arrived. The techies had started prepping the vehicle the day before (3rd Jan.), and on the 5th I got another message saying the vehicle was ready for collection. I picked it up on Monday 8th and have given it a couple of short test runs over the past week, probably covering a couple of hundred miles, and I'm pleased that all seems well. Long may that continue (he says with fingers crossed!).
The next hurdle will be to update the maps on the Uconnect 10 - a task that I started looking into 4 months ago when the vehicle broke down!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 31, 2022
Norfolk Broads
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Fingers crossed for you👍. We are currently in Wissant to catch ferry home today.We have done around 3000miles since the gear oil top up & update with no further faults so hoping its sorted for good.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back