Down-plating Anyone done this? (8 Viewers)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

Yes it is. Thanks. I have a down load now. And have Archived it for future use. (very 3 Years Grrrrrrr?) Bloody Ageism is what it is.

Interesting thing is, MOST of those now still working will be 70 BEFORE they CAN retire!.

Long past time we had a SENSIBLE Weight limit on B-B1 licencing. 4t for example would not make a blind bit of difference as MOST chassis configurations will take that "AS IS".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes it is. Thanks. I have a down load now. And have Archived it for future use. (very 3 Years Grrrrrrr?) Bloody Ageism is what it is.

Interesting thing is, MOST of those now still working will be 70 BEFORE they CAN retire!.

Long past time we had a SENSIBLE Weight limit on B-B1 licencing. 4t for example would not make a blind bit of difference as MOST chassis configurations will take that "AS IS".
3850kg would be the most 'sensible' weight limit if it was raised as an interim measure as the issue of payload tends to be on vehicles at 3500kg, rather than 3850kg and quite a lot of MHs cannot go beyond 3850kg without modifications.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
3850kg would be the most 'sensible' weight limit if it was raised as an interim measure as the issue of payload tends to be on vehicles at 3500kg, rather than 3850kg and quite a lot of MHs cannot go beyond 3850kg without modifications.

As a first step I might agree. A large number of current offerings said to be"drivable" on B or B+E, are IMV not fit for purpose. Many will struggle to stay below the Gross Mass with just some basic "kit" and two people, if indeed they can. My last Rapido, (Ducato/Alko) was upgraded to 3850, as you say, by just a paper exercise. Although IF I was doing it again, I would be inclined to go up at least one load rating on the tyres for my own satisfaction.

For those who are currently in such a situation. Towing a small car and loading that is probably the only Legally viable option. At which point one can only ask, Then why not a car and caravan?. I LIKE the flexibility of the Motorhome, where we are much more "self sufficient", Having experience of both I find the motorhome easier to get comfortably seated in.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
For those who are currently in such a situation. Towing a small car and loading that is probably the only Legally viable option. At which point one can only ask, Then why not a car and caravan?.
Oooo ... we haven't had a good popcorn debate for a while!

:pop:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back