Down-plating Anyone done this? (2 Viewers)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not suggesting Stewart does it but a question for future for us.
If you have a motorhome plated at 3,500kg is it possible \ sensible to tow a trailer behind in which you could carry the "external" stuff like table, chairs, levelling ramps, etc, etc, .......?
Yes, up to 750kg on a standard B car licence
Up to the max train weight on a BE car licence

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you have a motorhome plated at 3,500kg is it possible \ sensible to tow a trailer behind in which you could carry the "external" stuff like table, chairs, levelling ramps, etc, etc, .......?
Yes it's possible but only up to 750kg max and so long as you remain within your towing weight limit for MH and trailer and have a licence that permits you to do so.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Towing a trailer will decide on what the weight plate on the vehicle says , and further depend on the license of the driver .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not if the vehicle is actually being weighed without the driver onboard :)
DVLA definition of Unladen weight includes a driver weighing 75kg and all fluids necessary for running the vehicle, oil, water etc.
It will be assumed the weight of a driver is included in any weight certificate.

Converters definition means fu(k all in law.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
DVLA definition of Unladen weight includes a driver weighing 75kg and all fluids necessary for running the vehicle, oil, water etc.
It will be assumed the weight of a driver is included in any weight certificate.

Converters definition means fu(k all in law.
You need to read the posts more carefully , I am fully aware of legal definition of ULW for purposes of The Authorised Weight Regulations 1998 or The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (as amended). I was inquiring as to whether the op had the same understanding , I then tried to explain that in my reply to your quote of my post . I hope that clarifies the matter to your satisfaction .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Does under 3500kg include passengers and driver ?

You need to read the posts more carefully , I am fully aware of legal definition of ULW for purposes of The Authorised Weight Regulations 1998 or The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (as amended). I was inquiring as to whether the op had the same understanding , I then tried to explain that in my reply to your quote of my post . I hope that clarifies the matter to your satisfaction .

My apologies, your post appeared to be asking the question to the forum, not just of Stewart J :D

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
An update, phoned DVLA last Thursday vehicle downplate request not showing in their systems suggested if nothing heard in 14 days to phone them back?
So came as a surprise to find a dreaded brown envelope waiting on the door mat when we returned home after a day out.
My new logbook still showing as 3850kg this really spoilt my weekend.
On the phone this morning for almost 40 minutes, they have no trace of all the paperwork I submitted with my application and I have to do it all again, I was not impressed by the officious young man I spoke to so was fizzing once off the phone.
Wife phoned the dealers for advice and they said to phone SVTech as trying to deal with the DVLA for this sort of thing is a nightmare.
I phoned them and they couldn't have been more helpful and expressed no surprise at the DVLA actions they get horror stories about them all the time.
I was asked to photograph the 2 plates under the bonnet, the Hymer weight plate on skirt beside rear wheel, photocopy of weighbridge certificate and a copy of the letter I sent to the DVLA, duly emailed them phone call a short while confirmed receipt and they went through all the actions to follow once I receive the paperwork and new weight plate from them later this week.
It was like a weight had been lifted off me, OK there is a fee involved but I now have peace of mind.
Watch this space for another episode. :):):)

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Just give Gareth at SV Tech, they helped me down plate a motorhome before and were brilliant.

Simon

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Yes it's possible but only up to 750kg max and so long as you remain within your towing weight limit for MH and trailer and have a licence that permits you to do so.
I think you can go well beyond 750kg if you have +E on your license.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
9915EB8B-7795-47B5-AA82-56D5DC179BE4.jpeg
We are now looking at downsizing our car for a so called city car and towing it on a trailer. This is the madness of the DVLA standards so if we go this route the total weight of the rig will be approaching 5000kgs. My present weight plates shown in photo.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
View attachment 279902
We are now looking at downsizing our car for a so called city car and towing it on a trailer. This is the madness of the DVLA standards so if we go this route the total weight of the rig will be approaching 5000kgs. My present weight plates shown in photo.

Yes, it is a crazy system but one just has to work it to suit oneself.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
View attachment 279902
You are downrating the mam not train weight so you will have over 500kg margin . If that is what you are asking ?
That might be affected by the rated capacity of the towbar fitted .

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
You are downrating the mam not train weight so you will have over 500kg margin . If that is what you are asking ?
That might be affected by the rated capacity of the towbar fitted .
No I was posting to clarify it for others, the topic always seems to cause a lot of confusion

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I can't see the point in paying SVTech for something that has already been able to do themselves ... the paperwork they send will AFAIK be the same as already supplied to the DVLA and the OP will probably still have to send it off, unless SVTech do so, in which case it's an expensive postage stamp!

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
I can't see the point in paying SVTech for something that has already been able to do themselves ... the paperwork they send will AFAIK be the same as already supplied to the DVLA and the OP will probably still have to send it off, unless SVTech do so, in which case it's an expensive postage stamp!

Mel that’s your opinion, I stated in my post earlier today I sent in all the paperwork requested by them they have no record of it no doubt been destroyed by now. Apparently if you send in such a request they are not obliged to send a letter informing if you get something wrong they just send a new V5.
I consider its money well spent and I am getting a bit twitchy as we have a ferry booked and paid for to Spain in March.
SV tech will also send me new wieght plates all in with the price, as Lenny said in an earlier post if I did this through Hymer I would be paying more than ÂŁ200

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Mel that’s your opinion, I stated in my post earlier today I sent in all the paperwork requested by them they have no record of it no doubt been destroyed by now. Apparently if you send in such a request they are not obliged to send a letter informing if you get something wrong they just send a new V5..
I consider its money well spent and I am getting a bit twitchy as we have a ferry booked and paid for to Spain in March.
SV tech will also send me new wieght plates all in with the price, as Lenny said in an earlier post if I did this through Hymer I would be paying more than ÂŁ200
Everyone should do as they wish, I was just commenting on my view of doing this. :)

When we uprated our previous camper we were also going on holiday and had been sent a wrong V5C so I got in touch with them on the phone then explained the problem and they issued me with a temporary one whilst they got the correct one issued as it wouldn't arrive before I left. I put the info on here somewhere.

Edit ... some info here:

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/driving-abroad-without-v5c-doc.135107/#post-1954618

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Get the other plate and stick it on the other side, Then if you have a licence check point that one out and a weighbridge check point the other one out, Simples. Just pay more tax.:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
An update, 3.5 weeks since I posted the paperwork to the DVLA and nothing back from them. Phoned them at lunchtime explained all and the helpful lady asked the vehicle details so she could check on the progress of the application, came back with nothing yet on the system phone back next week. On the advice of SV Tech I stopped the standing order for the monthly payment of road tax when I submitted the paperwork along with a completed V70 and a cheque for 6 months tax at the higher rate for a 3500 weight.
That made me wonder If van was not taxed now, so onto the DVLA site and checked vehicle status, so it was a surprise to find it’s taxed at 3500kg till August.
The incompetence shown by the DVLA beggars belief there’s obviously no communication between departments. So hopefully my V5 will arrive shortly. Why did they ever shut down the regional offices it was so much easier speaking face to face, no doubt a money saving gesture but dealing with them long distance can be a nightmare. Rant over (for now)

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
That sounds like good news. If it is taxed it must be registered, all you are now missing is some paperwork.
It’s been a real struggle with them and has been going on since 15th January when I submitted the first application when they mysteriously lost all the accompanying paperwork. Not fit for purpose springs to mind, but at least I can now legally use my van on a public road.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back