Do you remember where you are? (1 Viewer)

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Sounds daft, but when we travel, quite often we are not sure of our exact address! This came to the fore when I was ill the other winter, somewhere in Spain. We realised that if Paul had to call for an ambulance he might not remember where we were! We now have a small white board on the bathroom door, & I try to remember to put the name of the campsite/stop and also the what three words location. That way if either of us are in a panic, we have the information to hand. Obviously worse when abroad, but still useful in the UK for the exact location. 🤷

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Happened to me a few years ago in France. Motorhome on canalside marina while visiting my brother's boat. Walked into town next morning. Walking through the market, felt unwell then suddenly started vomiting and collapsed. Passers-by called an ambulance and I was taken to hospital in the next city. All got sorted then I was discharged. O.K now what? Needed a taxi to get back to M/H. Tried to explain destination but not easy (brother's phone number not recognised). Got there eventually but it's not something you think about 'till needed. ☹️

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
We carry photocopies of important documents in our wallets. Every time we leave the van we write where we are parked on the reverse. So far it’s not been used in an emergency situation.

My only concern is that someone could access bank accounts, etc by using the details if the wallet was stolen BUT with contactless cards they could go on a spending spree anyway.

Gordon

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
I can never recall the places I’ve been!

But more seriously

WHAT THREE WORDS

Widely used by emergency services in the UK, not sure how widespread elsewhere.

Even if you don’t plan on using it, it’s well worth downloading it and keeping it for emergencies.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
If we are in a strange town in a hotel or the MH I always carry a business card (if available), or photograph the outside of the building, of the place where we are staying, on the basis that it should have the info of the place in the native language. Therefore just show it to a local taxi driver instead of them trying to decipher something hand written by me.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
If you use google maps on your phone, it records your time line and where you have travelled from and to. So easy to get back to the van. Again as above, press and hold a finger on the location and it will bring up details

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
Before smartphones and sat nav I got a puncture on the A6, somewhere south of Disley.

It's a long road.

I needed to call the AA, so I had to knock on a couple of doors to ask for their postcode!

(wheel wouldn't come off. I had WD40 so put some on, and of course by the time the patrol arrived it came off easy!)

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Years ago my mother called RAC the car would not start she was in a new town surrounded with multi storey car parks.

She called the RAC they asked where she was
She replied withe the towns name
Then then asked where
Multi storey car park
Which floor
She told them say 3
Operator then asked which multi storey there's quiet a few
Mother responded
The one by bingo

The breakdown guy called her said to sit tight and he'd find her after numerous calls asking her to look over the balcony to if she could see the van he found her.

Then the van was too tall to get in :rofl:

He got her going with a push and a bump start. Dint think he'll ever forget the battery old girl who did not know which car park but was competent when bump starting

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
I can never recall the places I’ve been!

But more seriously

WHAT THREE WORDS

Widely used by emergency services in the UK, not sure how widespread elsewhere.

Even if you don’t plan on using it, it’s well worth downloading it and keeping it for emergencies.
I've been a big fan of what3words since first hearing of it some years ago.

When I had my heart attack on some unknown dual carrageway in Bristol I used it to send the ambulance directly to me.
Then one of the paramedics drove my car to a secure spot at their depot while I was taken behind in the ambulance and I used w3w again to record the location before being conveyed to hospital so I could find it when released.

Double value. Everyone should have one.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I've been a big fan of what3words since first hearing of it some years ago.

When I had my heart attack on some unknown dual carrageway in Bristol I used it to send the ambulance directly to me.
Then one of the paramedics drove my car to a secure spot at their depot while I was taken behind in the ambulance and I used w3w again to record the location before being conveyed to hospital so I could find it when released.

Double value. Everyone should have one.
Not a comment on w3w but on the brilliant NHS staff poorly paid but many are worth their weight in gold 😀

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Not a fan of w3w, my wife invited we use it earlier this year for the first time, the sat nav said one spot w3w disagreed, turned out the sat nav was spot on and w3w took us down a road to the next field rather than the bridal path to the location. Co ordinates are easy they are on my watch phone and satnav

You dont need W3W or co ordinates if you have an iPhone or Android just use the SOS feature

if you have an iPhone you can use the SOS feature

Use Emergency SOS on your iPhone​

With Emergency SOS, you can quickly and easily call for help and alert your emergency contacts.

Use Emergency SOS via satellite on your iPhone​

Emergency SOS via satellite availability​

• You need an iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone 15 or iPhone 15 Pro with:
    • iOS 16.1 or later in the US or Canada
    • iOS 16.2 or later in France, Germany, Ireland and the UK
    • iOS 16.4 or later in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Portugal, Spain and Switzerland

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
From my days doing breakdown work in rural Lincolnshire it could be challenging finding people. The biggest saving were mobile phones becoming popular. Saying that I spent a lot of time on the phone trying to figure out what junction 5 a guy was at. There are a lot of choices believe me.
When we were on our travels I have the habit of thinking we’re we are in case we have to explain to emergency services our location. I can do grid references but what 3 words is beyond me at the moment.

OP
OP
Stonemags76

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
I don’t use What Three Words to navigate, just to pin point our position. Open the app & there it is - copy & paste to kids & write on board - sorted!

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
I can do grid references but what 3 words is beyond me at the moment.

Just download the app,
Open it up
It shows exactly where you are to 3sq metres
And the 3 words which identify it

Anyone with the app can find you using those 3 words

Simples

IMG_3283.png

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
In WhatsApp you can share your location.

Not a fan of w3w, my wife invited we use it earlier this year for the first time, the sat nav said one spot w3w disagreed, turned out the sat nav was spot on and w3w took us down a road to the next field rather than the bridal path to the location. Co ordinates are easy they are on my watch phone and satnav

You dont need W3W or co ordinates if you have an iPhone or Android just use the SOS feature

if you have an iPhone you can use the SOS feature

Use Emergency SOS on your iPhone​

With Emergency SOS, you can quickly and easily call for help and alert your emergency contacts.

Use Emergency SOS via satellite on your iPhone​

Emergency SOS via satellite availability​

• You need an iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone 15 or iPhone 15 Pro with:
    • iOS 16.1 or later in the US or Canada
    • iOS 16.2 or later in France, Germany, Ireland and the UK
    • iOS 16.4 or later in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Portugal, Spain and Switzerland
Does that send your location to the ambulance service?
And what if you want to send notification in advance as to where you want to meet people?
Or exactly which entrance to the forest park is best?

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
From my days doing breakdown work in rural Lincolnshire it could be challenging finding people. The biggest saving were mobile phones becoming popular. Saying that I spent a lot of time on the phone trying to figure out what junction 5 a guy was at. There are a lot of choices believe me.
When we were on our travels I have the habit of thinking we’re we are in case we have to explain to emergency services our location. I can do grid references but what 3 words is beyond me at the moment.
How many digits are involved in a grid reference that narrows down to 2 metres around you?

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Does that send your location to the ambulance service?
And what if you want to send notification in advance as to where you want to meet people?
Or exactly which entrance to the forest park is best?
Woah there. I was just adding some information.

You need to take a chill pill ;)

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Having had the local Police give a lecture to a hall full of teenage Scouts about personal safety, and knowing that every person in the hall can read an O/S map in the dark and work out a manual 8 figure grid reference inside 20 seconds as they have all done in in real life scenarios, they said what they actually wanted was a What3Words location to an incident.

They then asked if anyone had W3W as an app on their phone. Out of about 100+ teenagers, three did not.

I'm not saying W3W is a perfect app, but it's pretty good, even if just to find the car in a big car park, or exactly which aisle the other half is in the supermarket.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back