Do you do a warm up & warm down of your moho engine ? (9 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
When I was taught to drive, it was all about minimising wear & tear on the vehicle, ie drive smoothly, stop smoothly, anticipate & reduce/increase speed & thus wear & tear on many parts of the vehicle, by acting in a mechanically sensitive manner :Eeek:
My self employed driving instructor was a bit of a stickler šŸ¤Æ for not in any way causing excessive running wear on his vehicle, let alone damage!! So that is why I drive like that šŸ±
It's also better for your passengers, which is another reason why I taught my family to drive this way.
I think the current crop of instructors have grown up in vehicles that are so engineered that drivers are more isolated from the metalwork with the unfortunate but inevitable consequence of being less mechanically sympathetic.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
It's also better for your passengers, which is another reason why I taught my family to drive this way.
I think the current crop of instructors have grown up in vehicles that are so engineered that drivers are more isolated from the metalwork with the unfortunate but inevitable consequence of being less mechanically sympathetic.

Is that not inevitable, with modern vehicles, one no longer spends long sunny Sunday afternoons under the vehicle with a grease gun or under the bonnet checking the plugs and points.

Everything now has become too technical for the ordinary driver to fix unless they have a degree in, either computers or electronics!
These are both executed AWAY from the vehicle, not laying underneath discovering another little bit about how it works.

I've met modern drivers who have NEVER even opened their bonnet! šŸ˜¢

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
True though how the fill screen wash etc between services I don't know.
Is that not inevitable, with modern vehicles, one no longer spends long sunny Sunday afternoons under the vehicle with a grease gun or under the bonnet checking the plugs and points.

Everything now has become too technical for the ordinary driver to fix unless they have a degree in, either computers or electronics!
These are both executed AWAY from the vehicle, not laying underneath discovering another little bit about how it works.

I've met modern drivers who have NEVER even opened their bonnet! šŸ˜¢
Interesting that this should come up today - my car ownership goes back to the days of starting handles so I spent plenty of time under the bonnet if not under the car but times move on & I can't even remember the last time I changed a tyre.

We bough a new-to-us 2007 Mini this Eastertime & today a new yellow warning light flashed at me so I went to the instruction manual & find it tells me that tomorrow I need to lift the bonnet for the first time ever and add washer fluid... Wish me luck!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
Itā€™s a Modine oil cooler. It initially will heat the oil and thin it, but at running/racing temps it will be cooling the oil.

The main function is warming the oil. If it wasn't it would be an air/oil cooler šŸ˜

Unless on track I never saw oil temp higher than water temp.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
J m too tight to even consider warming an engine, and as for cooling one down, I turn engine off beforehand and coast into the aire

Luckily if I overshoot it Paula gets out to save the brake pads overworking šŸ‘

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Itā€™s a Modine oil cooler. It initially will heat the oil and thin it, but at running/racing temps it will be cooling the oil.

That's the reason, most are called a heat 'exchanger' because it changes from a heater to a cooler. šŸ¤”

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
It would be interesting to see the stats on this.

Start engine, drive off, stop, switch off. Just like everyone does in a car and just like every commercial driver does.

Average life expectancy say 200,000 miles? What is added by the warm up/cool down routines, or subtracted by not doing them?

And how many of us ever put 200,000 miles on a motorhome engine?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It would be interesting to see the stats on this.

Start engine, drive off, stop, switch off. Just like everyone does in a car and just like every commercial driver does.

Average life expectancy say 200,000 miles? What is added by the warm up/cool down routines, or subtracted by not doing them?

And how many of us ever put 200,000 miles on a motorhome engine?
Not just that but how many are going to ever get near the mileage before they sell it for it to make any difference

Aug 24, 2023
Brixham, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 3007
Exp
September 2023 :)
Thing is weā€™re talking about a medium duty diesel engine in a van and not a big heavy industrial engine in a piece of equipment that holds and struggles to dissipate heat or a truck engine working at the verge of its duty cycle for long periods.

Each to their own and all that and if people sleep better in their beds for a bit of cool down then fair play but itā€™s not standard practice in road transport and neither has it been for the last 20+ years.

As already said you wonā€™t ever put a mh engine under the loads that the average Amazon/DHL/any parcel company you can think of driver will on a daily basis.
No disrespect Daffy64, but I think you'll find that new vehicles are recommended to be "run in" by the manufacturer.

Aug 24, 2023
Brixham, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 3007
Exp
September 2023 :)
In actual fact the thing that's the worst thing to do with a rebuilt aeroplane engine is treat it too gently it needs variations in power and has a different oil for the running in period. The explanation I heard was that the machining wasn't to a final polish and running in at a slow steady speed can lead to glazing of the bores requiring another rebuild. Slow and steady isn't necessarily the kindest!

From aviation safety magazine

"The trick is to force the rings against the cylinder walls during the break-in process, minimizing lubrication. This is best accomplished by running the engine at high power settings, which generate the highest internal cylinder pressures, maximizing both ring expansion against the cylinder walls and friction"

Just the opposite of what people would expect. If modern engines are designed to be used out of the box with a full range of power settings being too gentle could be bad!
I'm glad I'm not driving my MH like a plane :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Mind you, it is 23 years old so running in is not a problem.
If it was brand new, then I would still go with running in, if I was desiding on keeping it!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back