Do you do a warm up & warm down of your moho engine ? (33 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
When I was taught to drive, it was all about minimising wear & tear on the vehicle, ie drive smoothly, stop smoothly, anticipate & reduce/increase speed & thus wear & tear on many parts of the vehicle, by acting in a mechanically sensitive manner :Eeek:
My self employed driving instructor was a bit of a stickler 🤯 for not in any way causing excessive running wear on his vehicle, let alone damage!! So that is why I drive like that 🐱
It's also better for your passengers, which is another reason why I taught my family to drive this way.
I think the current crop of instructors have grown up in vehicles that are so engineered that drivers are more isolated from the metalwork with the unfortunate but inevitable consequence of being less mechanically sympathetic.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
It's also better for your passengers, which is another reason why I taught my family to drive this way.
I think the current crop of instructors have grown up in vehicles that are so engineered that drivers are more isolated from the metalwork with the unfortunate but inevitable consequence of being less mechanically sympathetic.

Is that not inevitable, with modern vehicles, one no longer spends long sunny Sunday afternoons under the vehicle with a grease gun or under the bonnet checking the plugs and points.

Everything now has become too technical for the ordinary driver to fix unless they have a degree in, either computers or electronics!
These are both executed AWAY from the vehicle, not laying underneath discovering another little bit about how it works.

I've met modern drivers who have NEVER even opened their bonnet! 😢

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
True though how the fill screen wash etc between services I don't know.
Is that not inevitable, with modern vehicles, one no longer spends long sunny Sunday afternoons under the vehicle with a grease gun or under the bonnet checking the plugs and points.

Everything now has become too technical for the ordinary driver to fix unless they have a degree in, either computers or electronics!
These are both executed AWAY from the vehicle, not laying underneath discovering another little bit about how it works.

I've met modern drivers who have NEVER even opened their bonnet! 😢
Interesting that this should come up today - my car ownership goes back to the days of starting handles so I spent plenty of time under the bonnet if not under the car but times move on & I can't even remember the last time I changed a tyre.

We bough a new-to-us 2007 Mini this Eastertime & today a new yellow warning light flashed at me so I went to the instruction manual & find it tells me that tomorrow I need to lift the bonnet for the first time ever and add washer fluid... Wish me luck!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
It’s a Modine oil cooler. It initially will heat the oil and thin it, but at running/racing temps it will be cooling the oil.

The main function is warming the oil. If it wasn't it would be an air/oil cooler 😏

Unless on track I never saw oil temp higher than water temp.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
J m too tight to even consider warming an engine, and as for cooling one down, I turn engine off beforehand and coast into the aire

Luckily if I overshoot it Paula gets out to save the brake pads overworking 👍

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
It’s a Modine oil cooler. It initially will heat the oil and thin it, but at running/racing temps it will be cooling the oil.

That's the reason, most are called an 'exchanger' because it changes from a heater to a cooler. 🤔

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back