Do you do a warm up & warm down of your moho engine ? (16 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
But if it lasts 12 months the manufacturer is happy They only have to comply with emissions requirements .If it fails that is the owners problem at at his cost
Our car is 8 years old it's been on all the time no problem. Maybe it's been designed to work that way! It does mean when we lived in a city we at least didn't pollute stopped at the traffic lights

Aug 24, 2023
Brixham, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 3007
Exp
September 2023 :)
A diesel should be driven as soon as it's started, it will warm up quicker under load.
Idling for a few seconds after a fast run will do no good whatsoever.....it will still be too hot to touch 10 minutes after stopping.
Next it will be said you have to run in a new van at a reduced speed .....utter crap.
A new vehicle should always be "run in" as this is stated by the manufacturer.
The reason being, not just the tightness of the engine components, but the whole vehicle itself.
All the components such as wheel bearings, UJ's, etc, etc, are brand new and tight.
So running a brand new vehicle for long periods of time makes all the new components get very hot,
whilst still very tight......hense, run in at a steady but not excessive speed.
Running in will make your vehicle last for many more years to come, believe me!

Some people think that because an engine has been "bench tested" that it is run in............utter crap!
It has only been run on a bench to check that the engine runs as it should. It is definitely not run in.

When I say "vehicles", I don't mean aeroplanes, 'cos you can't really run them in at a lower speed really!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
The reason being, not just the tightness of the engine components, but the whole vehicle itself.
All the components such as wheel bearings, UJ's, etc, etc, are brand new and tight.
So running a brand new vehicle for long periods of time makes all the new components get very hot,

Some people think that because an engine has been "bench tested" that it is run in............utter crap!
It has only been run on a bench to check that the engine runs as it should. It is definitely not run in.

When I say "vehicles", I don't mean aeroplanes, 'cos you can't really run them in at a lower speed really!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
So, taking your hypothesis about everything tight and overheating when new, what happens with aircraft engines? 🤔

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp

In actual fact the thing that's the worst thing to do with a rebuilt aeroplane engine is treat it too gently it needs variations in power and has a different oil for the running in period. The explanation I heard was that the machining wasn't to a final polish and running in at a slow steady speed can lead to glazing of the bores requiring another rebuild. Slow and steady isn't necessarily the kindest!

From aviation safety magazine

"The trick is to force the rings against the cylinder walls during the break-in process, minimizing lubrication. This is best accomplished by running the engine at high power settings, which generate the highest internal cylinder pressures, maximizing both ring expansion against the cylinder walls and friction"

Just the opposite of what people would expect. If modern engines are designed to be used out of the box with a full range of power settings being too gentle could be bad!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
The oil will circulate sufficiently within a few seconds on start up, I wouldn't worry. I remember people used to rev the engine before switching off years ago so there was fuel in the system for the next start up!!!!!
Those were the days when you would see people at fuel stations lifting the filling pipe to get the last drop out! :LOL:
Modern engines, state of the art lubrication things have moved on.
And all these years I've been thinking it was just me who did that with the fuel pipe...

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Too hot ??? Most engines are able to regulate their temperature nowadays , I've driven and been involved with stop/start vehicles since their inception and never experienced a "too hot " scenario. Most vehicles are fitted with a coolant to oil heat exchanger and performance engines also have additional oil coolers. Too hot would indicate a malfunction of some kind.

Erm 🫤 don’t know what to say…. No malfunction… I’m not suggesting jeopardy, so for example not the engine overheating and too hot, but outside of parameters for the engine to go off via stop:start too hot! 🙃

My later M5’s both had stop start, but it didn’t operate all the time for the reasons mentioned above. This could be the charge/inlet temperature too high, coolant or oil temp too high, turbos too warm etc etc

May 21, 2019
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance
Exp
Since 2015
Erm 🫤 don’t know what to say…. No malfunction… I’m not suggesting jeopardy, so for example not the engine overheating and too hot, but outside of parameters for the engine to go off via stop:start too hot! 🙃

My later M5’s both had stop start, but it didn’t operate all the time for the reasons mentioned above. This could be the charge/inlet temperature too high, coolant or oil temp too high, turbos too warm etc etc
Ahh.... should have got AMGs from the competitor.....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back