Do A Class Motorhomes Have Noisy Cabs? (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
Evening Fellow Funsters😊,
Following on from my previous post re possibly swapping out our C class Laika for an A class (we fancy a bigger screen as our jolly’s are mainly into the highlands of Scotland where the view enroute is a massive part of the journey), I went a meander today to a dealer that had a few in stock.
I’m pretty fussy and most of the coachbuilts that I couldn’t help having a nosey at really made me appreciate what we’ve already got.
Onto the A Class’s, there was the below Itineo (which was the reason i was there as liked it on paper).

However a quick look round it and it was discounted, wasn’t impressed with the build quality….the trim around the screen was delaminating badly, old damp stains inside, shower with no external wooden door, and the screen didn’t seem much larger than my C class.

What did catch me out was the below Pilote, I’ll confess I’ve never been much of a fan of that era of them as they look a bit well…old. But looking around it, it really impressed me (also had the Fiat 3L engine). Took it a drive and loved the view out the screen, found it easy to place on the road but…..I was surprised at the level of noise and creakiness in the cab area - is this normal? Is it the bed?
I did mention this to the sellers and we checked the bed area but it was all nice and tight - they did mention ‘they all do that’

My question is - do they?

Our Laika makes no noise in the cab other than some engine noise.

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
My Burstner Elegance creaks and crashes about all over the place. (y) Mainly due to the higher tyre pressures but it’s all part of the character. Once you stop it’s perfect. You’re never going to get a nice quiet drive in a motorhome.
As to garages then you need to steer clear of the ones who give ridiculous over the top estimates for work just because of the way it’s constructed. It’s just a Fiat Ducato van at the end of the day. :rolleyes:
I travel 190 miles each way to get my van serviced and MOT’d to an extremely honest and family run garage. They are fantastic people and nothing is any problem for them. They service a local coach companies vehicles and have a BIG ramp. (y)

Upvote 0

Ralphey

Visiting Coventry
Mar 7, 2023
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia
Exp
Evening Fellow Funsters😊,
Following on from my previous post re possibly swapping out our C class Laika for an A class (we fancy a bigger screen as our jolly’s are mainly into the highlands of Scotland where the view enroute is a massive part of the journey), I went a meander today to a dealer that had a few in stock.
I’m pretty fussy and most of the coachbuilts that I couldn’t help having a nosey at really made me appreciate what we’ve already got.
Onto the A Class’s, there was the below Itineo (which was the reason i was there as liked it on paper).

However a quick look round it and it was discounted, wasn’t impressed with the build quality….the trim around the screen was delaminating badly, old damp stains inside, shower with no external wooden door, and the screen didn’t seem much larger than my C class.

What did catch me out was the below Pilote, I’ll confess I’ve never been much of a fan of that era of them as they look a bit well…old. But looking around it, it really impressed me (also had the Fiat 3L engine). Took it a drive and loved the view out the screen, found it easy to place on the road but…..I was surprised at the level of noise and creakiness in the cab area - is this normal? Is it the bed?
I did mention this to the sellers and we checked the bed area but it was all nice and tight - they did mention ‘they all do that’

My question is - do they?

Our Laika makes no noise in the cab other than some engine noise.
Yes

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMLi880
Exp
Owned a MH since 2012
Owned 3 A classes to date: 1) Pilote Explorateur (Fiat) - a bit rattly as I recall, mainly from the overcab bed area 2) Carthago Chic E Line (Fiat) - no rattles 3) Hymer BMLi (Mercedes) - no rattles.

On the issue of service / maintenance costs - I’ve always gone back to a main agent (Fiat & Mercedes Truck & Van) and never been aware of paying over and above the standard rates for the relevant chassis - Ducato or Sprinter.

Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
Yes I have a feeling the blinds were rattling as well as the bed which perhaps didn’t help
When our current 'van was new-to-us I spent ages trying to work out whether the rattle behind us (the ONLY rattle, well done Murvi) was coming from the cassette blind on the right or the one on the left.

Turns out it was from the roof-light in the middle 🤣
Solution was to half-close the blind for travelling as it wasn't the blind itself but the guide wires the control arm slides along.
So good luck - whatever you buy there are likely to be noises you wouldn't get in a modern car so my plan would be to just tackle them patiently & persistently.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
One of these
That's amazing, should cure a problem I didn't know I had thank you!

And there was me thinking an engine blanket was the scratchy army surplus thing we used to tuck in all round at night on my A30 to make starting easier on those frostbitten mornings in Aberdeen...🥶

Upvote 0
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
The engine noise from our A class is louder than I had hoped, but then it is at the more budget end of the market. In the fullness of time I think we will look at some sort of dampening in the dash board. On the other hand it is really well built and there are no creaks or rattles at all.

We also looked at Hymer and N&B and they were definitely quieter to drive. We were sort of disappointed that we didn't like the layout as much as the Carado, but we felt size and layout - which is always a personal thing - are the essential criteria. Build quality, price etc. follow on once you know the set up works for you. I still think about getting an N&B but keep coming back to the same things that don't work for us, as soon as that changes we will probably go for one. Anyway, my point is I think the more expensive quality vehicles are quieter and you shouldn't get sidetracked by the pro and anti A class groups, it is what works for you that counts.

I really can't I imagine paying a premium for servicing, especially on a 2010 vehicle where you can use a local garage you trust.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
My Burstner Elegance creaks and crashes about all over the place. (y) Mainly due to the higher tyre pressures but it’s all part of the character. Once you stop it’s perfect. You’re never going to get a nice quiet drive in a motorhome.
As to garages then you need to steer clear of the ones who give ridiculous over the top estimates for work just because of the way it’s constructed. It’s just a Fiat Ducato van at the end of the day. :rolleyes:
I travel 190 miles each way to get my van serviced and MOT’d to an extremely honest and family run garage. They are fantastic people and nothing is any problem for them. They service a local coach companies vehicles and have a BIG ramp. (y)
Can I ask who you use please?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DT

Dec 27, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Boats Caravans & Motorhomes for 25 years
My Geist A Class was pretty noisy. From what I've seen, it shares a fair amount of components with Pilote a classes. A lot of the noise comes from the overhead bed. Mine is also full Fiat chassis, not Alko, and doesn't have a full double floor.

It was terrible when I got it. But putting some sound deadening in the dash, non camper tyres and full air has made it far more tolerable. It's ok now, but hit a larger road imperfection and it booms. The M6 viaducts through Birmingham are not fun.
M6 jun 6-10 are never fun whatever you drive.

Upvote 0

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
The Rollerteam Pegaso we have now is fine, the Dethleffs Globus I1 we had before was bad, poor design ment that the 6 Inches of fiberglass running the full width of the vehicle under the windscreen had no insulation, and a gap at the front with just a bit of foam shoved in that popped out on or first motorway trip.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Pilote P732, c class but! Alko chassis, double floor, once you get the cupboard rattles sorted and doir squeeks you fine tune to those littler ones. I found the front surround and secondary cover trim is held without screws and uses a very firm velcro, being firm you really have to compress each strip together. Now its not silent but it is ok, ps still on CP tyres on the fronts which may well get replaced before much longer

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
Interesting, did that improve things?
I think everything helps a little, my van was not overly noisy but you can always improve things.
Van will happily cruise at 60-65 and I can have a conversation at a normal level.
Only time mine gets noisy is when the transmission fan comes on, scared the crap out of me first time as I thought something had broken 😁😁

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Itineo SB740
Exp
In second year of full time travel around Europe
Woah, why the hate for Itineos?! We’ve bought a 4 year old one and have been travelling full-time for two years all across Europe in it. We’ve had the best time! Some people don’t have a bottomless pool of money for Carthagos or Hymers (would have loved one of those) and Itineos are a solid budget choice in my opinion.

Anyway, our overhead bed frame does creak on journeys with very bumpy roads, otherwise the noise that we hear most often comes from the blinds on the side windows, so not A Class specific.

Upvote 0
Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
I had 2 Heralds; a 12:50 and then a 13:60. If only their engine access was matched by their corrosion resistance everything would have been wonderful!
Ah, the Triumph Herald. I learned to drive in one back in the 1960's....:giggle:

Upvote 0
Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
While we are on about road noises, does anyone else hate the M25 from the M4 round to the Dover exit? They must have used Soviet navvies and a job lot of concrete. It's like driving across 50 miles of cattle grids. We've got to face it again next week as we head off to catch the ferry., not looking forward to it.... :eek: ..

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2020
Scotland Central
Funster No
MH
A Class Pilote
Exp
Since 2014
Pilote is an excellent Motorhome with excellent build quality. We purchased ours at ten years old and have had it for ten years to date. Approximately 8k miles per year. No major issues would buy one again.
Travel well and travel safely.

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC t789
Exp
On 4th van so not a total newbie....
While we are on about road noises, does anyone else hate the M25 from the M4 round to the Dover exit? They must have used Soviet navvies and a job lot of concrete. It's like driving across 50 miles of cattle grids. We've got to face it again next week as we head off to catch the ferry., not looking forward to it.... :eek: ..
Yes awful, normally go north to avoid it.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Which means as soon as you take it into a garage to get something really simple done, the bloke on the other side, sucks in his teeth as says "not seen one of these before" and immediately doubles the price and the labour cost before he has even looked at the issue.
In that case you should reverse the charge as you are providing his opportunity to learn and train on something different, after all isn't that what we do to our Engineers, Nurses & Dr's make them pay for University before being let loose and even then pay them a paltry salary. So next time get them to halve the bill ;)

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
If you are going from Colchester to Dover then you are going the wrong way around the M25!
;)

The 30 mile cattle grid section is between the exits 8 and 11 (nearly M23/Gatwick to M3/Basingstoke)

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The Le Voyageur LVX (aka posh Pilote) does not creak mainly because there is no overcab bed.
My overcab was restrained from moving side to side by two roughly pointed metal parts obviously designed to wreck the decor and, presumably, to puncture the side of the van. Replacing them cured most of the noise. The remainder is caused by the stupid drop-down mirrors creating wind noise and vibrating enough to rattle the blinds.

Upvote 0
Jul 3, 2019
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato MWB, DIY :-)
Exp
10 years campervanning, 60+ camping
On engine sound deadening front, I had an astonishing reduction on our Ducato X290 pvc after lining the plastic injector cover with sticky-back acoustic foam, c40mm thick. Also did the back of the bonnet and some thin stuff inside the dash vent scoop. I'd have liked more space to do more of the firewall/scuttle, though also did the sides of the battery box.

Upvote 0
Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
If you are going from Colchester to Dover then you are going the wrong way around the M25!
;)

The 30 mile cattle grid section is between the exits 8 and 11 (nearly M23/Gatwick to M3/Basingstoke)
Well, to misquote an Irish man, if I was in Colchester I wouldn't start from there....:unsure:

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!