Data sim 'Flavour of the month' for EU roaming? (39 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Looking at current offerings for Data sims in EU. Don't want a contract.

ID mobile £10 a month for 100GB - 30GB cap in EU. (could get 2 or 3 of those I guess)

IQ mobile £20 annual charge for the sim and then £20 for 100GB. Limited to 3 months in 12 in the EU.

RWG used to be good but limited to 20GB roaming now.

Any other good deals for EU roaming/no contract?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think Minxy was referring to the 90 pence Lebara which we were discussing. It is 15GB over all so is obviously limited to 15gb abroad.
Correct, we only get the 15gb ones as we don't use a lot of data and prefer to have 2 x 15gb rather than 1 x 30gb so we have the use of one in case the other craps up which we've had happen before.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
So, no use for buying now and taking to France next week? If its a 15GB allowance I can't use 15GB before I go as I won't have anything left for when I'm there. I'd need to buy and use for a month before I go? Am I understanding correctly?
You should be okay so long as you use some in the UK as it's checked over 120 days, based on that you should still have 2 x 30 days of 15gb (less the bit you used beforehand) before they start checking.

We've certainly had them and not maxed in the UK before and been able to use the full 15gb on them for roaming but obviously if you have them a lot earlier than you need them it allows you to do so.

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Not sure they do now, they dropped roaming to 20Gb a couple of months ago. Currently trying to move my number off their network but STAC and PAC codes not working a customer support is pants.
On their site now, see

I have kept my mobile with them the deal is ok and less than 20gb data, the van we cancelled online no issues and bought an IQ mobile in preparation for a trip, but considering Tesco mobile now.

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life
£60 a month for 200Gb/month in Europe - If you need lots of data have a look at
ConnectPls £59/month for unlimited data in Europe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
An interesting article on Popit here https://ourtour.co.uk/home/roaming-europe-with-a-popit-data-sim-theres-a-catch-folks/

Has anyone else experienced this? We were considering them for next year.

So we are now in our last but one day in Europe. We caught the Eurotunnel at the start of Sept 2023 and we get the Dieppe sailing on Monday morning.

We’ve both been using 30Gb Popit services in our iPhone 11’s and since Christmas our iPhone 15’s. Other than 20 days over Christmas we have been roaming constantly. We are both still 100% compliant with their Roaming policy as shown in the app.

The ability to be away for such extended periods and still use our UK number and all services as if we were at home is frankly invaluable.

We make sure we don’t connect to wifi when in UK and try and max out our data allowance so we are, as far as the algorithms are concerned, UK users.

Off again for another 270 days away from end of August.

I can’t recommend Popit highly enough as a phone data provider. ✔️

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Few years now
An interesting article on Popit here https://ourtour.co.uk/home/roaming-europe-with-a-popit-data-sim-theres-a-catch-folks/

Yes, i wouldn't use them again. Couldn't cancel or park it up as i didn't have enough use in UK , but they wouldn't tell me what the UK usage requirement was. Ended up costing me £40 instead of £20.
The dashboard was telling me i was compliant up until the point i wanted to park it up.
Gone with IQ for our current trip

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Yes, i wouldn't use them again. Couldn't cancel or park it up as i didn't have enough use in UK , but they wouldn't tell me what the UK usage requirement was. Ended up costing me £40 instead of £20.
The dashboard was telling me i was compliant up until the point i wanted to park it up.
Gone with IQ for our current trip

I’m not sure they should be criticised when people don’t use the service as the operator requires?

Popit is a phone SIM not a data SIM. If one chooses to use as a data SIM and only when roaming, then IMHO its not unreasonable that they apply their policy to your service. 🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
I’ve been using Id mobile in France for the last few days. Had to set router for eu roaming and it works perfectly and receiving all uk channels. I pay £12 a monthly for 250 gig with 30 gig in Europe. Set the stick to the lowest setting.

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Few years now
I’m not sure they should be criticised when people don’t use the service as the operator requires?

Popit is a phone SIM not a data SIM. If one chooses to use as a data SIM and only when roaming, then IMHO its not unreasonable that they apply their policy to your service. 🤷‍♂️
There was nothing in their policy on what was fair usage or how it should be used, so how could i comply. I checked the T&Cs very carefully and there was nothing at the time stating i had to use it as a phone sim and not use in a router or second phone as a hotspot.

Reading the article the OP linked, it looks like they may have updated the T&Cs to clarify fair usage with roaming. However last year the customer services agents couldn't tell me what was their fair usage policy. They just told me to use some data before i left. That i did as well as sending a few texts & making a call.

I am sure many people are happy with them. I wasn't hence wouldn't use them again.

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2

Honeslty I still say why bother with all these sneaky T&C's .. you can buy a sim from a machine in a supermarket in France right now, and easily similarly in spain, for not 100Gb, but 300Gb per month for under 20 euro, no contract.

You just need a sim to see you from tunnel to the hypermarket...

If you just using as per the above blog to tether your other devices to, why not consider it, it's likely a lot cheaper, and theres no roaming compliance nonsense, if you need > 3 month, you buy 4 months. Only issue is you need a seperate sim for France and Spain, but is this really a large issue as they roam across the border for 30-35Gb or so, so giving you time to switch to another sim for your next country.

I do appreciate not everyone can speak the language, but at this point with roaming compliance being so difficult and a relative faff, why not consider it?

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Honeslty I still say why bother with all these sneaky T&C's .. you can buy a sim from a machine in a supermarket in France right now, and easily similarly in spain, for not 100Gb, but 300Gb per month for under 20 euro, no contract.

If you just using as per the above blog to tether your other devices to, why not consider it, it's likely a lot cheaper, and theres no roaming compliance nonsense, if you need > 3 month, you buy 4 months. Only issue is you need a seperate sim for France and Spain, but is this really a large issue as they roam across the border for 30-35Gb or so, so giving you time to switch to another sim for your next country.

I do appreciate not everyone can speak the language, but at this point with roaming compliance being so difficult and a relative faff, why not consider it?
You also then need a Vpn to view UK tv

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Few years now

Fair point, but for us 100 gb per month in a router plus another 55gb on our phones is more than enough. With a UK sim we also dont need to mess with a VPN.

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Fair point, but for us 100 gb per month in a router plus another 55gb on our phones is more than enough. With a UK sim we also dont need to mess with a VPN.
Yeah I already have a VPN service required to actually watch my football team on Staurday 3pm kickoffs. I go on holiday to a country where 3pm games can be streamed every away game (via the VPN) on Saturday as can't get to most away games in person. The club only charges a small fee to stream a game to overseas supporters so at least my money going to my club instead of a big TV provider that way. They also helpfully list all the countries where the game has been sold to TV companies so unavailable for streaming the week before, so you just set the VPN to originate from any place they have not on the "sold" list, usually Italy or Australia are good choices.

Reality these days is the big boys have an app for the firestick (ExpressVPN) so it's entirely seamless. Some providers can reprogram your router too, but I've found the firestick app works a treat for all services on the firestick on ExpressVPN (or did last time I was abroad with it!).

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Few years now
Yeah I already have a VPN service required to actually watch my football team on Staurday 3pm kickoffs. I go on holiday to a country where 3pm games can be streamed every away game (via the VPN) on Saturday as can't get to most away games in person. The club only charges a small fee to stream a game to overseas supporters so at least my money going to my club instead of a big TV provider that way. They also helpfully list all the countries where the game has been sold to TV companies so unavailable for streaming the week before, so you just set the VPN to originate from any place they have not on the "sold" list, usually Italy or Australia are good choices.

Reality these days is the big boys have an app for the firestick (ExpressVPN) so it's entirely seamless. Some providers can reprogram your router too, but I've found the firestick app works a treat for all services on the firestick on ExpressVPN (or did last time I was abroad with it!).
I dont need a VPN to watch any live sport if I have a UK sim 😉

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
I dont need a VPN to watch any live sport if I have a UK sim 😉
You mean the 3pm Saturday embargo doesn't apply to you?

I'm talking about the games that legally Sky and all "legal" UK providers cannot stream. If they detect you coming from UK they "block it".

Thankfully Australia, Italy, Germany, many other places don't have that ridiculous rule, so if you appear as coming from there then you can watch a 3pm kickoff just fine via the clubs official website in many cases.

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Few years now
You mean the 3pm Saturday embargo doesn't apply to you?

I'm talking about the games that legally Sky and all "legal" UK providers cannot stream. If they detect you coming from UK they "block it".

Thankfully Australia, Italy, Germany, many other places don't have that ridiculous rule, so if you appear as coming from there then you can watch a 3pm kickoff just fine via the clubs official website in many cases.
I can watch all live sport if i choose t with a UK sim. Very rare i watch though.

Upvote 0

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
£60 a month for 200Gb/month in Europe - If you need lots of data have a look at
ConnectPls £59/month for unlimited data in Europe.

This doesn't seem to be available now. There are no details on the page now. Clicking on 'Subscribe Now!' just loops back.

1727187235008.png

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life
Yes you are correct that page seems to be broken if you go from the link at the top.

I am on an iPhone when I go to https://connectpls.com/ and just scroll down all the options are there.

Hang on the top link has started working now as well!

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2020
Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
boxer L4 H3
Exp
self built and finished
The sim plus Europe package looks good Albeit a bit expensive
anyone know what network it uses in Europe and if you would need a VPN to watch Netflix, nowtv, sky sports etc

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
Reglo sim is French I believe. The only reason I would need high data is to stream UK TV. So a local sim is of no use to me personally but thanks for the info.
Have you thought of factoring in the cost of a VPN? Stream UK TV through any similar?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back