Data sim 'Flavour of the month' for EU roaming? (43 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Looking at current offerings for Data sims in EU. Don't want a contract.

ID mobile £10 a month for 100GB - 30GB cap in EU. (could get 2 or 3 of those I guess)

IQ mobile £20 annual charge for the sim and then £20 for 100GB. Limited to 3 months in 12 in the EU.

RWG used to be good but limited to 20GB roaming now.

Any other good deals for EU roaming/no contract?

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Quite a few people buy a local PAYG simm.

The main issue with PAYG sim is that is many countries you need to be a resident and show your ID card to buy one.
(In order to stop drug dealers buying lots of 'burner' SIM's)

Correct me but I think this includes France, Germany Holland and Austria.
We managed to get one in Croatia last year.

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
Reglo sim is French I believe. The only reason I would need high data is to stream UK TV. So a local sim is of no use to me personally but thanks for the info.
If you are roaming in the EU, using a UK SIM will not help, because you will be roaming and therefore getting data via EU networks using their reciprocol arrangements with UK networks. That is why you get text messages saying welcome to the Orange network or whatever while abroad. I know from experience that the BBC and others will detect this and say that their content is not available in your location.

The only way around this is to use a VPN, and not all of them are equally good at hiding your location. We used to use PIA and that was very poor, most of their UK servers are recognised and so don't hide your location effectively for streaming purposes. They have one UK server dedicated for streaming but although this worked we found it to be so slow as to be useless. We now use SurfShark which works very well.

Upvote 1
Sep 30, 2021
South West, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
2yrs in & over 20% of nights 'out'
Can you be out the UK for 5/6 months a year and still get the 30gb?
EDIT-sorry, I think you were asking about ID Mobile. Info below for IQGo...

Nope.
IQGo Now states Max 3 months per year*
But, of course, 2 SIMS should get around that albeit for an extra £20

*I challenged this as it changed just after I bought SIM from 3mths in a row. Apparently my 2 x 2mths trips "will be fine" !!?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If you are roaming in the EU, using a UK SIM will not help, because you will be roaming and therefore getting data via EU networks using their reciprocol arrangements with UK networks. That is why you get text messages saying welcome to the Orange network or whatever while abroad. I know from experience that the BBC and others will detect this and say that their content is not available in your location.

The only way around this is to use a VPN, and not all of them are equally good at hiding your location. We used to use PIA and that was very poor, most of their UK servers are recognised and so don't hide your location effectively for streaming purposes. They have one UK server dedicated for streaming but although this worked we found it to be so slow as to be useless. We now use SurfShark which works very well.
If using a UK sim roaming uk tv should work without vpn.
I’m on Reglo so need a vpn , I use Surfshark also the only problem I have is BBC iPlayer sometimes get a error on live tv but with a bit juggling I get it to work.

Upvote 0
Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66

Not so. A UK SIM works fine for getting BBC iPlayer etc. when roaming in Europe. We've never had a problem with Lebara, O2, Vodafone, and many others. No need for a VPN with a UK SIM. The only issue is the roaming restrictions and fair use policies which limits the amount of roaming data you can use.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016

ID mobile £10 a month for 100GB - 30GB cap in EU. (could get 2 or 3 of those I guess)

IQ mobile £20 annual charge for the sim and then £20 for 100GB. Limited to 3 months in 12 in the EU.

If you get your phone sims on IQ they increase the allowance in EU to 120days.

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Few years now

Working fine for me in France using IQ & Vodafone UK sims.

Upvote 0
Mar 12, 2021
Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Malvern
Exp
Since 1999
Using UK sims has always enabled me to stream UK TV without a VPN. Lebara, Smarty and Three all used with no issues.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
If you get your phone sims on IQ they increase the allowance in EU to 120days.

Why do you say that? - it says on their website usage is limited to 3 months in 12.

Screenshot 2024-05-28 095524.png

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
Interesting that so many people have used UK SIMS and not needed a VPN. I will have to test that again and work out what I was doing wrong!

In any case the main issue has been data allowances and connection speed which is why I will be using Starlink on the next trip.

I don't yet know if that requires a VPN to view UK content. I will report back!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp

Not had this issue. I was surprised when I first used my UK sim abroad that I COULD access UK streaming. I only needed a VPN when I had a EU sim. I used RWG when in EU last autumn (when they allowed100gb roaming) and it worked fine for BBC, ITV etc.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
It's actually 250gb a month I'm just looking at it now as I'm paying £14 a month to ee for 20gb .

So with Id is there any time limit on roaming ?

Can you be out the UK for 5/6 months a year and still get the 30gb?

I have not seen any restrictions - unless it's hidden somewhere in some T & C's I haven't read.

Upvote 0

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Interesting that so many people have used UK SIMS and not needed a VPN. I will have to test that again and work out what I was doing wrong!

In any case the main issue has been data allowances and connection speed which is why I will be using Starlink on the next trip.

I don't yet know if that requires a VPN to view UK content. I will report back!
Starlink does need VPN to watch UK tv whilst in Europe

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
If using a UK sim roaming uk tv should work without vpn.
I’m on Reglo so need a vpn , I use Surfshark also the only problem I have is BBC iPlayer sometimes get a error on live tv but with a bit juggling I get it to work.
I have found expressVPN or Nord better (used to live in Hong Kong so used VPN's for 3 years) but they all stuggle with BBC - a bit of juggling often needed.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Why do you say that? - it says on their website usage is limited to 3 months in 12.

View attachment 902237
I got an email and they confirmed I get 120 days cover.

Dear Michael,

We hope you’ve enjoyed wonderful fault-free service on your IQ Go travel SIM. We wanted to highlight that IQ Mobile is more than just a travel SIM supplier.

We would love for you to experience the same great service for your personal mobile and we have a range of deals for you to consider.

For every personal SIM you port over to IQ Mobile we will increase the amount of time you can spend abroad on your travel SIM by an additional 15 days.

For example, your IQ Go travel SIM at present can do 90 days in a 12-month period. If you and a partner bring a personal mobile, then that would increase to 120 days in a 12-month period.

There is no limit to the number of SIMs you can bring over, so you can benefit from the credit from your wider family and friends to gain additional roaming time.

Why should you?
  • We love talking to and supporting you.
  • As a small business you’re not just a number to us!
  • All on the UK’s best network for 5G data
  • We include the same great European Roaming Offer on our pay monthly SIMs

Our SIM only plans are available in these sizes:

£7 a month (Just calls and Texts)
£10 a month 3GB + Calls and Texts
£12.50 a month 10GB + Calls and Texts
£15 a month 30GB + Calls and Texts
£25 a month 100GB + Calls and Texts

For a limited time only, you can receive 10% off for the first 3 months using code - IQPersonal10 which is valid until 5PM on 31st July 2024.

Don’t forget you can port your existing number across. Simply text ‘PAC’ to 65075 and let us know the code you get back.

Join the friendly network and experience us all year round!

Thanks

Frazer

IQ Customer Support Team
01225 588 101
help@helloiq.uk

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
I got an email and they confirmed I get 120 days cover.

Ah - because you moved more than one sim across.

For every personal SIM you port over to IQ Mobile we will increase the amount of time you can spend abroad on your travel SIM by an additional 15 days.

For example, your IQ Go travel SIM at present can do 90 days in a 12-month period. If you and a partner bring a personal mobile, then that would increase to 120 days in a 12-month period.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
RWG do have a 200Gb including EU at 200Gb but it is 60.00 per month, I think IQ mobile will do us for the time being when in EU.
Not sure they do now, they dropped roaming to 20Gb a couple of months ago. Currently trying to move my number off their network but STAC and PAC codes not working a customer support is pants.

Upvote 0

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Not so. A UK SIM works fine for getting BBC iPlayer etc. when roaming in Europe. We've never had a problem with Lebara, O2, Vodafone, and many others. No need for a VPN with a UK SIM. The only issue is the roaming restrictions and fair use policies which limits the amount of roaming data you can use.
same with us. Use UK SIM's and iplayer works no issues. Don't use a VPN.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Yes that's what I said so may be worth you doing same.
I don't need anymore than 90 days at the moment. Want to keep my main sim still active. It's very cheap (£5 per month) as I use very little data when not away.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
Using Tesco mobile sim in WiFi router for last month in France. Good coverage, unlimited data and no issues with iplayer etc. £30 month and cancel when you don’t want it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Using Tesco mobile sim in WiFi router for last month in France. Good coverage, unlimited data and no issues with iplayer etc. £30 month and cancel when you don’t want it.

Unlimited in EU? Anyway not fitting my criteria of cheap. £10 per month is my ball park.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've using Lebara cheap sims, 2 x 90p plus 1 x 99p per month (discounted for 5 months), each giving 15gb roaming. They have a 60 days in 120 roaming usage but that suit us fine as we don't do more than 2 months abroad and this time only have 30 days anyway.

Upvote 0

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Unlimited in EU? Anyway not fitting my criteria of cheap. £10 per month is my ball park.
Think that you can get Tesco unlimited for £20 now if you also have a club card.

I pay £22.50 from last year and there’s been a better deal in since.

Upvote 0
Sep 30, 2021
South West, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
2yrs in & over 20% of nights 'out'
Upvote 0
Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2019
Teesside
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2016

I am trying IQ GO right now in Germany, worked well in NL but got nothing in Luxembourg, speed is showing at 65mbs (up/down) which is slower than I had last year using my EE Roaming on my phone and a lot slower than the EE UK data sim I used to have. If it will do what you want then its fine otherwise. And the 65mbs is with it fitted to a Hauwei 5577 with roof antenna. I will probably go back to my EE contract on roaming, I get 50gb / billing month in the EU and I will have the use of the phone which I am doing without right now. Good luck

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back