Data roaming charges in excess of "fair usage" anyone been charged? (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC t789
Exp
On 4th van so not a total newbie....
We are currently in Spain and using a combination of sims with either 25 or 30 gb fair usage limits, but although the providers show how much data you have used in total they do not show roaming use, so wonder if the "fair usage" limits were just there to deter use? Surely if there is no way of knowing usage, they can't then charge you?

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
We are currently in Spain and using a combination of sims with either 25 or 30 gb fair usage limits, but although the providers show how much data you have used in total they do not show roaming use, so wonder if the "fair usage" limits were just there to deter use? Surely if there is no way of knowing usage, they can't then charge you?
When we got back this year after 90 days. the other half on O2 had a message about most of the usage being outside the country and it was only intended for short holiday use.
Virgin then changed me over to O2 as well. We have not had a problem before with virgin. We have not been charged anything extra but not happy with them and may look to change next year.
I spoke with someone in the shop about this and he assures me that there is nothing they can do and he himself goes away and doesn't care about the messages as they can't do anything about it.
Obviously he will refute all knowledge of our conversation next year in the event of being charged

OP
OP
Wh05apk
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC t789
Exp
When we got back this year after 90 days. the other half on O2 had a message about most of the usage being outside the country and it was only intended for short holiday use.
Virgin then changed me over to O2 as well. We have not had a problem before with virgin. We have not been charged anything extra but not happy with them and may look to change next year.
I spoke with someone in the shop about this and he assures me that there is nothing they can do and he himself goes away and doesn't care about the messages as they can't do anything about it.
Obviously he will refute all knowledge of our conversation next year in the event of being charged
This is what I wondered, if it was just a deterrent and unenforceable, otherwise surely there would be loads of posts / newspaper articles of people getting bills for hundreds on their return home?

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Itā€™s gone!!šŸ˜¢
Exp
4 yearsā€¦.
When in Switzerland I used my phone to tether the TV to as most other firms data sims do not include Switzerland in their plans and Vodafone charged Ā£13.70
for an extra 2gbšŸ˜³šŸ˜³

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
This is what I wondered, if it was just a deterrent and unenforceable, otherwise surely there would be loads of posts / newspaper articles of people getting bills for hundreds on their return home?
Iā€™m going to wait till the new year and then see what happens with different companies

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
We were in Spain for 8 weeks September returning mid October I have 2 sims with idmobile one 200gb for Ā£12 and 30gb for Ā£8 we watched film's, F1, motogp so I think we had plenty of data but I don't know their cut of point but Tesco just cut us of without any notice a couple of years ago never again

OP
OP
Wh05apk
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC t789
Exp
We were in Spain for 8 weeks September returning mid October I have 2 sims with idmobile one 200gb for Ā£12 and 30gb for Ā£8 we watched film's, F1, motogp so I think we had plenty of data but I don't know their cut of point but Tesco just cut us of without any notice a couple of years ago never again
Id are 30gb, did you get charged?

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I spent 2 1/2 months in France/Spain last year using around 500gb a month on a Tesco unlimited sim, I had no issues but I do use it in the UK as well.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Weā€™ve both had text messages from O2 telling us they will cut data and texts off after 62 days abroad. Weā€™re used to it with Virgin keep turning the sim off for the past three years. Total bunch of shites. We then switch over to ā€œLobsterā€ an English run Spanish sim.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Iā€™ve now used 46gb this month and not had a message about fair usage.
IMG_6779.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wh05apk
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC t789
Exp
I'm on ID cut off at 30GB last night, I was in the middle of watching F1.
I had set my cap to Ā£0, wonder if that made a difference.
Possibly maybe bigtree will be hit with a charge, hopefully notšŸ¤ž

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
Most providers will have a spending 'cap' that you can specify.

But doesn't fix the problem of knowing what is going on with your data!

Sep 28, 2019
Newbury, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Pamplona
Exp
Since 2018
With SMARTY internet access from our mifi stopped when we hit the 12gb fair use limit in France this summer. They sent me an email offering additional 30gb for Ā£15 (I think) to use anywhere. When our new charging period began we automatically got another 12gb fair use, and once that was used it automatically switched to use the remainder of the additional 30gb we bought. You can buy additional use anywhere data at any time. Not the cheapest but sooooo convenient and not outrageous for what we use it for.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I got a roaming bill from 3 a couple of years ago, argued that I hadnā€™t used what they said and the best I could get was a reduction of 50%, that and the daily charge is when I left three.

Nov 2, 2022
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Eliseo C602
Exp
Since 2016
Got hit with this from Lebara this month. We don't watch TV in the van so only have a 30GB monthly package. They did start charging bang on 15 days after sending this text.

"Hello, your roaming usage exceeds fair usage policies because you are using your phone more in roaming than you do at home in the UK. As per EU regulation, an additional surcharge of 0.20p/MB for data, 0.01p/sec for incoming calls, 0.04p/sec for outgoing calls and 0.8p per SMS will start to apply after 15 days of this notification. To avoid this extra cost, please use your phone more within the UK than you do in the EU. To continue using the service in roaming with this additional surcharge, you will require top up credit. To get additional top up, visit https://mobile.lebara.com/gb/en/topup. For more details on roaming visit https://mobile.lebara.com/gb/en/rates"

I am now thinking of going with an IQ Go package for our next trip, using an old phone as a hot spot initially to test it out.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Hi, you might want to edit that post if the number shown is yours ??
Mike.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Maybe you have used more abroad than at home, Iā€™ve been using id instead of my home broadband.
At home I only use about 2GB a month perhaps next time I'll do a load of streaming at home before going.

My wife's 15GB Virgin on 02 for some strange reason rolled over to 35GB and she was able to use the lot roaming.

Nov 2, 2022
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Eliseo C602
Exp
Since 2016
At home I only use about 2GB a month perhaps next time I'll do a load of streaming at home before going.
That's the problem I have. You need to ensure your roaming usage is not higher than your normal usage pattern. Otherwise the EU Fair Usage clause kicks in.

It's not the service providers, it's an EU Regulation. :censored:

Nov 2, 2022
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Eliseo C602
Exp
Since 2016
To quote Lebara terms again:

"To safeguard against abuse, If your roaming usage is greater than usage in the UK over any continuous 120 day period, you will be subject to a surcharge......."

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back