Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
Crispy ... maybe for a few minutes when they first come out of the oven ... :giggle: The ingredients may be dictated by French law but it must create a lot of wastage.

We find that wrapping them in cling film keeps them from drying out so they tend to be edible for longer although we often cut them to sandwich size and warm them in our 'Happycall' pan (yes it really is called that! :giggle:) for lunch or toast them for breakfast.

View attachment 944196

I don't think my teeth would stand eating THAT much bread every day! I would prefer my teeth to last till I kick the bucket and not be 'abused' by a wooden baguette. :D
Well given the shelf life of British packed loaves I'm pretty sure you could fill your van with them and they would still be fine three months later...

Suenliam

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 14, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion CV40
Exp
20+
Bagettes may have a shelf life of hours, but good French sourdough loaves last ages and have, to my way of thinking, a taste unlike the soggy cardboard slsiced loaves bought in Britain.
I must confess our routes in France are usually determined by the location of "good" boulangeries :cool:
Sue

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
When we returned through Newhaven last March, we were asked by a MAFF official in the customs shed if we were bringing any meat or meat products back into the UK. We said we were’nt and he waived us on. Actually we had lamb chops, onion pate, plus some cooked ham in the fridge/freezer. 😳
We had that last year as well rather that have an argument just said no even though there was quite a lot in the fridge & freezer.
Obviously didn't know his job as you are allowed to bring quite a few kilos of meat back into the UK.

Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
I was being sarcastic Molly.
It seems we are so used to engineered food that we complain about good food like French bread
Yes, we are indeed, Joe and personally there is no British food that I miss on our eight months away each year except proper bacon . I have now resolved this by buying bacon curing ingredients and buying local good quality pork to make back bacon and streaky. Now my travelling foody needs are compete!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
Yes, we are indeed, Joe and personally there is no British food that I miss on our eight months away each year except proper bacon . I have now resolved this by buying bacon curing ingredients and buying local good quality pork to make back bacon and streaky. Now my travelling foody needs are compete!
You are right about the bacon .
Think I'll just follow you around EU, occasionally gas you and steal your bacon

Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
Occasionally NOZ has packs of frozen bacon, but it is,a bit random whether they have it or not, like everything they have, it depends what products other shops have destocked.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I think food & drink tastes better abroad because you're on your hols... and it's different.

As to filling your fridge going across the channel - do it.
If it's confiscated, so be it
It would only go off in your own home fridge

Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
Bagettes may have a shelf life of hours, but good French sourdough loaves last ages and have, to my way of thinking, a taste unlike the soggy cardboard slsiced loaves bought in Britain.
I must confess our routes in France are usually determined by the location of "good" boulangeries :cool:
Sue
You are right , good french boulangerie bread is very different to the supermarket offerings. A nice crunchy boule or a sourdough is a thing of beauty. Oh, and the country loaves baked with bacon lardons! Slather on the good french butter and there's breakfast!

Mick and Ruth

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
Cross several times a year via tunnel and never checked what was in fridge. I have been “searched” for illegals on French side in the fact they have opened the bathroom door and had a quick look.
We have a Labrador and always tell them we have a dog on board before they enter (she normally lies there and snores when people come in) and that seems to put them off.
We do take enough kibble she eats for the whole trip as she has a certain type not available in Europe.
We stock up on the other side as we are out normally 2-3 months at least so will be buying stuff over there anyhow.

Sep 5, 2024
In a tin box
Funster No
MH
Building a PVC
I'd echo most people's experiences.

As I'm sure we all know you're pretty much guaranteed to be stopped in a van (actually, I've never had a Motorhome but I would expect it's a similar experience?). I don't think I've ever been waved through - even in the days when the borders were open.

That said, it's always an attitude test set of questions, open up the back, have a perfunctory look, maybe ask about alcohol and tobacco and off you go.

I've never had anyone look in the fridge, but equally I don't usually have much if any meat or dairy in it when going abroad as part of going away for me is to buy the things you don't find over here. The French have incredible cheeses, the Italians do the best Charcuterie (in my opinion anyway!). The fridge will most likely be full of French cheese on the way back, but not on the way out!

The only time I've had a 'grilling' was when they used us as a training excercise for a new customs officer. She would ask a question and then walk back to the 'pack' of other officers, report my answers and check that they agreed with the follow up question she was going to ask and then she'd come back and ask it. This went on for a bit and then her boss obviously gave her the green light to let us through.

Even then they didn't check the fridge :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We took a couple of bricks of Asda mature cheddar with us 👌 better than any French stuff. Was just slicing the mouldy sides off it yesterday 😂 yum
Just found the Asda cheese again in the fridge! ... It's immortal! 😁 grated some up for tonight's jacket potato and it lives to fight another day. Asda mature I salute you 🫡
20240914_202509.jpg

Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
Cross several times a year via tunnel and never checked what was in fridge. I have been “searched” for illegals on French side in the fact they have opened the bathroom door and had a quick look.
We have a Labrador and always tell them we have a dog on board before they enter (she normally lies there and snores when people come in) and that seems to put them off.
We do take enough kibble she eats for the whole trip as she has a certain type not available in Europe.
We stock up on the other side as we are out normally 2-3 months at least so will be buying stuff over there anyhow.
Our previous dog was both deaf and blind. The asked us to take her out while their sniffer dog went in to check. She went mad back in van looking for the stranger!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back