Dairy and meat to France (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
But why bother? Supermarkets sell everything you are likely to want; even cheddar cheese and fresh milk.
Because I like to have stuff in so we can just get on with travelling. Hate shopping generally and certainly don't want to start my trip on foreign soil with a visit to the supermarket. Also some stuff is not easy to locate in Europe - Bacon for example.

The only time we got checked recently was when that bloke escaped Wandsworth Prison last September.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Because I like to have stuff in so we can just get on with travelling. Hate shopping generally and certainly don't want to start my trip on foreign soil with a visit to the supermarket. Also some stuff is not easy to locate in Europe - Bacon for example.

The only time we got checked recently was when that bloke escaped Wandsworth Prison last September.
Ditto and also arriving on a Sunday or Bank holiday afternoon is a bit limiting šŸ™ˆ I only carry enough for a few days but always semi skimmed milk as you canā€™t always find it easily unless you go to the big supermarkets. Canā€™t stand that UHT stuff šŸ¤®

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Don't use P and O . Though , apparently , Irish ferries did the same dirty on their staff some years ago

All ferries are the same and I doubt the tunnel offer particulary good pay and conditions packages. I always use Irish ferries as I prefer a sailing to being stuck in box underground, they have nice cheap fares and good duty free deals

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
All ferries are the same and I doubt the tunnel offer particulary good pay and conditions packages. I always use Irish ferries as I prefer a sailing to being stuck in box underground, they have nice cheap fares and good duty free deals
Don't think pay etc will be great but , fortunately , they are not all the same

Feb 16, 2020
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
18 trips to and fro in past 3 years, 10 via tunnel, 8 via DFDS or Irish Ferries.

Van inspected 4 times for illegals, but they never checked fridge contents, not that they would have found anything as we always shop the other side.

I don't understand why people risk being caught breaking the law when you can normally buy what you need the other side or you can experience the local produce instead? Surely that's part of why we go there is it not? šŸ¤”

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
18 trips to and fro in past 3 years, 10 via tunnel, 8 via DFDS or Irish Ferries.

Van inspected 4 times for illegals, but they never checked fridge contents, not that they would have found anything as we always shop the other side.

I don't understand why people risk being caught breaking the law when you can normally buy what you need the other side or you can experience the local produce instead? Surely that's part of why we go there is it not? šŸ¤”
So do you throw the stuff in your home fridge?

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Why bother?
France has better supermarkets than the UK, and they are cheaper.

The one thing you do need to do is switch off your gas.
(Which will also switch off your fridge)

So I'd take the minimum you need before you go shopping in France.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Been across and back once this year via Le Shuttle and there was no interest in the van contents at all, UK > F did ask if the gas was off, F > UK didn't even bother to do that. Our gas is underslung anyway and the only 'switch off' is electric which they were quite happy with.

We are across again this coming Wednesday and from previous experience don't expect any questions then.

Caused some strange looks under the Channel as we brewed up, the kettle is electric fed from a 2000W inverter!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I've only ever been asked twice if my gas was off & both of them were on the tunnel.As I posted earlier I have only ever been checked entering the Uk & that for stowaways. Leaving for France nothing from anyone.
I doubt the tunnel offer particulary good pay and conditions packages.
I would have thought otherwise but having looked you are right. 35-50k plus licence only allows eurotunnel loop not europe or uk .Whereas euro star drivers are scnf, eu/uk licence holders but still don't appear to earn much more?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
France most definitely is not cheaper that the UK for food, far from it, we take everything in our home fridge that would go off or need to be thrown as well as stuff that we buy specifically such as Cheddar cheese, butter (much cheaper here), meat etc, we also take plenty of dog food as changing their diet to food only available in France can be a recipe for disaster. :eek:

We've been checked before boarding a few times since 'B' and no one has ever been bothered about food, we've never been asked but haven't hidden it either.

Apr 13, 2013
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
One
Risk it never been checked yet. Been going through since brexit and more interested about gas turned off.

Jan 17, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
France most definitely is not cheaper that the UK for food, far from it, we take everything in our home fridge that would go off or need to be thrown as well as stuff that we buy specifically such as Cheddar cheese, butter (much cheaper here), meat etc, we also take plenty of dog food as changing their diet to food only available in France can be a recipe for disaster. :eek:

We've been checked before boarding a few times since 'B' and no one has ever been bothered about food, we've never been asked but haven't hidden it either.
Nobody seems to mention that (I think) there is 7% VAT on French food sales. How do French food prices stack up against UK ones if you discount their VAT charge?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Nobody seems to mention that (I think) there is 7% VAT on French food sales. How do French food prices stack up against UK ones if you discount their VAT charge?
That's a moot point as you have no way to change the VAT rate, you just have to pay the cost for the food, take it or leave it.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
We are on Le Shuttle next week to France for our first trip since Brexitā€¦

Do they check the contents of your fridge?
They checked everywhere, except for the fridge & freezer. That was four weeks ago on Le Shuttle

Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
I've only ever been asked twice if my gas was off & both of them were on the tunnel.As I posted earlier I have only ever been checked entering the Uk & that for stowaways. Leaving for France nothing from anyone.

I would have thought otherwise but having looked you are right. 35-50k plus licence only allows eurotunnel loop not europe or uk .Whereas euro star drivers are scnf, eu/uk licence holders but still don't appear to earn much more?
Portsmouth have run a sort-of random check for years with 2 sheds holding 3 vehicles each. They run a mirror around underneath, sometimes look in the bonnet, usually look in the boot and ask several obvious questions whilst making stupid jokes. 3 weeks ago my son came over and he said they checked every single vehicle. If the loading crew are not too busy they ofter check on gas. Not surprisingly Caen often has customs with sniffer dogs searching motorhomes and vans for stowaways. Portsmouth Border Force only seem to look in commercial vans.

Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
On our last trip Newhaven Dieppe we were given a Quick Look, came in after looking in the garage, opened the bathroom door, he opened the fridge, it was loaded with, frozen meats, vac packed sausages and bacon, 4 bottles x 4 pints semi skimmed milk, yogurts, fruit and eggs, cooked meats and bread, it was chocker full
He had a Quick Look in a few cupboards. He got out and waved us on and said line 5.

Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail EKS
Exp
Since 1994
Weā€™ve just gone from Poole to Cherbourg. The nice man apologised for how slow everything was but they had to check the paperwork of one of the vehicles very carefully as he was carrying guns. Perfectly legal as he was just going hunting but it takes ages! We were searched, including the mirror underneath but not our brand new shiny fridge buzzing away powered by a lithium battery.

I just bring whatā€™s left in the fridge. I must admit I donā€™t fill it like I used to though.

We always get searched. I think itā€™s because weā€™re a PVC so relatively small and easy.
We were on the same ferry as you. We love that crossing and being able to get there the night before and sleep in the queue. It's such fun.

We weren't searched this time, but we usually are; not the fridge though. They didn't check that our gas was off, although it was.

Jan 17, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
That's a moot point as you have no way to change the VAT rate, you just have to pay the cost for the food, take it or leave it.
I simply meant to compare their price without their VAT and ours which does not attract such a tax.

Aug 27, 2024
Funster No
MH
Renault Master
Didn't check our fridge, but it was empty anyway.

However it's worth noting that the hold of a ferry is often extremely hot - a couple of hundred vehicle engines cooling down in a confined space will do that. If you have a 3 way fridge I bet it would struggle to keep stuff properly cold anyway on 12v (gas off) unless it is a short crossing....

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The van's fridge is our home fridge, we are full timers šŸ˜šŸ¤Ŗ
Soooooo ... does that mean that you dispose of all the 'illegal' produce before you cross from the UK to France? :giggle:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I simply meant to compare their price without their VAT and ours which does not attract such a tax.
All you have to do is find out the price of a similar produce in France (Lidl/Aldi UK and abroad have some identical produce) and take off their VAT amount, do the same for the UK one and you'll have your answer. It's nothing I've bothered with doing that as I can't by without VAT so its the total cost that's the thing I look for however some stuff is quite a bit more, bread loaves for example can be extortionate in France for a simple basic loaf.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp

Let's not forget food quality, variety, presentation, levels of stock etc etc in French supermarket is way above stuff in the UK. Worth paying extra for in my opinion.

Mad dog

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Fridge not checked ever, the meat & dairy rule is not a brexit ruling, it's been like it for years. We take raw dog food, which isn't easy to buy in France.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back