Credit card use in EU (1 Viewer)

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
We changed to the Rewards card when Halifax Clarity Card started charging interest even when you paid off in full each month. Barclaycard Rewards has been Martin Lewis's recommended card for use outside the UK for some time now.

I did use Barclaycard rewards card before I got the Chase card. I must admit I didn't realise about the interest free cash at the time.

Still, I rarely use ATM's abroad nowadays. Most places take card and finding an ATM that doesn't charge a fee is difficult.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
If you do online banking and have no outstanding debt on your credit card there's nothing to stop you transferring funds to your credit card the same day that you extracted the cash, thereby not having to pay interest, as far as I'm aware.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Another here for the Metro Bank Debit Card for cash abroad, and the Nationwide Credit Card for all purchases, including site fees, fuel, and the very few tolls that we choose to encounter. (y)

The exchange rates are the best on the day, from the UK financial authorities. :)

TBH, I genuinely can't be faffing around with loading up currency cards, then finding out that unmanned filling stations won't accept them, so then reverting to a recognised payment method. 😡

Been doing it that way for donkeys years, and never faltered yet. ;)

Cheers

Jock. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 31, 2023
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
Just starting out!
Nationwide.
Credit card for purchases
Debit card for cash
No commission charges and exchange rates on the day.
Oh and if a plus account for £13pm EU breakdown cover (upto 8m) and world wide travel insurance.

Absolutley crap savings rates
Ditto.
This works well for me too.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Where I live in Spain, I use ones in shopping centres.
'Cashzone '(euro6000).
ATM Cajero(ing) are 2 that I use that have no charges for withdrawing euros from either my Revolut or N26 accounts.
OH needed some cash, so because we had switched our direct debits to our starling euro account wanted to reduce the balance on our Spanish bank account. Used the machine at Carrefour, it wanted 60 cents just to show the balance. Popped in the English Santander card for a free withdrawal.
It's not just foreigners who are penalized.

Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
Are you sure? - surely all credit cards charge interest on cash advances (inc ATM withdrawals) from the day you take the advance, unlike debit cards.
That would normaly be true, but maybe they make an exception if you are withdrawing in a currency other than your own.

I understand that when credit cards first came out cash withdrawals were the same as if you bought stuff, until some people realised that if they applied for every card they could, on the first day of the credit period withdraw the maximum on every card, invested it for a month in a high interest investment, they could make quite a bit of money and still pay the full amount back by the end of the month, after that the CC companies started charging immediately for cash withdrawals

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
As others have said we use so little cash now that it lasts for ages. The bit we might need to top up wouldn't be enough to go through the hassle of getting a different credit card.

Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
I've a current card from HSBC, can load with whatever currency you want, no fees, but the ATM will charge. Used in Germany and cost 4.50 euro to withdraw any amount.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
We changed to the Rewards card when Halifax Clarity Card started charging interest even when you paid off in full each month.
I use Halifax Clarity card abroad. Set to clear full balance off the statement. I don’t get charged interest. Statement does suggest estimated interest if not paid in full.
I use Caxton at La Poste ATM in France, no usage fee. Unlike €4 at Credit Agricole.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
I use Halifax Clarity card abroad. Set to clear full balance off the statement. I don’t get charged interest. Statement does suggest estimated interest if not paid in full.
I use Caxton at La Poste ATM in France, no usage fee. Unlike €4 at Credit Agricole.
The difference is the interest charged on cash withdrawals by Halifax up to when you pay off the monthly balance. This is Martin Lewis's comment from his website.
"If you want a credit card, the Halifax Clarity Mastercard is a decent alternative to the Barclaycard above. The main difference with this card is that you're charged 23.94% to 28.94% interest on ATM withdrawals, even if repaid in full. So it's best for spending on, rather than withdrawing cash. Halifax has asked us to link only to our eligibility calculator – as it doesn't have this card available to apply for directly"

This is his advice on the Rewards card. Note that you get a small cashback which you don't get with Halifax. "Every little helps😃"

Barclaycard is our top-pick credit card as it offers interest-free withdrawals, plus gives an ongoing 0.25% cashback. You also get Section 75 protection if you buy something costing more than £100 on it, which is stronger protection than the debit cards give.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 20, 2024
Funster No
MH
Swift 694
Halifax clarity no commission Euro rate 1.165 (Friday) very close to Revolut 1.166 (today)and you get a month of interest to pay it of, plus purchase protection.

May 10, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2002
I have Santander Zero account, so no commissions anywhere in the world, but in Spain I have to generally seek out a Santander Bank if I don’t want charges. I still get the bank exchange rate on the day just have to pay for it, up to 5€ at some banks.
We too have a Santander Zero credit card which we used to withdraw cash at a Santander ATM in Spain to pay for some emergency repairs. Sure, there were no 'charges' but the exchange rate they used was appalling, far below the market rate. That left a bitter taste.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
We too have a Santander Zero credit card which we used to withdraw cash at a Santander ATM in Spain to pay for some emergency repairs. Sure, there were no 'charges' but the exchange rate they used was appalling, far below the market rate. That left a bitter taste.
For cash withdrawals you should use your zero account debit card. No charges.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back