Credit card use in EU (1 Viewer)

Mar 15, 2018
Wrexham, UK
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis LH drive
Exp
since 1979
Just been looking at the MSE weekly news letter and in it he mentions using a credit card to get money from cash machines abroad something Id always thought as taboo bur he says that Barclay card rewards credit card lets you use it at cash points and if paid in full at end of month no charge so managed to get one and am going th Spain next month to try also no bank changes and good exchange rate so will try it out

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
The problem in Spain is not necessarily being charged commission on the transaction at the ATM it’s the fact almost all charge a usage fee.

I have Santander Zero account, so no commissions anywhere in the world, but in Spain I have to generally seek out a Santander Bank if I don’t want charges. I still get the bank exchange rate on the day just have to pay for it, up to 5€ at some banks.

Never used to be as bad but has always been a problem there.

May 11, 2022
Castle Bromwich, Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Started self build December 2020, finished April 2022
Don't use cash just pay the retailer with your credit card , one of the best ones for foreign exchange is the Halifax clarity card. Cash machines nearly always charge a set fee.

Always pay in local currency, don't allow the retailer or cash point to exchange the transaction from pounds /sterling. They offer poor rates compared to Halifax.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Nationwide.
Credit card for purchases
Debit card for cash
No commission charges and exchange rates on the day.
Oh and if a plus account for £13pm EU breakdown cover (upto 8m) and world wide travel insurance.

Absolutley crap savings rates

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Last time we were in Spain, the ONLY bank that didn't charge some sort of fee at their end was UNICAJA.

Please check before committing yourself.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Suenliam

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 14, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion CV40
Exp
20+
If you get cash at an ATM anywhere with a Barclay card they charge interest from that day. It may be no commission but you still pay interest.
Sue

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Last time we were in Spain, the ONLY bank that didn't charge some sort of fee at their end was UNICAJA.

Please check before committing yourself.
Not easy to find banks that don't change local commission in Spain on ATM withdrawals, but some of the smaller banks are commission-free.

See this thread -

Thread 'Commission-free ATM's in Spain??' https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/commission-free-atms-in-spain.251071/

Commission -free ATMs-
Unicaja
Bankinter
Ibercaja
Targobank
Kutxabank

Santander (for non- Santander cards) is one of the worst for commission at €7 per transaction.

Nov 2, 2022
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Eliseo C602
Exp
Since 2016
If you get cash at an ATM anywhere with a Barclay card they charge interest from that day. It may be no commission but you still pay interest.
Sue

That is completely incorrect if you use the card Martin Lewis (MSE) recommends. Barclaycard Rewards Card.

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
That is completely incorrect if you use the card Martin Lewis (MSE) recommends. Barclaycard Rewards Card.

Are you sure? - surely all credit cards charge interest on cash advances (inc ATM withdrawals) from the day you take the advance, unlike debit cards.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Not easy to find banks that don't change local commission in Spain on ATM withdrawals, but some of the smaller banks are commission-free.

See this thread -

Thread 'Commission-free ATM's in Spain??' https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/commission-free-atms-in-spain.251071/

Commission -free ATMs-
Unicaja
Bankinter
Ibercaja
Targobank
Kutxabank

Santander (for non- Santander cards) is one of the worst for commission at €7 per transaction.

But note the date;

• Broken Link Removed
This is my list but they were all converting to charging.
Spanish free ATM,
Unicaja
Bankinter
Ibercaja
Targobank

I visited every Bank in Vera about 18mths ago and the only one (and there were many Banks) was Unicaja.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Just been looking at the MSE weekly news letter and in it he mentions using a credit card to get money from cash machines abroad something Id always thought as taboo bur he says that Barclay card rewards credit card lets you use it at cash points and if paid in full at end of month no charge so managed to get one and am going th Spain next month to try also no bank changes and good exchange rate so will try it out
Or there again, you could just open a Starling bank account and use their card which is free and converts currency at the MasterCard base rate. I use one alongside my main bank account so that if it gets nicked or cloned or whatever, there is only a limited amount of dosh that can go missing. Would highly recommend it.

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Or there again, you could just open a Starling bank account and use their card which is free and converts currency at the MasterCard base rate. I use one alongside my main bank account so that if it gets nicked or cloned or whatever, there is only a limited amount of dosh that can go missing. Would highly recommend it.

That's exactly what we do. We go away on the continent for 3 months at a time. Every week we are away we transfer an amount to our Starling cards from our main bank account. No fees for ATM withdrawals or purchases, great exchange rate. Makes budgeting easy. Takes 20 seconds of smartphone tapping to do the weekly transfers! (y)

Still got to watch out for local ATM fees though; and ATMs and card acceptors that try and bamboozle you into accepting their own rubbish conversation rates using double negatives and / or misleadingly labelled buttons, rather than Starling's excellent interbank rate.

Aug 17, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2011
Metro bank for us free use europe credit and cash card. Use it at deutsche bank for free ATM. Most others charge with this card

OP
OP
Bigjohneaton
Mar 15, 2018
Wrexham, UK
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis LH drive
Exp
since 1979
I've also got Starling ×2 Halifax but don't use credit cards abroad unless recommended by money saving expert always have take his advise as everyone is saying getting harder to get free withdrawals in Spain so when I Find one can use four cards at the same machine as also have a chase card and all let you know straight away on there apps

Jan 9, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
tribute T615
Exp
Since late 2015
With a Halifax Clarity card, I usually overpay my bill before going abroad and then use the positive account balance to fund ATM withdrawals. Of course, you do lose any interest on your current account (if you get any) but that's not likely to be much. I think this may be technically against the T&C's for the card but I've never had it queried - can you imagine a bank turning down money being paid in advance?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
With a Halifax Clarity card, I usually overpay my bill before going abroad and then use the positive account balance to fund ATM withdrawals. Of course, you do lose any interest on your current account (if you get any) but that's not likely to be much. I think this may be technically against the T&C's for the card but I've never had it queried - can you imagine a bank turning down money being paid in advance?
Didn’t think that was possible with a Clarity card.

We have tried in Spain and France atm and it won’t let you pay more than the amount on the card.
Although used card for every purchase in the last 8 weeks no problem. Also very good rate

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Didn’t think that was possible with a Clarity card.

We have tried in Spain and France atm and it won’t let you pay more than the amount on the card.
Although used card for every purchase in the last 8 weeks no problem. Also very good rate
I can confirm that once you have had a statement from Hx informing you that you owe them 'X' you can go onto your online account and pay slightly less than that demanded, again and again giving a surplus to be removed at will without interest.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Fair play. From looking at the T&C's it looks like you're right. That's very rare for credit cards. Looks like a good option. 👍
We changed to the Rewards card when Halifax Clarity Card started charging interest even when you paid off in full each month. Barclaycard Rewards has been Martin Lewis's recommended card for use outside the UK for some time now.

Aug 18, 2017
SK10
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Used our first direct debit card in Europe over the last four weeks. No transaction fees added and you get the day’s exchange rate. Believe HSBC’s new global currency account operates in the same way. Don’t preload our FairFX any more, just carry a Halifax credit card as backup for when the fd card doesn’t work.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back