"Council opens first ‘Arosfan’ overnight car park site for motorhomes" (1 Viewer)

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
As an active CAMpRA member, I had no role in persuading this Council to permit overnight parking.
But what does jar is individuals whining from the sidelines when there is success.
If you don't like the offer/price, move on.
Why don't you write to the Council politely expressing your opinion?
I'm not sure how many active members there are here on Fun, but if every one tried to persuade their local Council to embrace the use of car parks for overnight parking there might be success.
Quote Canterbury Park and Ride and Common Haugh, Hawick as successes, bringing income to the communities?
Firstly well done for putting in the effort and your time. Raising the motorhome parking issue. It is appreciated but.

It's also a matter of opinion on what is success.

For me Canterbury and Hawick are a success and to be applauded.

Arosfan on the other hand is a failure and needs to be called out for that. If CAMpRA were involved they really need to give their heads a shake in my opinion.

Writing to the council as you suggest has been done by many on here and has very little effect it is the larger organisations they listen to in reality it requires a change of government mindset forcing councils to provide this service cheap and/or free. There is a growing van life community that need this service also and £16 a night is just not acceptable.

Call it whining from the sidelines if you want. We don't have to agree with what you think is a good deal.

This is also as good as good a place as any to let people who can do something about it ie CAMpRA members who read the forum how I feel and if they are actually helping.

In the meantime I'm off to France Spain and Portugal where I can travel and park free or cheap.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
But what does jar is individuals whining from the sidelines when there is success.
If you don't like the offer/price, move on.
so an opinion that you don't agree with is "whining from the sidelines" and we should "move on"

really ?

At these prices that's what I do.. all the way to France

As an active CAMpRA member, you should encourage feedback and use it constructively... not decry it!

Oct 24, 2009
Perth, Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
"Call it whining from the sidelines if you want. We don't have to agree with what you think is a good deal."

I never said it was a good deal.

What I don't like is people who take no role in trying to improve things, whining when there is "success".

Whining on here or any other forum, achieves nothing IF YOU WANT IMPROVED FACILITIES.

Feedback here does nothing but if every member who does not like what is on offer emailed facility providers then that might, just might, lead to change

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
What I don't like is people who take no role in trying to improve things, whining when there is "success".
Opinion.

It's not a "success"

You have no idea who or what role I play and quite obviously don't like opinions. You should be encouraging feedback not criticising it.

Oct 24, 2009
Perth, Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
Opinion.

It's not a "success"

You have no idea who or what role I play and quite obviously don't like opinions. You should be encouraging feedback not criticising it.
I put "success" in inverted commas deliberately as some will see it as a "failure", as you rightly point out it is an opinion.

But my opinion is that the fact this facility has been established is a success even if some/many will be unhappy with it.

I don't have a problem with feedback, but feedback needs to be directed at someone who can make a difference and/or take it on board. Feedback on this should be directed at the Council.

There are approx 400,000 registered motorcaravans in the UK. There are 37000 CAMpRA members, many of whom are trying to improve UK facilities. If the remaining 363,000 motorcaravan owners took part in trying to improve things, wouldn't that make a difference?

One thing is sure. Sitting back doing nothing will achieve nothing. (And I'm not saying you are doing nothing, I've no idea!)

Finally many may not be aware of the role Jim (funster 1) has played in the improvement of the facilities in the UK. I am aware of approx 60 locations where he issued an exemption certificate permitting the legal, safe overnight parking of mohos. Those are in the process of being renewed by CAMpRA Rally Group who have exempted approx 40, giving approx 100 stopovers, CLs, CS, "Aires" in the UK.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
Time will tell, however, I reckon it will be a huge success and very busy. This forum represents the views of a large number of motorhomers, and it seems they wont go any where near this new facility, however, many motorhomers will have different views, those that can't stand being cheek to cheek (literally when on the loo) with the next van and will love the extra space, those that don't mind one little bit paying £16.50 a night if that is where they want to be and know they are not going to get hassled to move on, and those that are quite pleased that a section of motorhomers don't like the concept as there will be more chance of them getting an overnight spot. It adds something new to the mix which varies from wild camping to all inclusive sites and we can all make our choice. Some one has worked hard to get this facility. From the above comments there is clearly a desire for a car park style overnight stop with full facilities at around £5 a night, I just don't see it happening myself, seems motorhoming has moved in a different direction since lockdown and no signs of it going back to the 'good old days'

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Time will tell, however, I reckon it will be a huge success and very busy. This forum represents the views of a large number of motorhomers, and it seems they wont go any where near this new facility, however, many motorhomers will have different views, those that can't stand being cheek to cheek (literally when on the loo) with the next van and will love the extra space, those that don't mind one little bit paying £16.50 a night if that is where they want to be and know they are not going to get hassled to move on, and those that are quite pleased that a section of motorhomers don't like the concept as there will be more chance of them getting an overnight spot. It adds something new to the mix which varies from wild camping to all inclusive sites and we can all make our choice. Some one has worked hard to get this facility. From the above comments there is clearly a desire for a car park style overnight stop with full facilities at around £5 a night, I just don't see it happening myself, seems motorhoming has moved in a different direction since lockdown and no signs of it going back to the 'good old days'
You may be right with a lot of what you say, I am not sure it will be a huge success against the councils objectives which seems to be around reducing the number of vans wild camping and parking/sleeping in inappropriate places, yes there will be people that use it and indeed we would if it was somewhere we wanted to be, we use the "aire" in Ambleside and it is around the same price per night and we consider it good value being a couple of hundred metres into town we don't do wild camping, we do also use the Overnight facility at the Durham park and ride, it's £5.15 per night and no facilities but there is a bus on hand and security so all good, they also have a 48hr limit the same as this one being discussed and that to me is a downside but hey ho.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back