"Council opens first ‘Arosfan’ overnight car park site for motorhomes" (2 Viewers)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Also remember.. in a car park that allows overnight sleeping, because of the close proximity to other vans or cars , you are generally not allowed to cook or have a gas appliance running .. this would also apply to private car parks eg. pubs .. MSAs (Motorway Service Areas) also have that regulation.

On this particular car park, if it is complying with the1960 Caravan Act with six meter spacing, cooking should be allowed .

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Good idea . But
Money No GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Reactions: HKF
OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Also remember.. in a car park that allows overnight sleeping, because of the close proximity to other vans or cars ,
you are generally not allowed to cook or have a gas appliance running
.. this would also apply to private car parks eg. pubs .. MSAs (Motorway Service Areas) also have that regulation.

On this particular car park, if it is complying with the1960 Caravan Act with six meter spacing, cooking should be allowed .

Does this mean that you can't cook in a microwave/Remoska/Slow Cooker etc? :unsure:

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Also remember.. in a car park that allows overnight sleeping, because of the close proximity to other vans or cars , you are generally not allowed to cook or have a gas appliance running .. this would also apply to private car parks eg. pubs .. MSAs (Motorway Service Areas) also have that regulation.

Canterbury 🤷‍♂️

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Canterbury
Canterbury is not an "aire" It is a Park and Ride that allows motorhomes to park overnight ..ie a council car park

And, I did say "generally" there is no hard and fast rule , each council will determine the rules for it's car parks..

Council car parks are covered by TROs (Traffic Regulation Orders) which vary across the UK. and my forbid , overnight parking, sleeping, camping, and cooking.. some also ban smoking and vaping

This is for MSAs
Gas may not be used in your caravan or motorhome in accordance with fire regulations due to the risk from fire and/or explosion

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Has anyone checked whether the council has obtained a Caravan Site licence, from the relevant authority, i.e. themselves?

If not there cannot be any restrictions and charges, from my reading of the 1960 Act [as amended]

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020
North Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2014
I agree the costs are too much - £10pn and £1 for water would seem reasonable to me as in fairness it will have cost them a bit to set up (and I don’t think any council has spare cash!) - and they didn’t have to do it. At least it gives us a choice - you may deem it too expensive but I’m quite happy paying £16:50 especially in high season (some CL sites now charge £30 or more! 😮🤔😡 - and no, not for me) - these new aires may be basic but walking distance to nice towns rather than really extortionate costs for a holiday park (with facilities I don’t need but still pay for and still likely won’t be able to walk anywhere from the site). For us, I think a mix of visiting these new aires and a site to top up the water etc. will be ideal. I don’t think there’s a charge to dump grey and black waste so there’s somewhere for those passing by wanting waste facilities that weren’t available before ….

Also, reading the information it appears it is advising you of height barriers at some of their car parks but not the ones involved in this scheme. Oh, and FAQs says you can cook inside, not outside, no chairs, BBQs etc. Otherwise - find a proper site.

I’m all for it, applaud them for trying it and hope more councils follow suit - choice - use them or don’t bother, at least it’s a choice 😎😁

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
Llanberis is an area much frequented by the stealth camper water sports fraternity, not so much motorhome free parking.
Anyone who has been there will testify to 'insert popular van brand' being parked everywhere at night with various comings and goings, daytime wetsuit drying 🤦‍♂️
There is a decent big layby on the a4244 for motorhomers who want to stop outside the area, obviously not the people who want to walk to a pub in llanberis 🤷‍♂️
I have never found wales to be anti motorhome but then I dont want to park up on llandudno pier

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Also, reading the information it appears it is advising you of height barriers at some of their car parks but not the ones involved in this scheme. Oh, and FAQs says you can cook inside, not outside, no chairs, BBQs etc. Otherwise - find a proper site.
Seems silly to have all that space between the vans if you can't use it.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Looks like absolute hell to me and that was before I read the ridiculous price and the expectation to spend further money in the town🤣.

They obviously don't understand the majority of motorhomers.

Stick that photo on the front of any motorhoming magazine and you'll see a rapid decline in motorhome sales.

If that is what the majority of motorhomers really want then I'm glad to be in the minority.

They'd have to pay me £16.50 a night to stay there

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Looks like absolute hell to me and that was before I read the ridiculous price and the expectation to spend further money in the town🤣.
If the charges are high I'm not bothered about spending in the town. If the Aire is free or a reasonable price I will make an effort to spend some money in the town.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I’m all for it, applaud them for trying it and hope more councils follow suit - choice - use them or don’t bother, at least it’s a choice 😎😁

I would prefer it if they followed suit with Canterbury P+R - £8 for 48 hours and free facilities: black and grey waste, water, rubbish and the buses into the City.

As for the charges' the Licensing authority, in this case Gwynedd council, are required under the Caravans Sites Act (1960) to ensure that the Licensee's charges, also Gwynedd council, are 'reasonable'. I cannot see that if the charges for one site is £16.50 with facilities that the same charge for the others without facilities can both be reasonable.

Jan 21, 2014
Middle-Of-Nowhere, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Tardis-Too
Lenny HB :- With most council bylaws you are not even allowed to use your own loo, so no chance.

Nicholsong :- How could that be enforced without invasion of privacy?

smell detector patrol man

Bob says ... Oh dear ! ... In my case, that would be like a Jaws Film ..... Mr. Council Man would need a Bigger Gas Mask !! :LOL:

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Or possibly the interpretation of the regs Jon, my reading of the below text says minimum 3 metres as cars and other objects can be placed in the 6 metre gap being quoted, again my understanding is that the 6 metre gap at rallies allows people to put up awnings and have tables and chairs outside as long as the 3 metre minimum safety spacing is maintained.

CAMpRA say 3 metres.

Regardless, we ve all been parking a lot closer than that for many years now with very few incidents, Canterbury is space to open the door only.

I'm not criticising Campra here because I think they re doing a good job but the councillors are understandably wary of going against anything that smells like a regulation. And that and the belief that there has to be facilities at every location is going to limit the expansion.

Tbh the people with no facilities should accept the fact that their choices with stopovers are going to be a bit more limited in the same way that those of us who have chosen larger MH's accept that there are places we wouldnt be wise to choose.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Sometimes you have to wonder if it's a double bluff so they can say we trialled it and it didnt work....or are there people willing to pay ???

Then again do they have grief from local camp owners who were maybe consulter, about taking business from them if prices are too low.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Regardless, we ve all been parking a lot closer than that for many years now with very few incidents, Canterbury is space to open the door only.
Loads of room in the overflow part, we always park there.

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
I was in Canterbury PnR last weekend, the two Motorhome areas were maybe only 20% full. Acres of space available ..... so I parked over in the back corner. Around about midnight a van pulled up and parked maybe about 3 metres away from me....

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Loads of room in the overflow part, we always park there.
I think the point Jon is making is that there are no markings to space vans 6 metres apart, the markings allow not much more than a door opening space, yes there is loads of room ;)

Oct 24, 2009
Perth, Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
As an active CAMpRA member, I had no role in persuading this Council to permit overnight parking.
But what does jar is individuals whining from the sidelines when there is success.
If you don't like the offer/price, move on.
Why don't you write to the Council politely expressing your opinion?
I'm not sure how many active members there are here on Fun, but if every one tried to persuade their local Council to embrace the use of car parks for overnight parking there might be success.
Quote Canterbury Park and Ride and Common Haugh, Hawick as successes, bringing income to the communities?

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
As an active CAMpRA member, I had no role in persuading this Council to permit overnight parking.
But what does jar is individuals whining from the sidelines when there is success.
If you don't like the offer/price, move on.
Why don't you write to the Council politely expressing your opinion?
I'm not sure how many active members there are here on Fun, but if every one tried to persuade their local Council to embrace the use of car parks for overnight parking there might be success.
Quote Canterbury Park and Ride and Common Haugh, Hawick as successes, bringing income to the communities?

The problem there is that local people have little incentive to approach their council because when they are in the MH the last place they are likely to stop is near to home.

Furthermore approaching distant councils has the disadvantage of not being one of their tax payers.

It is Catch 22.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back