Cooking in Van what would you spec now? (1 Viewer)

Apr 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Since 2021
We have the usual oven, hob and microwave in our van and also sometimes take a small slow cooker for when we are away in the winter in the van, we also have a small low watt air fryer that we have just bought for the van, we have an air fryer that we use most of the time at home and saves the hassle of using the family oven that can take ages to heat up when there is only the two of us at home. We don't have a gas bbq though we have a small charcoal bbq for the summer months this set up works for us.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
When we ordered our current Morelo, Morelo tried hard to convince us to go “Gas Free” For us that was a step too far. I can see no benefit to running heating with diesel when diesel is twice the price of gas (obviously road diesel and not red diesel) We also felt we wanted a gas hob. No matter how much solar and lithium you have you can’t buy sun, but you can buy gas. We have a Hunerkopf slide out outdoor kitchen which has an induction hob on it. When the sun is shinning we use the outside induction and when no sun we use the inside kitchen. It makes things simple. Would I go gas free….not a chance! However, if I lived in Spain I might and I say might consider it.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Morelo tried hard to convince us to go “Gas Free” For us that was a step too far. I can see no benefit to running heating with diesel when diesel is twice the price of gas (obviously road diesel and not red diesel)
It is getting close to break even. Bear in mind that diesel has 10kWh of energy per litre but propane has only 7kWh per litre. With diesel costing £1.50/l the heating value woks out as 15p/kWh. At Morrisons’ £0.99p/l for lpg the heating value works out at 14p/kWh. If you pay anything more than £1.05p/l for lpg diesel works out cheaper.

My new van has been ordered with a Truma Combi diesel boiler.

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
When we ordered our current Morelo, Morelo tried hard to convince us to go “Gas Free” For us that was a step too far. I can see no benefit to running heating with diesel when diesel is twice the price of gas (obviously road diesel and not red diesel) We also felt we wanted a gas hob. No matter how much solar and lithium you have you can’t buy sun, but you can buy gas. We have a Hunerkopf slide out outdoor kitchen which has an induction hob on it. When the sun is shinning we use the outside induction and when no sun we use the inside kitchen. It makes things simple. Would I go gas free….not a chance! However, if I lived in Spain I might and I say might consider it.
The main I have gone ‘nil gas cook on Diesel‘ is so that I don’t waste Deisel looking for gas, especially in Scotland

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
The main I have gone ‘nil gas cook on Diesel‘ is so that I don’t waste Deisel looking for gas, especially in Scotland
I guess that is something you need to consider, but we have a 150L gas tank so fills are not that frequent so something we never have to worry about thankfully. My last fill was €0.49 a litre in Spain, so big difference to diesel prices which at the same location was €1.39 a litre.

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Our new conversion will have 3kva multi plus 920ah lithium(also wifes hair dryer) ,425w solar 2x B2B x 30amp
2 induction hobs inside, small Remoska Portable induction for outside cooking diesel heating
6kg refilable LPG just for bbq and heating water.Also portable gas hob for emergencies
We will find out how this set up works for us mid May to June in France and Italy, Needless to say we rarely eat in resturants as my wife loves cooking thus our on board set up

Feb 18, 2022
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048DF 2016
Interesting discussion.
I note that payload isn't mentioned by those with multiple large outdoor appliances.😄

We had a Hymer caravan, UK spec, which had a Thetford oven/grill (worked really well), a small microwave, 3 gas one electric rings, an external power socket and external gas point.

We used both a microwave and an oven at home for cooking. No air fryer as there isn't anything we can't do without it.

Our current Rapido 9048DF has 3 gas hobs and a completely useless Rapido-branded oven. Due to be replaced by a Thetford. We have a very cheap microwave as a temporary measure and get plenty of use out of it.
Will get an external gas point as well.

We don't have a fixed bed so no garage which precludes bulky (but attractive) BBQs and similar.
Also 3500kg so limited payload.

We have a Cadac but no gas point.
We also have a stand alone IKEA induction hob which we use on EHU.

So for us, gas hob, induction hob, microwave, oven/grill.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Interesting discussion.
I note that payload isn't mentioned by those with multiple large outdoor appliances.😄

We had a Hymer caravan, UK spec, which had a Thetford oven/grill (worked really well), a small microwave, 3 gas one electric rings, an external power socket and external gas point.

We used both a microwave and an oven at home for cooking. No air fryer as there isn't anything we can't do without it.

Our current Rapido 9048DF has 3 gas hobs and a completely useless Rapido-branded oven. Due to be replaced by a Thetford. We have a very cheap microwave as a temporary measure and get plenty of use out of it.

We don't have a fixed bed so no garage which precludes bulky (but attractive) BBQs and similar.

What no Romeska, what sort of M/H'er are you? 😱

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
Interesting discussion.

Do some reviews on the Thetford oven. I had one in my N&B Flair back in 2014. It was back at the dealership time after time. They fitted a bank of fans on the rear to keep it cool and a number of the other things. The Thermocouples were changed a number of times and in the 2.5 years of owning the van it never worked properly. Thetford offered absolutely no customer support. The stock reply was, “we are working a solution” When I sold the van the oven did work but the thermocouple on the grill had failed for the 4th time.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
I also like to cook on gas, although I do have an induction hob too. I acknowledge your comment on heating with gas v diesel, but diesel heaters are EXTREMELY frugal in their fuel consumption and generally much more efficient fuel economy wise than gas heaters. My eberspacher sips diesel and I generally don't even notice the impact on fuel economy. (I track my MPG tank top to tank top on a regular basis.) If I were heating with gas I'd be replacing my gas cylinders on a far more frequent basis than I do now. However, your tank gas will cost you far less than my cylinder gas does! So for me it's miles and miles cheaper to run my heating on diesel, but I can see why it's the other way round for you with a large tank.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
We will be in the same position shortly with diesel heating and a compressor fridge so your experience with 907 cylinders is interesting. I think the 907 is butane rather than propane, do you have any problems in cold weather? I had been thinking of a using a 5kg Flogas/BP lightweight but perhaps the 907 is an alternative.
We had one weekend in the snow where the Butane slowed down. Fortunately our gas locker opens to the inside, so we dragged the cylinder in to the gangway where it received warm air from the diesel heater, then just left the locker door open.

Not particularly safe, but needs must!

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
We will be in the same position shortly with diesel heating and a compressor fridge so your experience with 907 cylinders is interesting. I think the 907 is butane rather than propane, do you have any problems in cold weather? I had been thinking of a using a 5kg Flogas/BP lightweight but perhaps the 907 is an alternative.
They do last ages just cooking.

Sep 27, 2016
Ruislip
Funster No
MH
Bailey 745
Exp
I'm a newbiey
Love our induction hob at home, find it just as responsive as gas and soo much easier to clean. We have a lithium set up in the van plus a portable lithium, but still wouldn't trust an induction hob off grid in the winter. However battery technology is improving all the time, it probably won't be all that long before we're all confident to use them at anytime

Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat PVC
Exp
Since 1995
We have been away since 20th December all electric set up, except hot water and heating ( diesel)
Not had and issues to date with induction cooking and hot water for tea/coffee plus the washing up as it was easier than put the diesel water on.
Had electricity hook up around 10 days in total( just because it was free at point of use)

Spain and Portugal fyi.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
I'm looking at ways to increase payload, so maybe slinging out the oven isn't a bad idea. I quite like the look of those electric crock pot things - cant remember what they are called.
I feel like slinging this Thetford cooker away, came down Toll road through France oven door flew open ( we thought catch was weak !!) When we stopped the door was dropped due to top hinge coming away, never seen such a crap build , apart from we are now in a commercial Site "in Peniscola Spain" Les Das £8.20 Euro per night 5 minutes to seafront, then front came off a drawer!! 8 month year old van .

Deleted User
I feel like slinging this Thetford cooker away, came down Toll road through France oven door flew open ( we thought catch was weak !!) When we stopped the door was dropped due to top hinge coming away, never seen such a crap build , apart from we are now in a commercial Site "in Peniscola Spain" Les Das £8.20 Euro per night 5 minutes to seafront, then front came off a drawer!! 8 month year old van .
The consolation being that the local cerveja is good and plentiful :drink:

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We’re in Beni. We have electric, but don’t really need it.

We have an air fryer and a pressure cooker to cover both ‘dry’ and ‘liquid’ food.

Both work a treat on the inverter, and we haven’t missed the Cadac, Weber gas barby, Remoska or slow cooker (not to mention the hob or absolutely crap Hymer oven) one iota!

Nov 23, 2008
Funster No
3 Burner Gas hob low wattage microwave and inverter outside gas point for barbecue can do most things without a built in oven we carry a ridge monkey double skillet and one of those little plastic pressure cookers that can be used in the microwave

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
3 Burner Gas hob low wattage microwave and inverter outside gas point for barbecue can do most things without a built in oven we carry a ridge monkey double skillet and one of those little plastic pressure cookers that can be used in the microwave
Oven has now had a temporary fix with help from a friendly Dutchman, we are now at Capblanch on the border of Albir and Altea and the site is full

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Oven has now had a temporary fix with help from a friendly Dutchman, we are now at Capblanch on the border of Albir and Altea and the site is full
Nice little site. Altea Old Town worth a walk up to and if you want to give the oven a rest turn right out of the site and there’s a great rib place a couple of mins on the promenade. 😎

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Nice little site. Altea Old Town worth a walk up to and if you want to give the oven a rest turn right out of the site and there’s a great rib place a couple of mins on the promenade. 😎
Rib place gone downhill it was naff last year but loads of goods restaurants a short walk & the bay is good for paddleboarding.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Air fryer? Bake it. Boil it. Fry it. It's still just air so unlikely to taste any better. ;) How do you want your air fried or boiled? nearly as the old advert used to say on TV.
Mike.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Plan to fit at least 460ah of lithium and as much solar as I can get on the roof
Why limit yourself to the roof? Saw this on the motorway today and thought of you! 😆

IMG_20240313_191837.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back