Cooking in Van what would you spec now? (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We'd better rename our eggy creations if they aren't omelettes 🤔
Seeing as the don't meet the criteria of cheffy type ones we are obviously a bit stupid so maybe calling them gormlettes would be more appropriate? 😄

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Which is why I prefer properly cooked Yorkshire versions with a nice bit of browning on them and a bit thicker than the skimpy restaurant offerings. 😄
HaHa, l am a born and bred Yorkshireman proper Yorkshire never changed to North Humberside.l am in proper Yorkshire, you are obviously suffering from going over to the dark side. Time is great healer, l would advise turning the heat down gradually until you enjoy your Omelettes cooked correctly.
I will pray for you.😂😂😂

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I love cooking my omelettes, wife likes them folded in half with cheese/mushrooms & ham, but cooked until browned & over done IMHO no runny bits, I like mine well seasoned, med gas heat, briefly stirred with spatula for texture & depth then delicately folded from both edges, with lots of butter added to pan, done in about one minute from touching the pre heated pan.
I reckon we should all have a go at The Timed BBC Saturday Kitchen Omelette Challenge, now that would be a laugh, especially if you were made to eat your own creations. I would cheat and use a well pre heated Wok, like Ken Hom used to do, all done in 25 seconds.(y);)
Here you go for some technical info:
What are the 4 types of omelette?
Plain or French Omelet - made with just eggs, salt, and pepper, and is usually folded over itself.
Cheese Omelet - made with grated cheese as a filling.
Western or Denver Omelet - made with diced ham, onions, peppers, and cheese.
Spanish Omelet - made with potatoes, onions, and bell peppers.

Addition at No5......
Then there's the now infamous Funster Special......The Minxy Style Hull Special, whisked up cooked eggs, "Hand Finished with Blow Torch", to achieve your desired colour & adding that extra crusty bite.
Its no wonder her hubby doesn't let her loose in the kitchen that often eh?:LOL::love:

LES

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
I'm looking at ways to increase payload, so maybe slinging out the oven isn't a bad idea. I quite like the look of those electric crock pot things - cant remember what they are called.
I have just purchased a motorhome in France without an oven, seems to be the norm here, and I really miss my gas oven

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
An Oven in a Motorhome, just how British is that,🤔
Preparing and cooking like you do back home, for goodness sake...the good lady is on holiday too.🥳
One pan cooking is simple, or if doing rice or pasta, two pan...but jumartoo can do it in one.
So my spec would be....double gas ring, single Induction. Add to this something suitable for cooking outside....Afterall isn't the van hot enough inside during the summer without ovens, preparing Sunday roast.... adjust to motorhome life, motorhome cooking...try something different, be adventurous, this is leisure experience...enjoy it..🤔🥳🥳🥳🥳👍🇪🇦

Ejaydee

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2018
Penzance in (usually) sunny Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T 590
Exp
Since retiring
Preparing and cooking like you do back home, for goodness sake...the good lady is on holiday too
Whoa, that is a potentially rather sexist comment! In this house (and motorhome) it is next to never the "good lady" who is doing the cooking, it is me, the "old bloke" and I like use the oven even when we are on holiday. There are several men I know who willingly do all the cooking, while their wives, partners or 'other halves' do other things!

adjust to motorhome life,

We have.....

motorhome cooking...try something different,

Why, it is what we like....

be adventurous,

Believe me, we are....

this is leisure experience

Yes, we had noticed.....

Thank you, we do.......😁😁😁

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I wouldn't change from LPG .. 4 ring hob with grill and oven.. just like home .. and yes, I do use the oven for coking.. !

LPG is reliable, cheap, available everywhere..works in all weathers .. and kg for kg, stores a lot more energy than a battery

As the head cook, I don't need an air fryer, induction hob , microwave, or any other 240v appliance to cook a fabulous meal on my gas cooker.. don't have them at home so no need in the van.. and in fine weather I do most of the cooking outdoors on a Weber gas barbie

I don't need or want an expensive lithium battery bank, solar panels, inverter and charging system..

1kg of propane = 14.019 kWh
6kg of propane = 84.114 kWh

How big a battery and solar do you need to replace 6 kg of propane and what would the benefits be ?

Am I "behind the curve " ?

I dont think so.. what do you do when the sun don't shine and you have a flat battery.. ?

Head for a site with EHU or go for a long drive burning up diesel..

or hit the nearest McDonalds

long live LPG .. KISS

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Our fridge uses a litre a day.
At first sight, that seems a lot but even my VW has a 25ltr underslung tank so I suppose, for 2 people, that's not too bad as your tank must be far bigger than the VW?

Although saying that, I am surprised because I thought the ethos of the Aire users, was to support the local economy, eat out, buy fresh vegetables etc. so really, all you really need, is to keep things cool for a couple of days, not cold?

You are obviously storing too much wine & beer? 😄

PS. You must remember that for the first 40yrs of my Campervan life, some of which was in Australia, we had no fridges at all!
However did I/we manage? 😄

Last edited:
OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I wouldn't change from LPG .. 4 ring hob with grill and oven.. just like home .. and yes, I do use the oven for coking.. !

LPG is reliable, cheap, available everywhere..works in all weathers .. and kg for kg, stores a lot more energy than a battery

As the head cook, I don't need an air fryer, induction hob , microwave, or any other 240v appliance to cook a fabulous meal on my gas cooker.. don't have them at home so no need in the van.. and in fine weather I do most of the cooking outdoors on a Weber gas barbie

I don't need or want an expensive lithium battery bank, solar panels, inverter and charging system..

1kg of propane = 14.019 kWh
6kg of propane = 84.114 kWh

How big a battery and solar do you need to replace 6 kg of propane and what would the benefits be ?

Am I "behind the curve " ?

I dont think so.. what do you do when the sun don't shine and you have a flat battery.. ?

Head for a site with EHU or go for a long drive burning up diesel..

or hit the nearest McDonalds

long live LPG .. KISS
Let’s revisit your post in 5 years time, they can’t even get LPG for those 2 bloody Ferguson Ferries they are trying to build so supplying LPG for a few thousand vans isn’t going to be very high on their list of priorities 😈😈😈😜

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Let’s revisit your post in 5 years time, they can’t even get LPG for those 2 bloody Ferguson Ferries they are trying to build so supplying LPG for a few thousand vans isn’t going to be very high on their list of priorities 😈😈😈😜.
nonsense..

LPG has a bright future..

LPG is also used in 10s of thousands of homes for heating where there is no mains gas .. .. we use propane in th home for cooking

Future of LPG

Last edited:

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
What on earth do you do to your omelettes? Must be a Hull thing certainly doesn't sound like anything a normal person would do. :rofl:
learnt how to make an omelette from father, make it as usual, cook in the pan and when almost done stick, in pan, under a hot grill, this fluffs it i up and gives the top a bit of colour si it doesn’t look so aneamic!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Preparing and cooking like you do back home, for goodness sake...the good lady is on holiday too.🥳
The "good lady" doesn't cook, doesn't collect water or empty the grey waste or toilet.. she's on holiday

and yes I do all the cooking at home as well.. and to a high standard .. no 'ding' meals for us

eating standards are maintained.. and an oven is useful for all sorts.. even on holiday

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Let’s revisit your post in 5 years time, they can’t even get LPG for those 2 bloody Ferguson Ferries they are trying to build so supplying LPG for a few thousand vans isn’t going to be very high on their list of priorities 😈😈😈😜
Perhaps, in 5yrs time, people will have realised that this electric phase was just a way of Governments to keep the World Economy moving and will be better back to LPG which, because of it's scarcity, will be sold at a hiked up price with a bigger Tax portion?

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
Fitted Hob plus separate Induction hot plate and a 'Romeska., The new models Tria and Dua can be used on the Hob, gas or Induction or Stand-Alone electric as an oven. One pot covers all needs.We have 200Amps of Lithium and have never run out of power when using the Remoska 580 Watts, smaller unit available but we are greedy eaters.

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Perhaps, in 5yrs time, people will have realised that this electric phase was just a way of Governments to keep the World Economy moving and will be better back to LPG which, because of it's scarcity, will be sold at a hiked up price with a bigger Tax portion?
My concern with Gas has always been it creates moisture in the van, you have to go looking for it using up diesel and you cannot guarantee the ‘stockists has any in when you get there and, you are carrying a bomb around with you, like it or not the tanks can go with a bang in a crash.
With even a moderately sized battery and solar set up and diesel you can cook and heat yourself anywhere and not have to go chasing after Gas supplies.
In respect of Tax and increased costs etc. We will all get priced off the road eventually due to fossil fuel pricing/taxing but in the mean time I will try and enjoy my trips away 🥳

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Omelette, yet another foreign thing 🤢
What's wrong with Scrabbled Eggs? 😄
If you try to turn an omelette over sometimes it ends up as scrambled eggs! 😄

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
errrr, exactly what we have got now.

1 x Electric plate on top for when we have free EHU
3 x gas burners on top for main cooking
Gas Grill (OK, so does not get a lot of use, but it also does not take up much room and warms plates)
Gas Oven (Get a lot of use)

And Cadac Safari Chef 2 for outside use (In summer we do all frying outside)
Exactly our set up. Works perfect.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
My concern with Gas has always been it creates moisture in the van, you have to go looking for it using up diesel and you cannot guarantee the ‘stockists has any in when you get there and, you are carrying a bomb around with you, like it or not the tanks can go with a bang in a crash.
With even a moderately sized battery and solar set up and diesel you can cook and heat yourself anywhere and not have to go chasing after Gas supplies.
In respect of Tax and increased costs etc. We will all get priced off the road eventually due to fossil fuel pricing/taxing but in the mean time I will try and enjoy my trips away 🥳
In 30+ years of camping , motorhoming none of these points you make has been a problem ..

no matter what power source you cook with it requires ventilation.. cooking food produces moisture.. as does breathing

never had to go looking for LPG.. I carry two 6kg bottles .. as shown above each provides 84kWh ..
a typical gas ring is 1kw .. thats a lot of cooking hours .. if used for 2 hours per day, 42 days .. on just one 6kg bottle

yes ..it's a bomb... but you also have a 12gal tank of diesel.. and now a lithium battery .. but they don't go 'pop' .. do they , so we are informed..

diesel is a good way of heating.. it's what we have

the fridge is a 12vdc compressor .. 150watt panel and two FLA batteries keep it happy

each to their own, no right or wrong,..

mix and match and use whatever suits you ..

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
minxy finishing her omlettes
1708074817365.png

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
learnt how to make an omelette from father, make it as usual, cook in the pan and when almost done stick, in pan, under a hot grill, this fluffs it i up and gives the top a bit of colour si it doesn’t look so aneamic!
Nope, it's got to be runny in the middle unless it's a souffle omellete.

May 5, 2022
Kidsgrove, North Staffordshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
We have a German spec van that does not have a UK style oven but a small oven/grill combi above the fridge/freezer. It not a great deal of good as a grill but the oven just about copes. We had a microwave under the seat which we carried around for a year and only used once. We now have a single drawer air fryer which we use every day.
As has been said before we are not always on EHU so i would keep the small oven and ditch the microwave.

We have noticed in Spain that quite a lot of food comes with cooking instructions for an air fryer.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
One pan cooking is simple, or if doing rice or pasta, two pan...but jumartoo can do it in one.
So my spec would be....double gas ring, single Induction. Add to this something suitable for cooking outside....Afterall isn't the van hot enough inside during the summer without ovens, preparing Sunday roast.... adjust to motorhome life, motorhome cooking...try something different, be adventurous, this is leisure experience...enjoy it..🤔🥳🥳🥳🥳👍🇪🇦
I like cooking 😫🤧😉

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
What's this, "The good lady is on holiday too" thing, my wife never cooks and I find cooking an absolute pleasure.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I have a 3 burner hob and a fitted combi microwave where the tec-tower oven used to be. We carry a slow cooker and small air fryer. Powered by 2 x 11kg Alugas, 210Ah lithium and a lot of solar. Heating is Alde. We seem to get by.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Add to this something suitable for cooking outside..
Induction hob is ideal no flames to blow out all the heat goes to the cooking pot.

At the moment we use a single gas burner outside but hopeless when it's windy even with a small windshield. It will be getting replaced with an induction hob in the next van, not got lithium in this van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back