LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
We got the Nomad grill to scratch the same itch. It had a small learning curve after the BGE, but now we’re slow cooking and smoking like champions. I think it weighs about 11kg, and it’s portable (well, luggable), which is nice.

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
There was a short learning curve as it wasn’t exactly the same as the BGE, but now we’re loving it. We’ve hot smoked salmon, slow-roasted lamb shoulders, and reverse seared steaks. We got ours from Selfridges in the UK, not sure if there are any other importers now.

We also take along a Lotus BBQ which is the exact opposite - very small amount of charcoal and battery-operated lighting with a fan, so can even get it going for a quick bacon sarnie before a hill to walk it off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
This year I’ll be cooking Xmas lunch for 5 whilst away in my van. However we are having roast beef not turkey. It’s a small van but does have a microwave and myself, sister and friends will be eating in the Quest - all decorated with lights etc to celebrate the festive season. The beef will be in the slow cooker, roast potatoes in the Remoska with the Yorkshire puds and all the veg etc will be prepared beforehand and warmed through in the microwave. Salmon and prawn starter (no cooking) and Xmas pud and rum sauce (microwave). The hardest part will be juggling the plates to serve up in my 6mtr pvc!!
SNAP!
I shall be cooking Xmas dinner in the van but only for us two!
As you say Joint in Slow Cooker, potatoes in Remoska, I don’t have a Microwave so I’ve still that one to work out.
Same as you tho juggling all the plates, dishes etc. and a 6mtr van!

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
We have a two burner hob, and a Remoska. No bar b que. We don’t eat out, except occasionally lunch. We don’t eat any fish, and we eat little meat, certainly no steaks. We manage quite happily.
Hmmm, I had this 2 nights ago in Competa , must have been the best T bone I ever had🥰
34199197-F656-4F55-A944-32F8C4AF0CC7.jpeg

Aug 6, 2018
Dorset
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
Since 2019
Two burners, Mr D thermal cooker, Cobb BBQ and more recently a Remoska (next comes the inverter!). Mr D is great for cooking away in a cupboard whilst we travel, giving us a nice hot meal upon arrival. All works nicely for the two of us.

Oct 8, 2016
Tunbridge Wells
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
I'm a newbie
The meal looks delicious. We’ll give that a go. I don’t think you can say whether you should cook or eat out. There are sites (I’m thinking of Moulin Fort, Loire Valley where the attached restaurant offers meals at ridiculously reasonable prices. I’m talking €25 meal for two, dessert, wine & G&T’s. There are other occasions when we might spot a superb ready made Paella at a Leclerc that we grab a nice bottle of wine and have that inside the motorhome. Variety is the word I’m looking for!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Good for you: However we travel to Europe to enjoy their culinary delights and save my wife & I from cooking. We don't even carry gas. It is a holiday after all. We have never cooked a meal inside the van since getting our first motorhome in 1969. Each to their own.
We do but probably twice a week,,eating out every day for 80 or 90 days twice a year would blow our budget,,BUSBY..

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Cooking in the motorhome , or the outside kitchen, is part of the trip for us. We do sometimes buy a good quality prepared meal from a supermarket when we're in the UK. Discovered Tescos is good for a few things. Generally, though it's all fresh and cooked when we want it. Maybe make double bolognaise or chilli for tomorrow sometimes.
If the weathers bad and we're not going out I cook something that involves a lot of chopping and preparing in the cosiness of the van.
We like to go out sometimes but as we're away for two or three months it's too expensive to eat out much. Would be even worse now.

Apr 15, 2020
Devon
Funster No
MH
PILOTE 650 E
Exp
Good for you: However we travel to Europe to enjoy their culinary delights and save my wife & I from cooking. We don't even carry gas. It is a holiday after all. We have never cooked a meal inside the van since getting our first motorhome in 1969. Each to their own.
I’m not keen on cooking in the Moho too much hassle: buying ingredients, cooking then washing up. I tend to just make coffee or tea preferring to visit cafes/restaurants and enjoy the local food. I was surprised how little it cost me lunch & evening meals in 11 different countries . Austria proved the exception.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
I have always cooked in the van and used to cook a full Christmas dinner every year in the van too. I am still happy to cook every meal in the van but tend to choose tray bake meals, so meat and veg all goes in one tray. Gas rings for frying eggs and bacon though and also great to use the Remoska if on EHU(y)

minesapint

Free Member
Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
We very rarely cook in the MoHo, we cook under the awning/sunshade.
We used a Cadac and a Halogen cooker plugged into external sockets, it gives more room to cook and keeps cooking smells outside the van, which is a huge bonus.
It is a winner all round, if it is to wet to cook we find a local cafe or restaurant.
Simples

Mixyblob

Free Member
Jun 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
Amazon product ASIN B084D5HC44We are just about to dump the cadac and get one of Thea's
Bill
In my opinion there are a couple of downsides to the Cobb. Its a total PITA to clean. The non stick coating on the grill plate lasts a season, 2 at best.
In the 10 years I owned one, I must have replaced the grill plate several times.
They do however, put up a really good show, when run over by a 4.5 tonne 6 wheel Iveco.

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2025
Exp
Since 2007
In my opinion there are a couple of downsides to the Cobb. Its a total PITA to clean. The non stick coating on the grill plate lasts a season, 2 at best.
In the 10 years I owned one, I must have replaced the grill plate several times.
They do however, put up a really good show, when run over by a 4.5 tonne 6 wheel Iveco.
Never use the grill plate for actually cooking on with ours. We use the bbq accessory which is stainless steel, and joints and whole chicken go on racks. After use I put everything into a trub and clean the next day, so much easier that way.

OP
OP
MerlinUK
Sep 21, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 794
Exp
We just had a full roast dinner for New Year's Eve in the Motorhome.. I'm amazed at how easy Antonia made it look. Well outside my skill level.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
when I sold my house 15 years ago I offered the freestanding cooker to my parents as theirs was getting on and not performing well, when we got it to their house my father was so impressed at how clean it was and well looked after, it was about 15 years old, I had to explain that it was bought as when I put in the kitchen it came with a hole for a cooker which needed filling.
The cooker in the van will probably be much the same

Oct 15, 2020
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2009
Love to cook outdoors have a cobb bbq and an induction hob between them I can cook up a super meal and while you’re cooking you have the benefit of all who walk past stop for a chat. Really friendly lot us motorhomers.

claude et maude

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
Since 2018
We mix up cooking in the van and eating out but also have a OONI pizza oven which is surprisingly versatile. It’s great for roasting veg, meat and makes the most superb steaks.

A295223A-B0E6-4553-9C83-CAEE68AC5CFC.png

Suenliam

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 14, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion CV40
Exp
20+
We do eat out, but one of the reasons to get a motorhome was to not only look at food in French markets but to actually buy, cook and enjoy all the fresh food at "home". Our menus when away are probably more varied than at home. Luckily I really enjoy cooking (and eating!). With the interest in locally sourced produce and local food shops in the UK now our interest in eating "in" has expanded to short hols here in the UK.
Sue

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back