Completely Motorbikes

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
People use bikes differently.. I try and (in fact I do) use my bike all year, in winter it's trips to the shops, friends, even work once or twice. And the occasional few hours out with Aneta (she's a bike nut but likes longer trips). In summer we go camping a couple of times.

My mate only goes out on his once a year but it's for a week long trip, I went with him once and hated it, sat on a motorway in the pouring rain all the way to Germany ☹️ never again
That mirrors my year exactly, and for the same reasons. I began riding in the mid 60's when it was a pleasure but I've never in all those years of motorcycling ridden so little - around 20% of my usual miles this year. Pre Covid both sons used to commute daily on their m/bikes to the centre of Brighton purely for the time-saving and economy where they had free parking (and car parking is £25 a day), but post Covid they have been working from home so perhaps other potential commuting bikers are in the same position.
The problem with puddles on roads with standing water is that they can be water-filled potholes of unseen depth, plus oncoming cars swerving at the last minute to avoid them. The heavy rain also washes lines of treacherous gravel and debris into the road. I may be getting paranoid but so many roundabouts seem to have filling stations at them and company van drivers brim their tanks then go round the roundabout leaving a slippery trail of spilled diesel. Most of my mileage this year has been in biker-friendly France and the Picos mountains, (on my 71 year old Matchless 350), thank goodness.
Marigold at St Emilion.JPG

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Done camping on bike two up a few times and on the continent. It’s a great adventure Bob.

Spent a few years going to bike rallies, Stormin the Castle, Farmyard, Kelso etc all camping. Fantastic weekends.
Also MCN weekends at Skeggy. By that is in apartments in the Butlins resort. Unfortunately it stopped a few years ago.

Nowadays though, touring in the bike is using hotels, like yourself.

Next one will be ferry to Santander then ride a long and twisty route back to Amsterdam and get the ferry home to Newcastle. Might do that next year but the bairn reckons will have to be 2026 as he has too much on next year.

The think thing is that my bike is 5 years old but only has 9000 miles on it and I just can’t justify replacing at the moment. Not until I get bored with it, which I am not at present.
I see them all the time on sites when we have stopped in the MH.
In good weather i think that must be great, but when they arrive and it's persisting down and they have to set up camp i@@ed wet through i think, erm maybe not.
I do love the touring bit though.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
MCN used to have a great forum until it got shut down. Anything went and usually did, not like on here where one dare not say boo.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I see them all the time on sites when we have stopped in the MH.
In good weather i think that must be great, but when they arrive and it's persisting down and they have to set up camp i@@ed wet through i think, erm maybe not.
I do love the touring bit though.
That's why I like short trips, max 2 nights, if the forecast is wet we don't go 👍

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
That mirrors my year exactly, and for the same reasons. I began riding in the mid 60's when it was a pleasure but I've never in all those years of motorcycling ridden so little - around 20% of my usual miles this year. Pre Covid both sons used to commute daily on their m/bikes to the centre of Brighton purely for the time-saving and economy where they had free parking (and car parking is £25 a day), but post Covid they have been working from home so perhaps other potential commuting bikers are in the same position.
The problem with puddles on roads with standing water is that they can be water-filled potholes of unseen depth, plus oncoming cars swerving at the last minute to avoid them. The heavy rain also washes lines of treacherous gravel and debris into the road. I may be getting paranoid but so many roundabouts seem to have filling stations at them and company van drivers brim their tanks then go round the roundabout leaving a slippery trail of spilled diesel. Most of my mileage this year has been in biker-friendly France and the Picos mountains, (on my 71 year old Matchless 350), thank goodness.
View attachment 964089
Just spotted your bike Spriddler. If that's the G3LS 350cc without jam pots then it is the model I had in the 60's. I rebuilt mine from the ground up after a minor prang and refurbed it to as new condition. I still remember the number FEU 407. A lovely machine, I wish I still had it. And it's parked just outside of my favourite town from where my favourite wine comes. When I worked in France I spent many happy times there...and tasted a lot of wines ;).

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back