Coming to Cornwall. Beware! (6 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
I think they try to make money wherever they can, not just with cameras either. If you want to transit the tunnel eastbound with a wide load, they charge you £50 :oops:

I came through there a few months back, not particularly wide at 11'6", so wasn't expecting a charge. I pulled up in the laybye before the tunnel as indicated by signage and called the number. I was then told that if I wanted to go through I would have to pay £50 through my account using the toll tag or cash? I told them I didn't have an account and that I didn't have enough cash, I'll pay by card? They wouldn't accept card payments :swear:

"Well I'm stuck then aren't I, what do I do now?" I suggested they just invoice me, they would have my company details and vehicle details so I wouldnt default on payment cause they can track me. Oh no, they'd have to have authority from a senior manager for that? After a few more phone calls they eventually agreed to invoice me, took all my details and then told me I would have to wait until they closed the tunnel to other traffic, and then authorised me to go through?

I'd already been sat there 25 minutes so it thought I'd be going through any minute now.....45 minutes later I get the call to say they are now stopping the traffic and that I can go through. Must have taken me all of a couple of minutes to go through and closing the tunnel altogether was totally unnecessary as I was only 11'6" wide? I'm now £50 lighter and have lost 1¼ hours. Needless to say I never made it back to Norfolk before abnormal load movement curfew hours, so it cost me another £39 parking charge at Birchanger services and hassle for the next day.

Dartford tunnel is the same although it's only £46 and they take card and cash and don't make you wait so long so it's seems proper value for money.... robbing bar#####s the lot of them

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Every journey is an education in how cr@p drivers are so I'd need many many many lessons to be taught the whole textbook 😉
I think your judgement of drivers is coloured by the fact that you live in a county of rural roads occupied by farming types who drive trackers during the week and Audi A1 to 3 at weekend who will insist in trying to stuff them into the ditches either side of the roads whilst thinking they are rally drivers. Yours is the only county that has ambulance crews and paramedics parked up in lay-bys waiting for the Audis to go nose in the sludge!
It’s not like that in most counties and rest assured the drivers subscribing to MHF are all impeccable courteous drivers who have studied the Highway Code back to front 🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🤪

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I think your judgement of drivers is coloured by the fact that you live in a county of rural roads occupied by farming types who drive trackers during the week and Audi A1 to 3 at weekend who will insist in trying to stuff them into the ditches either side of the roads whilst thinking they are rally drivers. Yours is the only county that has ambulance crews and paramedics parked up in lay-bys waiting for the Audis to go nose in the sludge!
It’s not like that in most counties and rest assured the drivers subscribing to MHF are all impeccable courteous drivers who have studied the Highway Code back to front 🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🤪
Alas I'm a newby to the turnip fields of Lincolnshire and the predictably unpredicatable drivers are everywhere I've lived and worked. Saying that it was a Merc that took out our electrics when it went ploughing into a field a few weeks ago. There was also a Toyota hatchback in another field so not only zee German car owners have ambition beyond talent.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Oh dear did someone get out the wrong side of the bed this morning, wondering too if you were born with a driving licence stuck to your behind, a phrase used by my dad, deceased for 54 years, to describe. Folk who think they are the only decent driver on the road.
Just to qualify there are few people i like being driven by

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
According to this report the road is a "accident black spot".

It does not say that at all.

The higher than expected number of low impact collisions are between the Trerulefoot and Carkeel roundabouts. The tunnel is not on that route unless they have moved either of those roundabouts since I last went to Cornwall last year! It goes on to talk about people speeding along the diversion when the tunnel is closed.

Derek Emmit is correct from what I can see and know of the area. I would rather believe him than a local paper that takes and publishes a lot of 'news' straight from press releases without a moments thought!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
According to this report the road is a "accident black spot".

The headline, relating to the newly switched on cameras in the tunnel has NOTHING to do with the body of the article.
I repeat, for the hard of comprehension.
In 36yrs, there has never been an accident in the tunnel.

If the authority REALLY wanted to put safety as a priority, I wonder why they didn't install 'average speed' cameras, rather than static speed cams.

Last edited:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Derek Emmit is correct from what I can see and know of the area. I would rather believe him than a local paper that takes and publishes a lot of 'news' straight from press releases without a moments thought!
Yip, our roving Funter journalist community are much more accurate with their reports particularly those involving alcohol consumption! (y)

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Not sure that alcohol has played any part in tunnels, speeding or cameras, but love the thinking!

I suspect that much of the issue is that the run from up country is dual carriageway right the way through to the roundabout just before the bridge non-stop from the M5. Folks really do need to change mindset after crossing the river as the road quickly changes to hills, and a lot of single carriageway. However, from my experience many of the locals only know two throttle positions, tick-over or on the floor, and drive much faster than the visitors. Would like to see the stats for the reported accidents between locals and visitors.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I always use a tried and trusted method in the Motorhome to avoid cameras and fines, I just don’t speed.

I am on holiday, I cruise at whatever the law tells me I can.
That's ok as long as it's clear what the limit is. I drove many miles for work and know how easy it can be to miss a sign, especially in a new area when looking to find a route. I consider myself very lucky to have not got a ticket, some years I drove 40,000 miles. Mostly due to paying attention, but sometimes down to luck.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
I repeat, for the hard of comprehension.
In 36yrs, there has never been an accident in the tunnel.
Purely as a matter of interest , how do you know there has never been an accident in that tunnel?
Does that include non reported accidents?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There are various ways a vehicle can get to Cornwall.
One of them is via the A38, crossing the mighty Tamar via the bridge.

In 1988 a tunnel was opened at the Saltash end of the bridge allowing traffic to circumvent Saltash.

I'm putting the next bit in caps.

THERE HAVE BEEN NO VEHICULAR ACCIDENTS IN THAT TUNNEL FROM DAY 1. in 1988

Despite this, the Highways Authority have switched on the speed cameras that were installed some time ago but never put them in 'live' mode.

In addition to this, the dual carriageway at the far end of the tunnel has been reduced from National speed limit to 50mph.

Thus it can be categorically stated that the phrase 'Safety' cameras is a misnomer for 'Cash Cows'

After all, how can the authorities claim that the cameras are there for safety reasons when there has NOT been an accident where they have installed the cameras EVER!
My understanding is the cameras in the Tunnel only monitored speed since they were installed. No fines have ever been issued for anyone speeding.

But here's the thing, I didn't know they weren't there for enforcement and not many other driver knew either based on my experience. I use the Saltash tunnel regularly and I've never seen a vehicle driving much above 30mph, everyone slows down and drives at 30, more or less. It's exactly like the sections of road with averaging speed cameras you see where there are roadworks. They are very effective at slowing traffic.

My guess is the new cameras won't be a cash cow because few were speeding before and I don't see why behaviours will change. You'll still see folk driving with no lights but you can't get everyone driving well.

There's a 30mph section of road close to where I live and this morning while walking the dog I saw someone doing at least 60mph on it. More cameras please! :)

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
As an upstanding police officer I suspect Derek may know! 🤔

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
That's ok as long as it's clear what the limit is. I drove many miles for work and know how easy it can be to miss a sign, especially in a new area when looking to find a route. I consider myself very lucky to have not got a ticket, some years I drove 40,000 miles. Mostly due to paying attention, but sometimes down to luck.

The 'locals' have got 'brain in neutral' when it comes to driving.

For as long as I can remember (because of works within the tunnel many moons ago) there is a sign, about 50mts before the entrance to the tunnel at the bridge end.
It states, 'Use Dipped Headlights'

I wish I had a quid for every time I've followed a vehicle that does not display rear lights, meaning the headlights haven't been switched on.
A further quid would be welcome for all the non Emmit's who rely on forward driving lamps in bad weather. Bu&&er the lamps facing rearwards (or headlamps)

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
It is difficult, I have the sat nav on permanently now for that reason.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Purely as a matter of interest , how do you know there has never been an accident in that tunnel?
Does that include non reported accidents?
I take it you've looked on Google.
There are no reports on there.
YOU CAN BE ASSURED, had there been any collision which resulted in vehicles coming to a halt then ;
1. The traffic for miles around would come to a grinding halt.
2. It would make the TV News.
3. It would therefore make it onto Google.

Just the action of changing the middle lane direction causes meyhem with the queues on the Plymouth side sometimes reaching the other side of the city.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
I take it you've looked on Google.
There are no reports on there.
YOU CAN BE ASSURED, had there been any collision which resulted in vehicles coming to a halt then ;
1. The traffic for miles around would come to a grinding halt.
2. It would make the TV News.
3. It would therefore make it onto Google.

Just the action of changing the middle lane direction causes meyhem with the queues on the Plymouth side sometimes reaching the other side of the city.
No I haven't googled and don't even know the tunnel .
I only asked because you were so absolutely sure there had been no collision in the tunnel since 1988 and I just wondered how you knew for sure

Btw Google didn't kick off for at least another 10 years after the tunnel opened.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I live in East Anglia but with family in Mevagissey, St Austell and now Penzance area's must have been through the tunnel a few hundred times and have never seen an incident. Used to queue occasionally travelling Eastbound, in the very early days before the tolls were simplified, but have never seen as much as a gentle knock. I suspect Ejaydee has been through many more times than I, and has never mentioned a problem there. I'll let him post his thoughts if he wants to.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
No I haven't googled and don't even know the tunnel .
I only asked because you were so absolutely sure there had been no collision in the tunnel since 1988 and I just wondered how you knew for sure

Btw Google didn't kick off for at least another 10 years after the tunnel opened.

Agreed re google. I'll tell you what. I'll change my comment. There hasn't been an accident in this current century, but if you lived down here you would know that the tunnel, (and the bridge which now has four lanes)
only needs a breakdown and there is pandemonium.
If there was an accident in that tunnel, everyone would know about it.

Apparently, there have been cameras in there for years but have not been switched on. You can go through that tunnel as many times as you like at 30mph and you will not be overtaken. The reason being that everyone knew there were cameras in there. No one knew they weren't working.
For all I know, they aren't working now but I ain't testing them.

Last edited:

Ejaydee

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2018
Penzance in (usually) sunny Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T 590
Exp
Since retiring
I live in East Anglia but with family in Mevagissey, St Austell and now Penzance area's must have been through the tunnel a few hundred times and have never seen an incident. Used to queue occasionally travelling Eastbound, in the very early days before the tolls were simplified, but have never seen as much as a gentle knock. I suspect Ejaydee has been through many more times than I, and has never mentioned a problem there. I'll let him post his thoughts if he wants to.

I hate to think how many times I have been through the tunnel since it opened, or how much it has cost me to get into the rest of England over that time! I have never seen or heard of any bump or accident in, or approaching, the tunnel from either side. The flowing traffic tends to stay at 30 mph or less over the bridge and through the tunnel, no matter at what time I have been through there, even in the early hours when there are just a few vehicles travelling through.

Yes there have been some very bad accidents on the A38, mainly in the Glynn valley in Cornwall and on the part between Plymouth and Exeter (the Devon Expressway), both of which are several miles from the tunnel and bridge.

Given Emmit 's past employment and probable continued links with the 'boys and girls in blue', I can only agree with his view that this is an attempt at a money making enterprise and is not specifically safety related, notwithstanding that it will probably fail, because most vehicles seem to follow the rules from my experience anyway so will not be affected.

I guess only time will tell, because the Council(s) will probably be required to publish the figures for the number of vehicles flashed by the cameras and the resultant financial penalties imposed.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
A39 is closed thro Camelford, Unsafe Building in the main drag, long and torturous detour if anyone is thinking of travelling the "Atlantic Highway" into Cornwall

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back