Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
National Highways say “This section of the A38 sees a number of minor collisions as motorists try to reduce speed quickly on the approach to the tunnel and the Carkeel roundabout, and we are aware of vehicles exceeding the speed limit along the B3271 North Road diversion route when we close the tunnel.”

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
National Highways say “This section of the A38 sees a number of minor collisions as motorists try to reduce speed quickly on the approach to the tunnel and the Carkeel roundabout, and we are aware of vehicles exceeding the speed limit along the B3271 North Road diversion route when we close the tunnel.”
Unreliable source of info and with vested interests.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Not sure what vested interested there are tbh. They struggle to find funding for most schemes so have to have a pretty good argument for it to happen
I wonder have you ever driven through the tunnel from either direction? Even their own mis-information is talking about things outside the tunnel, not in it which is the point made by Derek Emmit supported by Ejaydee both of whom are locals that have used the tunnel many times, and both of whom are respected retired enforcers of law.in differing areas. I have admitted that I have probably only used it about 100 times or so over the years as a resident of East Anglia. You seem determined to push what National Highways and the questionable quality local press put out and declare that it must be correct despite the evidence from many respected Funsters that the tunnel is perfectly safe, there has never been an accident in the tunnel and that folks generally comply with the speed limit. In effect you are calling those Funsters liars.

Of of course, switching on the speed camera; has everything to do with safety and nothing to do with improving the revenue stream. Some poor sole that doesn't notice the downward slope and lets their speed rise to 35 mph that is almost certainly safe will get a ticket! Will they affect the piece of road where the accident's do happen? They would have to be pretty clever camera's to clock motorists up hill and down dale a minimum of a mile away! You might believe that councils and government departments always act with utmost honesty and in the best interests of road users, but there have been enough cases that have been proven otherwise by judicial review over the years to show that is not the case..

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yet to find a British driver I feel confident to be a passenger with although my ex traffic cop brother is bearable. British driver's are cr@p and need to be corralled into behaving. I live on a fast road and the vast majority of drivers are dangerous, bikers are just dumb and needy to have their keys confiscated 🤬
You obviously don't get abroad much. I can categorically state that British drivers are far safer than , greeks , turks, Italians French and Spanish. The Germans aren't bad though .

And that's coming from someone who generally can't be arsed with the UK. But our road systems are more sensible and our drivers are generally better, despite being harassed by police and cameras far more than any of the countries I mentioned above.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
During 'Office hours' ie. 7am to 6pm (ish)
I would be very surprised if these cameras earned any money.
Why?

It's a three lane tunnel and is usually so busy that there is no chance of having a free run through the tunnel.

This exercise is there to catch the uninitiated, when there's little traffic about.
Sort of defeats the concept of 'Safety camerav
All the so called safety cameras are there to create revenue. Always have been.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
This afternoon I drove through the tunnel after crossing the bridge.
Talk about jittery.
The drivers were like rabbits caught in the headlights.
I went through at a speedo indicated 25mph (which probably is a true 23mph.)
Not only were we all several mph under but usually, once out and into the fresh air, vehicles accelerate.
Not so today. That speed up did not materialise. The 'new' speed limit of 50mph is about 200mts up the road and no one but no one was entering that length of road at a scintilla over 30mph.

As previously forecast, the outer lane was quickly filled with vehicles turning right at the roundabout three quarters of a mile up the hill but everyone was doing. a stately 45mph.

Last edited:
Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This afternoon I drove through the tunnel after crossing the bridge.
Talk about jittery.
The drivers were like rabbits caught in the headlights.
I went through at a speedo indicated 25mph (which probably is a true 23mph.)
Not only were we all several mph under but usually, once out and into the fresh air, vehicles accelerate.
Not so today. That speed up did not materialise. The 'new' speed limit of 50mph is about 200mts up the road and no one but no one was entering that length of road at a scintilla over 30mph.

As previously forecast, the outer lane was quickly filled with vehicles turning right at the roundabout three quarters of a mile up the hill but everyone was doing. a stately 45mph.
So when coming from Cornwall towards Plymouth the 30 limit now starts well before the tunnel and not virtually at the entrance as it used to?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back