Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Thanks for the info, mines just gone over 44k I contacted the previous owner (it’s a one previous owner from new) and they’ve had ZERO things done to the clutch, gearbox or ANYTHING comfortmatic related, and it drives flawless, changes are smooth and it drives very good indeed!
I was going to go get it changed but do I really need to upset something that clearly works as it should??

It’s the usual quandary of do you feel lucky? Clearly these things, from the Fiat manual, need more servicing than they originally thought…

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
That’s the difference Jim I’ve never been anywhere near Portsmouth or Indeed ever intended to🤔🤷‍♂️

I phoned quite a few Fiat Pro places this week. press 1 for this and 2 for that. I was encouraged when I heard Adams Morey Portsmouths answer system specifically mention motorhomes, no other one did. Clearly if they are doing a lot of Auto Fiats, it's the place to go. Its a few hours from me, but it's a motorhome, we can turn any trip into an occasion.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Might look good but it’s hydroscopic! Hence why these kind of fluids need doing!
More of a problem for brake fade than CSC actuation tbh. The amount of contaminated fluid from the reservoir that will ever each the slave cylinder itself to compensate for clutch wear is tiny compared to what can reach the brake calipers in modern multi-pot setups or older large piston calipers so probably not a big problem for Comfortmatic clutch arrangement. It's still a good maintenance item just because it doesn't do any harm if done properly and gives an opportunity to check the system over for leaks and damage. LHD versions that share the fluid with the brake reservoir are no different either.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Our local Van place wont deal with anything to do with the comfortmatic, they are a good firm and have looked after all our vans. fiat charge an outrageous amount for the appropriate diagnostic, enough to put most off. Fiat professional were.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Changed the clutch fluid today. Probably last done when the previous owner had the eye watering gearbox and Comfortmatic controls replaced in 2015 at 12k miles and nearly as many £s according to the receipts in the purchase pack. The van has now done 47k and the 8 year old fluid that came out was good as new. The hydraulic fluid also looks brand new so didn't change it. Ran the bleed procedure and clutch self calibration so fingers crossed it keeps going for quite a few more miles.
Did you change it yourself ?

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Im LHD what does that mean?
I think the left hand drive vans still share the clutch fluid reservoir with the brake fluid, whereas right hand drive have the separate small reservoir attached to the hydraulic reservoir.

This is my setup on a 3.0l RHD
. IMG_20230615_111754422.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think the left hand drive vans still share the clutch fluid reservoir with the brake fluid, whereas right hand drive have the separate small reservoir attached to the hydraulic reservoir.

This is my setup on a 3.0l RHD
.View attachment 772323
Nothing like my LHD.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Did you change it yourself ?
I did yes. 1/2hr total spent removing air filter for access to attach clear bleed tube and to crack the CSC bleed screw and for topping up reservoir as it gravity drained into a clear jar. Ran enough DOT4 through until I got a bit bored of watching, about 1/4l at a guess. Replaced the air filter and fired up the laptop to run Multiecuscan clutch bleed routine and then ran the van up the road to do a self calibration enable. All worked as it should so fingers crossed for the next few thousand ks

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
More of a problem for brake fade than CSC actuation tbh. The amount of contaminated fluid from the reservoir that will ever each the slave cylinder itself to compensate for clutch wear is tiny compared to what can reach the brake calipers in modern multi-pot setups or older large piston calipers so probably not a big problem for Comfortmatic clutch arrangement. It's still a good maintenance item just because it doesn't do any harm if done properly and gives an opportunity to check the system over for leaks and damage. LHD versions that share the fluid with the brake reservoir are no different either.

Fair point!

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I did yes. 1/2hr total spent removing air filter for access to attach clear bleed tube and to crack the CSC bleed screw and for topping up reservoir as it gravity drained into a clear jar. Ran enough DOT4 through until I got a bit bored of watching, about 1/4l at a guess. Replaced the air filter and fired up the laptop to run Multiecuscan clutch bleed routine and then ran the van up the road to do a self calibration enable. All worked as it should so fingers crossed for the next few thousand ks
I dont have a comformatic and know nothing about them but when i heard all the stuff about Fiat only, i suspected Multiecscan would have the capability. info from simulate mode.
Screenshot (53).png
Screenshot (54).png

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I dont have a comformatic and know nothing about them but when i heard all the stuff about Fiat only, i suspected Multiecscan would have the capability. info from simulate mode.
View attachment 772359View attachment 772360
That's what I use although I have an earlier version where the self calibration routine requires a 300yd run up the road to determine the clutch torque transfer characteristics 👍

davidroxburgh

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 16, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I wish I was on some sort of commission for all the work the Portsmouth branch are getting. Suspect Lenny HB would like a cut too as he put me onto them.

The service manager at Portsmouth, Simon Potter, seemed to know his stuff and made it clear they didn't want any short cuts on the Comfortmatic, even to the extent that once upon a time they'd use an equivalent grade fluid but now only use the Fiat stuff just in case there was any difference. I'd expect TheBig1 issues will have reinforced training at many AM branches.

I've now done over 1000 miles since my repair and (touch a lot of fake wood as nothings real in this PVC), it's fine. As much as I can I trust it. Having done a lot of motorway including 2 hours worth of M25 stop start, I've been from Surrey to Scotland and am now starting out on the windy Wild Atlantic Way of Eire.
Hi see also my post No 52 on your main problem thread. I would like @LennyHB to take all the credit!!
I am delighted that things went well. Not only do they do good work but after 11 years and 3 vans all serviced there and ALL with Comfortmatics I trust them utterly. David

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
All this negative press about the comfortmatic wonder if it affects the saleability bet non of you on this thread would have another one I wouldn't that's for sure.
I'd have no qualms about having another one although I doubt I'll be changing my van before I can afford an all electric flying motorhome in 25years time. However, I'm now thinking of doing a manual conversion just to see what's involved.. 😂

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
All this negative press about the comfortmatic wonder if it affects the saleability bet non of you on this thread would have another one I wouldn't that's for sure.
I’m on my second, both flawless👍😁

I wouldn’t buy one coupled to a 2.3L I’m superstitious about that😁🤣🤣

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
My previous one was flawless pulling a 5.5t tag but looks like I got out at the right time 😉

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I would, we have a 2019 2.3 150bhp one and have just gone over 20k without any issues at all and we like twisty mountain roads! :giggle:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Kiss of death ☠️ Minxy 😂
It wouldn't dare misbehave ... I have a 'reputarion' for taking no nonsense from anything. >:)

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
I would, we have a 2019 2.3 150bhp one and have just gone over 20k without any issues at all and we like twisty mountain roads! :giggle:
Same here Mel.

68 plate 2.3 150bhp strapped to a comfortmatic. Ours is up to 17,000. No probs at all and the first two years we pulled a 1500kilo car/trailer rig.
My only beef is the gutlessness when you try to pull away. The 9 speed full auto sounds much better, but we're in no hurry.

Out local commercial Fiat centre is Northern Commercials. They are bloody expensive, but I don't know anyone else who would do a fluid change.

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
I ended up paying £130.
Booked in en route to tunnel 30th August - only a slight diversion adding 140 miles :X3:🤷‍♂️ but I have zero confidence with NETV. 3 branches quoted, 3 wildly different costs and 1 branch admitting they had NEVER changed clutch fluid.

I've raised the issue with Fiat customer services who are 'looking into my issue'. Issue is (apart from cost variance) how can a Professional dealer carry out the 2nd service @ 4 years and never have changed clutch fluid when it's in the service schedule?

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Thursday, had the fluid changed on my 2018 van at AM Portsmouth. a very reasonable £58 +VAT

Chatting to the guy on reception who said he is inundated with vans having to pay £3 or 4k bills for the sake of a fluid change that takes 20 minutes and less than £60. Then pointed to three motorhomes outside that he's hoping to get to this week.

I managed to chat to the fitter who did my van who told me that the fluid in my van was very dark, and obviously had never been changed. It's made darker by seal degradation apparently. I asked if he thought I'd got away with it by changing the fluid now, and he winced and said "I doubt it; see you soon":oops:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back