Claim on Credit Card section 75

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
That still doesn't really answer eddies question as the insurance company must collect more than they pay it just smooths out the expenditure. In fact it makes it even harder to square the finances as there's a cut for the insurance companies profits
It is just a premium against someone claimin g ,like all insurance.
Separate holding account? Needs more protection than mere advertising blurb.
You have to bear in mind though that the amount deposited in the escrow account to cover the fumeral/cremation is in no way anything to do with the full amount you are paying.
I wonder what happens meanwhile to anyone needing a payout?
The insurance company gets a claim made against them.
My insurance compay fueral plan here covers me for death in spain or any other country. They also have all sorts of medical cover & repatriation I believe?

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I presume these funeral plans are for people that have limited asetts??
Too much bad press over the last few years about these plans. Not for us.
CC card should reimburse
Re your first sentence. Not at all.

Sorting out this while still alive is proportionate and good sense.
After one has died, it is entirely possible that those left to perform this
task may not have access to the deceased estate and why should they
pay out from their own funds.

Not everyone on here has family to perform this onerous task.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Downsized to Bongo!
Exp
Since 2012

Agreed. When our Simon died suddenly of Covid last year he did not leave a will, so we funded everything. In addition good old AVIVA didn't pay out his life insurance policy for about eight months. We are all square now, thankfully.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
You can get a cremation only deal for less than a 1000 pounds so why bother with a plan,,500 pounds behind the bar at local pub my lot would be happy and I won't know anything about it,,BUSBY.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
You can get a cremation only deal for less than a 1000 pounds so why bother with a plan,,500 pounds behind the bar at local pub my lot would be happy and I won't know anything about it,,BUSBY.
Simply put, there is a price for today and then there is an inbuilt margin should you survive another?????? years.

With CPI @10%+ just how long would it take for todays funeral price catch up to £1500.

Working on your premise, there would have to be a whip round at the wake to actually pay for the funeral.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Agreed. When our Simon died suddenly of Covid last year he did not leave a will, so we funded everything. In addition good old AVIVA didn't pay out his life insurance policy for about eight months. We are all square now, thankfully.

We had our recently widowed son and grandaughter at our house last weekend.

Richard produced a book, beautifully created by Kathryn, our now deceased DIL.
On the front of the A4 book was an inscription, so perfectly done that you would have thought it was commercially available.

The Inscription read, "I'M DEAD. THIS IS WHAT YOU DO"

Our DIL was a dedicated 'Crafter' and, having been given the time to do so, had created the book
to assist Son No. 1 in contacting everybody required to get her affairs sorted.

You've got to admire the guts of the girl.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Simply put, there is a price for today and then there is an inbuilt margin should you survive another?????? years.

With CPI @10%+ just how long would it take for todays funeral price catch up to £1500.

Working on your premise, there would have to be a whip round at the wake to actually pay for the funeral.
If your family can't afford don't worry,,they have never left dead body's on the surface unburied or not cremated in the uk..BUSBY😀😀

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
...... the Co-op when I checked, had not even applied for the new licence?
The Co-Op was authorised and regulated by FCA as of 29 July, 2022.
Their Firm Reference Number is 962119.
They also purportedly invest the funds in a trust or individual life insurance policy with Royal London Mutual Insurance.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If your family can't afford don't worry,,they have never left dead body's on the surface unburied or not cremated in the uk..BUSBY😀😀
Believe it falls on the local Council to bury \ cremate "unclaimed" bodies with the cost being borne by the local Council Tax payers.

Likes collected
Funster No
Believe it falls on the local Council to bury \ cremate "unclaimed" bodies with the cost being borne by the local Council Tax payers.
About time the council paid for something

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I presume these funeral plans are for people that have limited asetts??
No here it is because you are usually buried within 24 hours & they either want the name of the funeral director sorting you out ,or if you do not have one ,the bill paid in advance.
You can get a cremation only deal for less than a 1000 pounds s
& that would include a huge mark up as well. 300€ for a cremation here, directly.

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
When my Dad died, my Mother and I did everything through the undertakers at the time, however my sister and I decided that when my Mother went into the care home it would be easier for us to take out a Funeral Plan for her through the same undertaker. When she moved care home a few years later from Surrey to Suffolk I changed the details with the Plan provider and there was no charge for the service. It made life a lot easier after she died because the plan took care of all the necessary payments from death to cremation. We only paid extra for the ashes to be scattered at the same crematorium in Surrey where my Dad's ashes were.
For us, it took out the pressure of having to deal with everything particularly as she died during the November lockdown.

OP
OP
L' Hobo
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Update, after a 20min wait on the telephone, I got in touch with my CC and was told that I could instigate Section 75 proceedings but, as the Funeral Company were only in administration and still fulfilling their duties, (cremations etc) it might be premature to proceed.
They said they would send me the forms etc. and it would be up to me when to proceed.

I have decided to wait a while as, according to the administrator's letter, they have had interest from other companies but had to go into administration because they could not meet the FCA's deadline.

In the meantime, I will look for other alternatives. (We have already enjoyed the cash! So, I might have to move to Spain? :LOL: )

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Downsized to Bongo!
Exp
Since 2012
No here it is because you are usually buried within 24 hours & they either want the name of the funeral director sorting you out ,or if you do not have one ,the bill paid in advance.

& that would include a huge mark up as well. 300€ for a cremation here, directly.
Crem fee here is similar. This from Croydon crem. The fes at York are double!
cremfees2.jpg

cremfees.jpg

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
The administrator contacted me to say that they were looking for other companies to take over the assets but could take up to a year..
In my mind, that is another 12months of administrators wages that is coming out of the pot so it might be better to claim section 75 and go elsewhere?
I would claim.
I was made redundant in January 2017 when the company I worked for went into administration. We were illegally laid off - ie. 37 of us with no consultation beforehand - and now, 5y 10m later I am still to see any monies owed to me by the company. And it took nearly a year for the pension payment shown as a deduction on my last pay slip to actually be paid to my pension provider. Meanwhile the administrators have taken over £1m, while continuing to say that they're not in a position to pay out any monies to the company's creditors! Not quite sure how they've managed it, but I long since gave up expecting ANYTHING at all as a creditor. Maybe one day I'll get enough to buy a couple of pints of milk. If I'm lucky...

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
The way these plans should work is that the payment less a small admin fee is paid into a ‘trust fund’ which is separate to the companies accounts and cannot be used by the company to prop their business up. This trust fund is invested and is dipped into to pay for the funeral services( cremation, doctors fees etc) as when deaths occur,

Any firm that goes bust will have their book of business transferred to another administration company and they will honour the existing funeral plans. The FCA will watch over the transfer.
All this talk of claiming off credit card company? How can you claim until you know you have lost anything? You should wait until it has been confirmed that the business book has either been transferred or you are advised by liquidators that the directors have not invested into trust as they should have done, then you can claim against the credit card company. If it is confirmed that the plans have transferred to another administrator then you have nothing to claim, just sit back and let your family claim the plan when you have snuffed it 🥴

OP
OP
L' Hobo
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
The way these plans should work is that the payment less a small admin fee is paid into a ‘trust fund’ which is separate to the companies accounts and cannot be used by the company to prop their business up. This trust fund is invested and is dipped into to pay for the funeral services( cremation, doctors fees etc) as when deaths occur,

Any firm that goes bust will have their book of business transferred to another administration company and they will honour the existing funeral plans. The FCA will watch over the transfer.
All this talk of claiming off credit card company? How can you claim until you know you have lost anything? You should wait until it has been confirmed that the business book has either been transferred or you are advised by liquidators that the directors have not invested into trust as they should have done, then you can claim against the credit card company. If it is confirmed that the plans have transferred to another administrator then you have nothing to claim, just sit back and let your family claim the plan when you have snuffed it 🥴

That is the problem as far as I can see, the funeral company, along with many others, has gone into 'Administration' and not ceased trading but not taking any new customers.
If I claim under section 75, it will cost me more as similar schemes are now more expensive and if the company gets transferred...........?

I'm lucky, I can afford to wait, many others cannot! :cry:

I wrote the above about 10.00 this morning, (but forgot to post :doh:) it's now 14.45 and I have decided to started section 75 proceeding, it will be interesting to see how I fare but, so far, everyone has been most helpful! (y)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
That is the problem as far as I can see, the funeral company, along with many others, has gone into 'Administration' and not ceased trading but not taking any new customers.
If I claim under section 75, it will cost me more as similar schemes are now more expensive and if the company gets transferred...........?

I'm lucky, I can afford to wait, many others cannot! :cry:

I wrote the above about 10.00 this morning, (but forgot to post :doh:) it's now 14.45 and I have decided to started section 75 proceeding, it will be interesting to see how I fare but, so far, everyone has been most helpful! (y)
I am not sure what your problem is, if the business has not ceased trading, it means that they can still honour any death claims on existing plans, so unless you have died, what is the problem? If they do transfer your plan to another company that new company will honour the claim. Remember your payment shoukd be ringfenced from company funds and therefore protected against the firm going bust.

I suspect that they have ceased selling new plans because of they haven’t obtained authorisation from the FCA but it will not be grounds to claim on your credit card unless they knowingly sold your plan after they were told that they are not authorised to sell by the FCA, that would against FCA rules and the directors could be disciplined.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Crem fee here is similar. This from Croydon crem. The fes at York are double!
View attachment 688037

View attachment 688039
yes that's the cost. (y)
I would claim.
I was made redundant in January 2017 when the company I worked for went into administration. We were illegally laid off - ie. 37 of us with no consultation beforehand - and now, 5y 10m later I am still to see any monies owed to me by the company. And it took nearly a year for the pension payment shown as a deduction on my last pay slip to actually be paid to my pension provider. Meanwhile the administrators have taken over £1m, while continuing to say that they're not in a position to pay out any monies to the company's creditors! Not quite sure how they've managed it, but I long since gave up expecting ANYTHING at all as a creditor. Maybe one day I'll get enough to buy a couple of pints of milk. If I'm lucky...
If they fail to pay the redundancy within a certain period it falls on the gov.uk to foot the bill & pay you the amount due under gov.uk legislation. the claim had to be made within 1 year of loss of employment. the redundancy payment should have been made on the day you were finished up.
https://www.citizensinformation.ie/...dundancy/if_employer_cant_pay_redundancy.html

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I took out a Funeral Plan earlier this year and paid £1500 by credit card.
It has just gone into administration despite frequent promises from them, in writing, that all monies would be guaranteed and put into a separate holding account.
Can I claim under section 75 now, or do I have to wait until it has completely stopped trading?

I checked the FCA website in July and the new licence that all companies had to have by Sept? and one had been applied for but now it seems that, like a lot of others, it did not reach the required standard.

Any genuine advice will be gratefully received, Thank
I believe you can make the claim under s75 now. Let the bank worry about whether it receives payment in either the administration or more likely a subsequent liquidation.
This link may be helpful.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
yes that's the cost. (y)

If they fail to pay the redundancy within a certain period it falls on the gov.uk to foot the bill & pay you the amount due under gov.uk legislation. the claim had to be made within 1 year of loss of employment. the redundancy payment should have been made on the day you were finished up.
https://www.citizensinformation.ie/...dundancy/if_employer_cant_pay_redundancy.html
Yes, the Government did pay out, and I'm VERY thankful, but it all took time (about 12 weeks if memory serves correctly) and although as I say I'm incredibly grateful it wasn't the full amount I was owed by the company. We were laid off the day before payday, and the following day were paid HALF of our monthly salaries. The remainder is still owed, with various other monies.
To be honest, I'm not so pi$$ed off about being made redundant as I am about the way it was handled, which in every possible way was terribly. On the up side, I then set up my own business, which I never would've have the courage to do if I wasn't in a 'well it can't get worse' scenario!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Harmony
Exp
Since 2021...
Well latching on to the general discussion about funeral plans, I don't know how they work, but my dad had one - the plan was prepared and paid for 5 years ago. Dad died earlier this year and the only part we had to organise and pay for was the wake. The plan included his chosen coffin, the undertakers costs, limousines, the church service and his plot at the crem. And he was very proud that he'd sorted it all out and - in his words - we had nothing to worry about he'd taken care of everything.

OP
OP
L' Hobo
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Update:

I did make a claim under section 75 and the money has been refunded with the proviso that the company could challenge it within,
I think, 45days? :unsure:

Now to try another but slightly cautious? I'll perhaps wait until after Christmas? :giggle:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

A bank can pay the expenses directly if a funeral director's bill is presented assuming there are enough funds in the account of the deceased. Banks can also pay tax bills directly including IHT.

We had our recently widowed son and grandaughter at our house last weekend.

Richard produced a book, beautifully created by Kathryn, our now deceased DIL.
On the front of the A4 book was an inscription, so perfectly done that you would have thought it was commercially available.

The Inscription read, "I'M DEAD. THIS IS WHAT YOU DO"

Our DIL was a dedicated 'Crafter' and, having been given the time to do so, had created the book
to assist Son No. 1 in contacting everybody required to get her affairs sorted.

You've got to admire the guts of the girl.
Wow. What a legacy. I am going to have to do similar (for myself and Martin) and keep it up to date. Also I need to try to do the same for my Mum, but that will be a difficult conversation.

My friend's Mum died unexpectedly and her Dad has dementia so my friend is really struggling. After 3 weeks of trying to find things out she has passed it all to a solicitor (she's the only surviving child) as looking after her Dad and her own children and then trying to sort out her Mum's chaotic paperwork got too much.

That is correct. I've been to a few "pauper" cremations when I was working in the mental health sector. Always at unsocial hours, no service and there was often just myself and sometimes another staff member who were present apart from the crem staff. The box was taken into the back door of the crematorium and onto the conveyor belt. The staff did treat all with respect but it left something to be desired.

I also went to a "pauper" burial. The gentleman was so big the crematorium could not physically accommodate him. The box was lowered with the use of a fork lift truck and a JCB used to fill the grave. Pretty distressing.

Last edited:

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I would claim.
You should have recieved a payout from the government contact the ca

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back