CL Site charging extra for car (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2025
Exp
Since 2007
On Skye I puled into a place - they charged £8 per person and £5 for hook up - I said I didn't want/need hook up. It was have the electric or leave, so we left and went to Kyleakin and stayed for free on the car park.

That's what I would and have done in the past. I have driven into sites off the cuff, asked them their price and drove out again when it's what I consider too high.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
It appears Eddie would have a set price for the caravan but charge a surcharge for the car. ;)
Tut Tut One should never make assumptions

Like many, I thought that I could make a better job of owning a campsite, but unlike many, I put my money where my mouth was and bought one!

On MY campsite we don't charge for an extra car so long as it fits on the pitch.

I was arguing though that if the "extra" charge still means that the overall cost is OK I don't give a monkeys, and certainly don't cut off my nose despite my face.

The same as all of our pitches include electricity, and are only £18 a night with a choice of gravelled or grass pitch, free WiFi and really top notch facilities.

If someone starts moaning that they don't use electric so don't need electric so won't pay for electric, our wardens try to stay awake long enough(it gets s bit boring lol) to point them to the services on the M5 a couple of miles away they can pay £27 a night without electric! So a Win Win for all concerned;)

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I would of left we pulled into a CL near Cirencester and the owner wanted to charge us £2 more because we are a big motorhome and we would use more electric his words not mine . I told him we were leaving he backed down .
We've been asked to pay extra for the car (on trailer) on one CL. When my wife objected in no uncertain terms and explained the logic behind her argument the lady site owner backed down. If she had not we would have left. It helped our case that parked opposite our intended pitch was a twin-axle caravan and Range Rover (y).

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
To date, using CL’s we haven’t been charged extra. And I object to it. You charge what you want, or what the market dictates, but there is absolutely no reason to do add ons. Just a blanket, one charge for all is all that’s required! The “that’s the site of five acres, electricity, water and waste disposal, but it’s extra for an awning, it’s so much per person, so much for the motorhome, so much per dog, cat, bird, so much per children, so much for breathing! So it’s £10 per night in the book but in reality it’s £30 per night. Well no! We go elsewhere! There is a song that fits this attitude.

So by your logic someone should be able to turn up with six kids a couple of cars, a handful of tents, four dogs and pay the same as a couple with no kids, no dogs, no towed vehicles and no tents

Well we are all different and I am happy to pay my way, if I take "extras'" from the norm, I am happy to be asked to pay for those "extras"

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Anyway A Frames are illegal, we all know that! (y) Perhaps the CL wanted "hush money" to avoid calling the filth! :whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Tut Tut One should never make assumptions

Like many, I thought that I could make a better job of owning a campsite, but unlike many, I put my money where my mouth was and bought one!

On MY campsite we don't charge for an extra car so long as it fits on the pitch.

I was arguing though that if the "extra" charge still means that the overall cost is OK I don't give a monkeys, and certainly don't cut off my nose despite my face.

The same as all of our pitches include electricity, and are only £18 a night with a choice of gravelled or grass pitch, free WiFi and really top notch facilities.

If someone starts moaning that they don't use electric so don't need electric so won't pay for electric, our wardens try to stay awake long enough to point them to the services on the M5 a couple of miles away they can pay £27 a night without electric! So a Win Win for all concerned;)
You're doing it right. My objection is to add-ons that increase the published price only once you have arrived.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
When travelling sole, i do object to paying the same as a couple, don't use as much electric and only the ladies loos used. Love dogs, not got one, but when an untethered one comes into the van and cocks it's leg it must expect to be booted out. I sometimes pay more than i think is fair to get a pitch in a certain area, town, not pitch on site. Do know that where electric is optional some people plug in at night and take it out before site owners come round in the morning. Caught out by a relative also being pitched up.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I have been charged “over the odds” because I turned up “on spec” and only wanted one night...

Only never to return... pish taking bar folk (n)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Oh dear.
I really cannot understand all the fuss about a couple of quid. I never even look at the fees when planning where to stop.
I always travel solo and stop were I want to be and enjoy it. I'm not especially wealthy but even four or five quid a night either way is irrelevant. I don't have kids, trailer, or a second car and rarely use leccy. However I do have couple of pals who are always on the search for cheap. How we laugh ;)

Last edited:

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Oh dear.
I really cannot understand all the fuss about a couple of quid.
I always travel solo and stop were I want to be and enjoy it. I'm not especially wealthy but even four or five quid a night either way is irrelevant. I don't have kids, trailer, or a second car and rarely use leccy. However I do have couple of pals who are always on the search for cheap. How we laugh ;)

It’s a principle... and yes a couple of quid is no big deal... but it gives a measure of the person running the site...

I’d not do it... in fact one CL site didn’t want to charge me for a one night park up on their field.... I gladly insisted on giving him a tenner (y) back in 2016

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As well, while every single dog owner picks up after their dog somehow despite every one picking up there is always that poo that just appears out of nowhere. Funny You don't get that on sites with no dogs
Now, there is a valid reason for both these things Jim.... "It just appears from nowhere" ..... It doesn't, it falls off the dogshit bag bushes.

"It doesn't happen on dogless sites"
That's because they don't have dogshit bag bushes.
Simple

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Lots of people dont realise that if they are difficult on a campsite complaining that the rules or fees shouldn't apply to them, as they are 'special', their name (if taken) by their regd number goes onto a secret database only accessible to CL owners and campsite staff

This is cross referenced when people phone or arrive and the price is adjusted up accordingly, helps keep out the freeloaders that want "summat for nowt" brigade

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
So by your logic someone should be able to turn up with six kids a couple of cars, a handful of tents, four dogs and pay the same as a couple with no kids, no dogs, no towed vehicles and no tents

Well we are all different and I am happy to pay my way, if I take "extras'" from the norm, I am happy to be asked to pay for those "extras"

Not at all. We have booked and PAID for both motorhome and tent when it’s been required, and only fair that we did. However, other than a bit of water my dogs cost you nothing, especially if any poop goes down the , toilet! Their have been sites where we were not allowed to walk the dogs, had to take them down the road! But, if I can book a CL at a cost of £10 per night all in in Gloucestershire, and a family with four kids can do the same, that’s great. I have no objection if (in your view) I am subsidising them. Said site has acres of land, loads of dog walking, a woodlands, little boating lake a pond, electricity, a book swap, maps, extra cables and so on. As the owner said. He’s done it as it’s the sort of site he wants to MH on. Yes he is a motorhomer. If he can do it and at a reasonable cost, so can others.

The new forest seems to have a few sites charging per vehicle, per person, per dog. We don’t go. There are plenty of other places.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
17 fun filled years
I'm sure if a camp site was free there would be some on here moaning that it's too cheap.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
... but it gives a measure of the person running the site...
I probably shouldn't say this as I'm a very non-confrontational person but I honestly can't help but assume from other posters that principles or not it seems a measure of the attitude of a surprising number of people using sites.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
I can see both sides of the argument. One size fits all pricing would be ideal, but would be too high for those wanting limited amenities and travelling light, yet doesn't cover the costs if a pitch is to be intensively used and thus the site has higher wear and tear from the heavy occupancy. What is really important is that however the price structure is set, it's easily understood and ideally apparent before you make any attempt to arrive on site.

As I travel single, I do appreciate the sites that offer a small discount for occupancy. But equally I'm tying up a pitch where perhaps the site could make more profit if they had higher occupancy numbers. So if I have to pay a full pitch price, so be it. I also expect to see those sites which offer higher levels of amenities charge more than those which are little more than a muddy track and field. But it's my choice if I am on a full amenity site if I make use of all the facilities. The site is probably working out it's average costs. I've been to some sites with a coin meter for use of showers -20p for 3 minutes. - which seems petty, but then I think that it's actually encouraging people to get in and get out so they are available for others.

Lots of people dont realise that if they are difficult on a campsite complaining that the rules or fees shouldn't apply to them, as they are 'special', their name (if taken) by their regd number goes onto a secret database only accessible to CL owners and campsite staff

This is cross referenced when people phone or arrive and the price is adjusted up accordingly, helps keep out the freeloaders that want "summat for nowt" brigade

Unfortunately, if this is in fact true, I'm fairly certain it would contravene all sorts of rules regarding the holding of personal data.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Unfortunately, if this is in fact true, I'm fairly certain it would contravene all sorts of rules regarding the holding of personal data.
When I phone my local Chinese takeaway they always greet me by name. I guess it's some sort of 'Caller i.d.' system.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
When I phone my local Chinese takeaway they always greet me by name. I guess it's some sort of 'Caller i.d.' system.
Years before everything was computerised, my local takeaway just knew my number, didn't need address or anything. Now I wonder why I'm so overweight.

But the point is that businesses are now supposed to be warning they are collecting personal data on you. The data has to be current and relevant. So a secret database should not be permissible.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Years before everything was computerised, my local takeaway just knew my number, didn't need address or anything. Now I wonder why I'm so overweight.

But the point is that businesses are now supposed to be warning they are collecting personal data on you. The data has to be current and relevant. So a secret database should not be permissible.
We only use it to know who to charge extra, so we can knock the difference off to massage their egos and principles

Or tell the really difficult ones that the site is full

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Yes, I think some while ago the large building companies fell foul of keeping a register of 'unwanted' workers and their addresses and Nat. Ins. numbers.
However, I can't see how just recording peoples' names is illegal. After all one's name is hardly confidential.

OP
OP
138go

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We only use it to know who to charge extra, so we can knock the difference off to massage their egos and principles

Or tell the really difficult ones that the site is full

I think your humour may have run it’s course.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Now I know why I really like those French sites that are hedged all round. Awkward to get in to with a caravan, but you know where your pitch is.

Anyone who has ever worked at a Warner’s gathering that is full or very near to it knows you are allocated a set unit space. It’s just about big enough for a larger motorhome and it’s toad, but when the occupier then wants their wind out awning out, and then pops up a gazebo, it takes up space allocated for another pitch.

I know Jim doesn’t want us to be the caravan club and to be flexible, but some do challenge the ‘it’s only just over’ comments. It only takes a few to throw the space available out, and you end up parking others too close to each other (well you would if the Marshall’s didn’t go to Warners and scrounge more space, and two or three always don’t arrive because of family emergencies).

If I was a private site owner I would regard anyone there as being invited according to my terms and conditions, and as long as I advertised them clearly then it would be down to the person taking up my offer to comply, or not take up my offer.

Some of the ‘rules’, like those with Warner’s, are invoked to reduce the impact of things like fire, to allow ambulances to drive through rows to pick people up (difficult when a toad is in the way when it need not be). Others on private sites are designed both to recoup the cost of operating the site, and provide a level of profit for the owner.

We can all moan as much as we want about the club sites, and super expensive private ones, but try getting in to them a lot of the time. They are full, or near to.

Clearly their marketing, pricing structures and rule based operations work, otherwise they would be empty.

Personally! I am firmly with @eddievanbitz on this one.

Must dig out my old bike helmet. Who shouted incoming?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back