Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
This reminds me of a site in France when someone's lead was about 4 inches short of the bollard and he had to move his van, eh Just smiffy :giggler:

And I swore you to secrecy Helen…😱 how dare you suggest I’m falling short…🤷🏼‍♂️ I will now have to beat you with bottles of wine/Gin next time we meet….🍷

Which incidentally has been too long, must meet up I soon..🍻

M50

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Should have stayed here they wouldn’t have known which one to unplug 🤪🤪
b5d3b1f3-1def-4615-8c7c-721c903c63d7.jpeg

Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Newbie. Motor home experience began on 1/8/2020.
Only negative thing about our day yesterday in Aix was that when we returned back to the site, we found our hook-up cable wound up next to our van. A new arrival van next to us had plugged their lead into our socket.

To say we were a bit peeved was an understatement and we had to wait two hours before the new van’s occupants returned. We confronted them and it turns out that they saw only the two 16A euro type sockets, both of which were in use. They didn’t spot under hinged white covers, two 2-pin sockets. When we pointed them out, they admitted they had the correct adaptor. Whether or not they had the correct adaptor or not or indeed if there were only two sockets, the wrong thing to do was to just unplug our lead and plug their lead in. They made no attempt to contact reception who could have told them that each bourne had 4 sockets. The wife was contrite and apologised but the husband just shrugged.

In the event our fridge, being closed, meant that everything remained frozen in the freezer and cold enough in the fridge, so no actual harm done. But definitely annoying to encounter such selfish, anti-social behaviour.

Let the tyres down

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We pulled on to an Aires in France a few weeks back, there were 8 official MH spaces and about 30 MHs in the car park.
We arrived just as some one was leaving an official spot so pulled into it.
Electric was free but all the points were taken by the none official occupants. :rolleyes: And lonnnnng leads.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
You say there was a 2-pin socket on the same bollard. Do you not carry an adapter for when there is no "standard" socket?

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
You say there was a 2-pin socket on the same bollard. Do you not carry an adapter for when there is no "standard" socket?
Yes there was a 2-pin socket and yes I have an adaptor. I didn’t use it (at first) as when we arrived, I simply plugged in the euro plug. In the end, after the confrontation, we used the 2-pin adaptor. Everyone had power. Nobody died, ruffled feathers were smoothed, necks wound in and as far as I’m concerned, the matter was over. 👍

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
If that were me I think I would make up some labels to attach to the cable with a Green Cross and 'MEDICAL EQUIPMANT ATTACHED' 'DO NOT UNPLUG'.

I know it may not have any effect with the really ignorant. I'd possibly fit a power fail alarm as well. That would let those outside know that they had caused an issue as well as letting you know there was a power failure.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If that were me I think I would make up some labels to attach to the cable with a Green Cross and 'MEDICAL EQUIPMANT ATTACHED' 'DO NOT UNPLUG'.

I know it may not have any effect with the really ignorant. I'd possibly fit a power fail alarm as well. That would let those outside know that they had caused an issue as well as letting you know there was a power failure.
It would be far better to run a strand of wire from the live pin in the plug to the outside and super glue it down.just remember the rubber gloves when plugging in/out.

Jul 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E720
Exp
Since 2020 - caravanned for 30 years before that
Well done for your calm approach. I carry a splitter and a 2-pin adapter so would probably have just used one of those two options, having had a swear to myself about the £$%^ who had unplugged me.

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Only negative thing about our day yesterday in Aix was that when we returned back to the site, we found our hook-up cable wound up next to our van. A new arrival van next to us had plugged their lead into our socket.

To say we were a bit peeved was an understatement and we had to wait two hours before the new van’s occupants returned. We confronted them and it turns out that they saw only the two 16A euro type sockets, both of which were in use. They didn’t spot under hinged white covers, two 2-pin sockets. When we pointed them out, they admitted they had the correct adaptor. Whether or not they had the correct adaptor or not or indeed if there were only two sockets, the wrong thing to do was to just unplug our lead and plug their lead in. They made no attempt to contact reception who could have told them that each bourne had 4 sockets. The wife was contrite and apologised but the husband just shrugged.

In the event our fridge, being closed, meant that everything remained frozen in the freezer and cold enough in the fridge, so no actual harm done. But definitely annoying to encounter such selfish, anti-social behaviour.
Wow that really is selfish. Glad your food hasn't been ruined. Sounds like you handled it really well.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I would have just pulled their plug and plugged mine in.
No need to worry about the fridge even if not auto changeover it will stay cold for hours.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I’ve seen people in winter have two EHU connected (on an aire with free 6 amp)
On the packed Dieppe aire in June there were 3 splitters drawing from one of the six amp bornes. With that potential load I can't see why the borne didn't trip as there's only 6 amps in total for supply to three motorhomes and two of them had at least a TV and lights on.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Should have stayed here they wouldn’t have known which one to unplug 🤪

View attachment 955735

....... a not uncommon site, especially in Germany.
And for that reason all our cables, splitters and converters have a Dymo label at both ends with our number plate on it.

So that if anyone is unplugging, or going into our splitter, they know with whom they are sharing.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
1727723343947.png

Looking at that mess close up, the ONLY legal EHU cable I can see is the Orange one top right.
And possibly the black one second down on the right.
All the others look like conventional extension cables (with 'waterproof' gaffa tape covers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back