Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
We were on a site in Ötzal Austria 🇦🇹. Been a few times.

I asked my wife to come and look at the washing up facilities. I said to her, what’s missing. She looked all over, all around, up, down. I kept it going for a while, then she got a bit angry and I told her.

There is not a single sign anywhere.

No signs to say,

Water may be hot,
Water may be wet,
Caution, slippy floor,
Please leave the drains clean

Just a nice pristine wash area. All complete with private bathrooms.

View attachment 672265
Maybe because most of their visitors apply common sense and respect for others.
Plus us British seem to be obsessed with queuing and signage😅😅😅😅😅😅

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
That an the Blame and Claim Culture we picked up from the good old US of A
I think the CMC obsession with signage started well before that I used to think they were all ex military a bit like the Sargent major out of " it ain't half hot mum" spending their time whitewashing stones and putting up signs.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If that was the case they would need to have two separate memberships and paid two separate membership fees .
I have membership , my partner also has membership but we both share the same membership number
If I booked a site and my partner tried to book a different site it wouldn’t work.
It's a number of years back but I am aware of, at least, one couple having two independent memberships (both having paid the equivalent of the £54 nowadays) with different membership numbers as opposed to a lead and second membership. They had both a caravan and a campervan and were able to book two different sites as, sometimes, they travelled independently of each other. Not sure if that's still the case with the new system but how would it be able to stop you if partners both paid as lead members?:unsure:
I’d like to know where you heard that
See above but also was told by a Warden a few years ago when talking to them about the no-show situation that they had a situation where they had a no-show and when calling the member to see if they were going to arrive late to be told something along the lines of "I don't think so as we're already pitched up on a different site. I must have forgot to cancel the booking with yourself!".
Just checked yes we have the same membership numbers
Are you two individual paid up members or lead and second member on one membership?
the online system doesn’t allow two bookings on different sites on the same date by one member
Correct and don't believe, in at least the last 10 years or so, you have been able to. Can't remember further back than that but found out on a few occasions where I've inadvertently got confused (ain't that difficult!) and tried to book the same date (normally cause I'd overlapped the "moving date".:RollEyes:

Nov 18, 2011
cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2001
It seems the cravan club has had a major shakeup and not for the better.

i have just used the new booking form on Caravan Club - with great difficulty as well.
Not only has it thrown away my outfit details and forgotton who i am ect. They now want a 25% deposit or all of it at the time of booking. This of course flies in the face of the gentleman club that they used to be where they trust you to turn up and treat you like grown ups. NO MORE it seems.
This has now placed them equal footing with " the friendly club " which of course isnt . Having just returned from south of france where we stayed at a 4 star site with 3 pools, a club, and a lake for 16 euros im more than pissed off to be told to pay 28.20 at Brean sands in October.
The - by comparison, fleecing folk for every penny for any reason make me sick of uk sites and the mentality of charging for people children and dogs to push up the profits - if europe can do a good site for 15 quid - why does a site in the uk think 30-40 quid is ok ?? no wonder we all bugger off abroad..
Ronboyracer, totally agree with you, just been to a club site on Anglesey and the wardens are well fed up with the latest changes to the booking system.

Oct 27, 2021
King's Lynn, UK
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Zefira
Exp
Since 2019
I support the new deposit booking scheme. Previously was impossible to book popular sites, selfish types would book months in advance on a just in case basis, then don’t show or cancel last minute at no cost.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Ronboyracer, totally agree with you, just been to a club site on Anglesey and the wardens are well fed up with the latest changes to the booking system.

Why would wardens be fed up with the system?

Ian

Apr 12, 2019
Midlothian
Funster No
MH
Elddis encore 250
Exp
6 years Motorhome 15 years caravaning

i have just used the new booking form on Caravan Club - with great difficulty as well.
Not only has it thrown away my outfit details and forgotton who i am ect. They now want a 25% deposit or all of it at the time of booking. This of course flies in the face of the gentleman club that they used to be where they trust you to turn up and treat you like grown ups. NO MORE it seems.
This has now placed them equal footing with " the friendly club " which of course isnt . Having just returned from south of france where we stayed at a 4 star site with 3 pools, a club, and a lake for 16 euros im more than pissed off to be told to pay 28.20 at Brean sands in October.
The - by comparison, fleecing folk for every penny for any reason make me sick of uk sites and the mentality of charging for people children and dogs to push up the profits - if europe can do a good site for 15 quid - why does a site in the uk think 30-40 quid is ok ?? no wonder we all bugger off abroad..
Out of interest what was the site in south of France you were on sounds great 👍

Apr 12, 2019
Midlothian
Funster No
MH
Elddis encore 250
Exp
6 years Motorhome 15 years caravaning

The - by comparison, fleecing folk for every penny for any reason make me sick of uk sites and the mentality of charging for people children and dogs to push up the profits - if europe can do a good site for 15 quid - why does a site in the uk think 30-40 quid is ok ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
We are
It's a number of years back but I am aware of, at least, one couple having two independent memberships (both having paid the equivalent of the £54 nowadays) with different membership numbers as opposed to a lead and second membership. They had both a caravan and a campervan and were able to book two different sites as, sometimes, they travelled independently of each other. Not sure if that's still the case with the new system but how would it be able to stop you if partners both paid as lead members?:unsure:

See above but also was told by a Warden a few years ago when talking to them about the no-show situation that they had a situation where they had a no-show and when calling the member to see if they were going to arrive late to be told something along the lines of "I don't think so as we're already pitched up on a different site. I must have forgot to cancel the booking with yourself!".

Are you two individual paid up members or lead and second member on one membership?

Correct and don't believe, in at least the last 10 years or so, you have been able to. Can't remember further back than that but found out on a few occasions where I've inadvertently got confused (ain't that difficult!) and tried to book the same date (normally cause I'd overlapped the "moving date".:RollEyes:
We are lead and second member on one membership

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I support the new deposit booking scheme. Previously was impossible to book popular sites, selfish types would book months in advance on a just in case basis, then don’t show or cancel last minute at no cost.
And your proof of this is?

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Just pitched on a CAMC site using an long standing no deposit booking. Asked the warden what she thought of the new system "long overdue " was the answer. She added that she'd had her first deposit paid no show, "his loss, our gain" was her comment. No phone call, nothing. His loss. More money than manners?

Oct 2, 2022
Ashdown Forest, Wych Cross, Forest Row, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero
Exp
I'm a newie

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
It’s a well know issue, when we were looking to join one of the clubs, we spoke to some agents on the CAMC stand at the Peterborough show (in 2018 I think), I ask them about people multi booking and not turning up, they told me the club was aware of the problem and were trying to change things.

We joined the other lot.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
There was a member on here last year who said he had all booked different sites for weeks in the summer, presumably he would then pick and choose where and when he went.
I’m all for paying when booking as it was a pain trying to get dates when I belonged to the clubs.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
There was a member on here last year who said he had all booked different sites for weeks in the summer, presumably he would then pick and choose where and when he went.
I’m all for paying when booking as it was a pain trying to get dates when I belonged to the clubs.
When our son lived in Edinburgh we always struggled to book then if we kept ringing eventually we would get a space often having to book days as they became available. I'm sure it was cancellations. What I don't know is how many nights were lost due to no shows who never bothered to cancel. I do know from years of working with the public that although the vast majority are polite trustworthy and reliable if you assume they all are your going to be dissapointed. Our problem at work was often people elegible for an NHS funded eye exam who thought as it was free if something else cropped up theyd just not turn up. In the end with repeat offenders we asked for a £30 deposit on booking if they arrived they could have a refund. A few got the hump and went elswehere but good riddance.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
When our son lived in Edinburgh we always struggled to book then if we kept ringing eventually we would get a space often having to book days as they became available. I'm sure it was cancellations.
We have been to a few sites that when I booked where nearly full but when we stayed had a fair few empty pitches☹️☹️

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
It's pure greed all ways have with caravan club
The key word there is 'club' if you're not happy with the way it's run then don't join it.
We have been to a few sites that when I booked where nearly full but when we stayed had a fair few empty pitches☹️☹️
York is like that, always booked but many don't turn up or cancel so the warden said

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
The key word there is 'club' if you're not happy with the way it's run then don't join it.

York is like that, always booked but many don't turn up or cancel so the warden said
that's why we rarely book when travelling, just call a site during the afternoon, and check availability, works for us most of the time, nearly always a no-show, if not then there is always a car park or pub nearby

Oct 18, 2021
Northampton, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 700
Exp
Some....good & bad!
Is that a club site ?
Neither clubs website's seem to have a site by that name
The area in general is awful, I stayed at Northam Farm, the site itself wasn't bad, but the area is dire.
My own opinion of course.

OP
OP
roadwarrior
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
To clarify - brean sands are the SANDS there, clue is in the name :) but it doesnt surprise me that someone has used the name, i have been going to brean sands since i was a teenager (granted not much in the last 40 years but it seems much the same now) and it grew up as a cheap place for a holiday as it was just tents and static caravans back then - there is even still a Pontins there i believe !
Motorhomes had not been invented and folk just wanted a couple of pubs and beach, and a fish and chip shop, a kind of poor mans Blackpool then with a very long beach which you can drive on even now. When i was there a couple of months ago the beach had probably 200 cars and probably 20 motorhomes and was very busy.
Its fine that you think its dire, it serves as a place for poorer folk to go there ( and others to buy their latest motohome from ) and keeps the riff raff away from Miggs, who states he is a virgin so im sure you will have many more dire places to discover

The irony about Brean sands ( the place) is that it has a 3 mile beach which you can drive onto and its a secret thing known only to the locals and people who found it. i dont know of many beaches you can drive a motorhome or car onto for 5 quid for the day.
:)

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017
Taunton, Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Starting to understand
To clarify - brean sands are the SANDS there, clue is in the name :) but it doesnt surprise me that someone has used the name, i have been going to brean sands since i was a teenager (granted not much in the last 40 years but it seems much the same now) and it grew up as a cheap place for a holiday as it was just tents and static caravans back then - there is even still a Pontins there i believe !
Motorhomes had not been invented and folk just wanted a couple of pubs and beach, and a fish and chip shop, a kind of poor mans Blackpool then with a very long beach which you can drive on even now. When i was there a couple of months ago the beach had probably 200 cars and probably 20 motorhomes and was very busy.
Its fine that you think its dire, it serves as a place for poorer folk to go there ( and others to buy their latest motohome from ) and keeps the riff raff away from Miggs, who states he is a virgin so im sure you will have many more dire places to discover

The irony about Brean sands ( the place) is that it has a 3 mile beach which you can drive onto and its a secret thing known only to the locals and people who found it. i dont know of many beaches you can drive a motorhome or car onto for 5 quid for the day.
:)
It was also a place many, many many years ago where people learnt to drive.

OP
OP
roadwarrior
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
blimey on the beach you mean ? ? wow

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back