Camper UK, Lincoln - Our Experience (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
We were out and about earlier today (Sunday 28th July) and decided to call in to Camper UK in Lincoln, since we've never been before but heard good things about them. To be honest, we very nearly turned around and drove away as the whole place looked closed. There were only 2 vehicles in the visitor car park, no sign of life, no sign anywhere saying they were open or closed and the tinted doors made it look dark shut. Just as we'd made the decision the drive away, some people came out of the door so they were obviously open. So, in we went. What a soulless place; deathly quiet, just one member of staff and no background music in such a large space. The staff member did speak to us briefly but when we said we were just looking he disappeared. We looked around at many of the MHs and never saw another soul the whole time we were in there. On top of this, the accessories shop is closed on Sundays. I don't expect an all-singing all-dancing reception, or a nightclub experience, but just some life would be nice to make people feel welcome. The atmosphere is just dead, unispiring and unwelcoming. We left, having seen only one MH that came anywhere close to the one we have now.

A sign outside saying they were open would have been good. Opening the door, to make it look like they're open would have been better! But, most of all, make it feel welcoming! Play some music, put live radio on, have some promotional videos playing.....something.......anything........but don't leave customers walking around in silence! One day, we may be looking to buy another MH but, unfortunately, Camper UK is the last place we'd look.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
While I understand your position, having spent many years working for retail companies I can immediately comment on three of you points:

1. Door open on a hot day is a no-no. Waste of air conditioning energy plus you get lots of visitors in you don't want.. birds, flies, mozzies etc. Having it open leads to as many complaints from customers about the above as having it closed.The Retailer can't win.

2. Having said you were just looking, they likely left you too it. Many customers complain about 'hovering' sales people. More than complain that they were ignored after the initial approach. The retailer can't win.

3. Put music on and you generate multiple complaints from customers who don't want music, don't like the choice of music, it's too loud, not loud enough, etc. etc. etc. so again, the retailer can't win.

In other words, whatever you do, you upset someone.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
While I understand your position, having spent many years working for retail companies I can immediately comment on three of you points:

1. Door open on a hot day is a no-no. Waste of air conditioning energy plus you get lots of visitors in you don't want.. birds, flies, mozzies etc. Having it open leads to as many complaints from customers about the above as having it closed.The Retailer can't win.

2. Having said you were just looking, they likely left you too it. Many customers complain about 'hovering' sales people. More than complain that they were ignored after the initial approach. The retailer can't win.

3. Put music on and you generate multiple complaints from customers who don't want music, don't like the choice of music, it's too loud, not loud enough, etc. etc. etc. so again, the retailer can't win.

Fair enough. It was just my experience :)

EDIT - just to say, they did have the other door open to the MHs outside in the compound, so opening the front one wouldn't have made any difference.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013

Exactly,music in any shop and we're out the door,quite capable of looking round on our own
and finding a staff member if neededšŸ‘ You can never please all of the people all of the time!

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Exactly,music in any shop and we're out the door,quite capable of looking round on our own
and finding a staff member if neededšŸ‘ You can never please all of the people all of the time!

Yeah, I don't expect many people to feel the same as me. I know I'm the oddball on here :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Well, got to say that CamperUk was the first place we went when we were thinking of buying a motorhome.
Having bought one off them 6 years ago and very pleased with the service we got then.
This time round again we went in told the salesman we were just looking and they left us alone to wander around inside and out at our leisure.
I personally prefer that approach rather than being hassled, as for the music if I want that I I would go to a pub or disco. :giggle:
Perhaps the OP caught them on a bad day, staff off ill, or holidays, as they say "You can't please all the people all the time"..........................................................................

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Well, got to say that CamperUk was the first place we went when we were thinking of buying a motorhome.
Having bought one off them 6 years ago and very pleased with the service we got then.
This time round again we went in told the salesman we were just looking and they left us alone to wander around inside and out at our leisure.
I personally prefer that approach rather than being hassled, as for the music if I want that I I would go to a pub or disco. :giggle:
Perhaps the OP caught them on a bad day, staff off ill, or holidays, as they say "You can't please all the people all the time"..........................................................................

Yeah, we're not all the same. I definitely said I didn't expect a nightclub experience.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Itā€™s gone!!šŸ˜¢
Exp
4 yearsā€¦.
Southdowns near me are now closed on Sunday and on Saturday I think it is just the 2 people keeping an eye out for them as they are not salespeople they just take notes and pass them on for when the salespeople come in Monday.

You can go down there some days and walk around without seeing anyonešŸ¤”šŸ¤”

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Fair enough. It was just my experience :)

EDIT - just to say, they did have the other door open to the MHs outside in the compound, so opening the front one wouldn't have made any difference.
I hope you don't think I was having a go at you, I was just trying to point out that they may have found themselves in a no win situation.

Mar 12, 2021
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
carthago e line 64xl
Exp
When I went in to look in my work clothes and asked to look at a camper was asked if I knew how much it was .I did but took my money elsewhere.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Been there with job interviews Bleauā€™s. Guy turned up for a senior IT job in filthy overalls. Two stage interview. HR and then me. His CV looked a good match. He came out of the HR interview, and the interviewer said I shouldn't waste my time. I went ahead with the interview to find that when he had been made redundant two months before, as per his CV, he took the first earning opportunity working in a workshop as a gap fill as had a young family. He had gone into work before coming for interview.

I saw all that as a positive. All HR were concerned about was that he wasn't wearing a suit and tie! We took him on and he stayed until that office closed a decade or so later.

Don't judge a book by it's cover. Sounds like the sales staff need to learn that lesson.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
When I went in to look in my work clothes and asked to look at a camper was asked if I knew how much it was .I did but took my money elsewhere.

Wow, really? That's not good. A sheep farming friend of mine did something similar when going to look at a new Range Rover a good few years back. He called into the dealer's in Sheffield on his way back from market. He got a similar attitude to the one you got. He went back a few days later with a briefcase stuffed with enough notes to buy a brand new Range Rover outright. He said the salesman's eyes nearly popped out of his head!!! The salesman then asked him if he'd like to take a Range Rover for a test drive. His reply? "Yes, I would like to but it won't be one of yours". He shut the briefcase and left! :)

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Play music and you need two licenses unless you are playing royalty free.
Not strictly true and it's actually a bit of a minefield.

'Royalty Free' often attracts a right to use agreement and fee (sometimes zero) payable to the holder. Those tracks can be played without a PPL-PRS licence in the UK. The music is subject to copyright but the owner is allowing its use under the given conditions. Also specifically, the composer can gift it, but you need that in writing.
'Copyright Free' means there is no copyright registered, or it has expired (70 years) and therefore it can be used freely.

PPL-PRS will often challenge if so called royalty free music is played, so be very careful. Do not assume that a web-site says it royalty free, it is? It may not be in the USA but may be licensable here. Most shops bow to the inevitable and simply pay for a licence.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yeah, I don't expect many people to feel the same as me. I know I'm the oddball on here :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Oi! That's my job! :giggle:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Trouble is that especially in the last few years there are lots of 'dreamers' who go to see MHs for a jolly day out or just to have a shuftie with no idea of how much they really cost.

We are pally with a few of the traders who do car boot sales having seen them for 10+ years and having bought lots of stuff off them and when we go in the MH sometimes they get talking to us about it and usually think it only cost around Ā£30k ... I wish!

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Not strictly true and it's actually a bit of a minefield.

'Royalty Free' often attracts a right to use agreement and fee (sometimes zero) payable to the holder. Those tracks can be played without a PPL-PRS licence in the UK. The music is subject to copyright but the owner is allowing its use under the given conditions. Also specifically, the composer can gift it, but you need that in writing.
'Copyright Free' means there is no copyright registered, or it has expired (70 years) and therefore it can be used freely.

PPL-PRS will often challenge if so called royalty free music is played, so be very careful. Do not assume that a web-site says it royalty free, it is? It may not be in the USA but may be licensable here. Most shops bow to the inevitable and simply pay for a licence.
Susan did, around Ā£500 a year I think from memory, based on how many hairdressers chairs you have.
Not a nice organisation, very aggressive on the phone.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Susan did, around Ā£500 a year I think from memory, based on how many hairdressers chairs you have.
Not a nice organisation, very aggressive on the phone.
And in person I can assure you! :mad: Used to be two separate organisations years back. I think they took the worst of both when it became one! A bit like FAST for software licencing! Bordering on extortion!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
OMG, not another one from the wrong side of the Pennines. I have enough of that with my husband!! I'll see your fish slap and raise you a black pudding wallop!! :Grin:
Surely that should be a day old French baguette! :LOL:

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
No background music - excellent. Music is to be enjoyed, focussed on. Not an annoying noise rn the background

Left alone to wander. Excellent. No annoying salesmen following you around, annoying me

I spent 3 hours there a while back, comfy settee, coffee on tap, WiFi. What more does one need

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back