Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
We've experienced no shows at several of the C&MC popular sites.
I and I believe many others have been thwarted by this. Just pre-pandemic after 20+ years of motorhoming only abroad, just following my nose and stopping 'on a whim' at interesting-looking places I felt that I *ought* to see a bit more of the U.K. I joined the CAMC as I had read that it's sensible in the U.K. to book sites so began the process two months before my planned mid-May departure date. I tried to book stops of two or maximum three nights at a time on their (even then very user-unfriendly) website for the first two weeks of the 2 month trip. Fridays and Saturday nights were largely full so I had to spend ages looking around for alternatives for the weekends. When I mentioned this to a site warden he said that no-shows were very common so best to ring them last minute, which was totally impracticable when having to pre-plan a tour. I tried CLs but too often no-one was answering and I had to wait for a call back which left me hanging about uncertain whether there would be space or not and unsure where I'd be ending up in order to book for the following nights.
I managed to persevere for about two hours at a time over two days with a notepad full of possibles, probables, possible alternatives, plans 'B' and 'C' until my brain locked up in utter frustration and I began to detest the whole business of motorhoming as I seemed to end up not only having to plan a trip and book ahead but to go where there were pitches available rather than exactly where I wanted to be.
The result of this fiasco was that I booked my usual Newhaven - Dieppe crossing and had a great time wandering around France instead.
I'm very much in favour of deposits which may encourage me to try again to tour in the U.k.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
1668951844713.png

Mar 16, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu T460
Exp
Feb 2017
I have never joined any "Club" of any activity that we have been into.
Clubs are simply an excuse to create a "Clique" that attempts to make you feel somehow superior and to rip you off.
If you want to go somewhere, just go there, chances are that its no more expensive.
Club's, keep em.

Ian789

Free Member
Oct 18, 2013
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Camper Van
Exp
7 years
Thank you for the psychiatric assessment. I might have made a similar post if I had received confirmation from the CAMC that I had indeed lost my deposit because it clearly states on their site that that is not what should happen in this case. Clearly the OP has not had that formally confirmed but went ahead and posted anyway and the usual club kickers waded in to add their weight to an argument that will only really start if it turns out the OP has lost his deposit. Premature ejaculations of rage or what.
Was that what Pele you used to advertise a treatment for ?

Apr 26, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
Booked a site in Spain this week using the CAMC site.

It actually worked and strangely it was cheaper than the site's own website for December nights.

Booking a UK site does seem hard work.

As for deposits. Tried to book a site in the summer. Full. Booked elsewhere. A friend who had already booked into the first site called me to say two pitches each side of him empty that night. No one turned up.

By all means reserve, but cancel in good time.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Clubs are simply an excuse to create a "Clique" that attempts to make you feel somehow superior and to rip you off.
If you want to go somewhere, just go there, chances are that its no more expensive.
Club's, keep em.
As was once said …..” I don't want to belong to any club that would accept me as one of its members.”

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
When I was booking into a site not long after the change, I was told that they were using an ex-ferry website and when checking in, I was actually departing 😂
Yip, it's an off the shelf ferry booking system that's been "tweaked" (badly!).

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Let's not go off topic but suffice to say that at least Microsoft have a Beta Test programme to try to identify issues. I would not be surprised if the CMHC have never used any sort of Beta Testing with members, and perhaps they assumed that the bought-in software would be bug free. It may be bug free but it's the design, and implementation e.g. the need to duplicate information that they already hold, viewing a map through a letterbox (nice analogy andyt21), lack of directions to site etc. that is unsatisfactory.
Whether you agree with deposits, booking slots etc is another policy matter which they are at least trying to address, but it's this website/App that's so appalling, and I don't think we should wait a year for the to get it right. (DT) They should have a week at the most. Did the senior Web/App manager present his work to the senior Executives and they signed it off with a 'Good work, well done, our members will be pleased with your work.'
I wonder what the CL owners think of it all. Are they being inundated with phone calls from members seeking the information that isn't available on the website/app?
Just to put things in a little perspective Microsoft is a software house that is what they do they produce software. Can you imagine what it would cost to re-design the CAMC from the ground up? Most organisations use 3rd party software be it Sieble SAP salesforce etc they all have issues when implemented by any organisation.

So where does that leave CAMC ? Like many organisations a learning curve is my guess and to leave a thought in that there is no such thing as big free software never has or will be.

maybe a little compassion and kindness to those who are trying to make changes for the better may go a long way.

It’s an imperfect world and people are just trying thier best.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Yip, it's an off the shelf ferry booking system that's been "tweaked" (badly!).
Think you will find solicitors do the same they buy off the shelf contracts and tweak them for their customers. If you want a custom contract written from scratch it would be an eye watering cost and software is no different.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
I'm in the club

I'm also in teach the 'How not to design a website' club.

For a number of years we have used the C&MHC as a classic example, in front of a class for 50+ new web designers, of 'How not to do it'
With the 'new' site the C&MHC can not say they were not warned and then warned again and again.

From my point of view they have committed every rookie error in the book, the good news is we can therefore continue to use the C&MHC website as a almost laughable example of how to try to create a website on the cheap that actually costs you a lot more time and money.

It represents a very good training ground for new website developers, who will no doubt go onto greater things and hopefully will leave underfunded jobs like this one in the dumping ground of failed projects where they belong.
A good website doesn't cost that much. A bad website can be very expensive.
😉

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Think you will find solicitors do the same they buy off the shelf contracts and tweak them for their customers. If you want a custom contract written from scratch it would be an eye watering cost and software is no different.
Yes, but the world is full of software that just works.. it’s what we’ve come to expect and we take it for granted everyday. CMC reputably spent a fortune on the new system, didn’t test it thoroughly enough before launch and failed miserably to communicate effectively with its members. Now, several weeks in it’s still not fit for purpose across all platforms for all users - check out the avalanche of complaints & moans on their community forum and Trustpilot. This isn’t the first time either, they’ve got form. The ‘Club Together’ forum software is hopeless and has been for many months (probably longer) - again check out the hundreds of complaints/moans on the forum. It’s all depressingly familiar and shouldn’t be excused! They might be doing their best, but there comes a point where incompetence should have consequences and not compassion and kindness.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Just to put things in a little perspective Microsoft is a software house that is what they do they produce software. Can you imagine what it would cost to re-design the CAMC from the ground up? Most organisations use 3rd party software be it Sieble SAP salesforce etc they all have issues when implemented by any organisation.

So where does that leave CAMC ? Like many organisations a learning curve is my guess and to leave a thought in that there is no such thing as big free software never has or will be.

maybe a little compassion and kindness to those who are trying to make changes for the better may go a long way.

It’s an imperfect world and people are just trying thier best.
Compassion and kindness works both ways and CAMC management need to show some to both their ‘members’ and camp staff.👍🏻

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globe Traveller
Exp
40+
I do understand and agree with your take on it. Since there are only Two CMC/ CAMC in it it’s unlikely to get an ideal match, however, when booking a flight with say Jet2 you choose 1) Destination.2) Date .3) Seat etc. So Caravan Site, 1) Destination . 2)Date. 3) Pitch.
You have to admit it’s very similar in function and having used Jet2 many times it’s website is simple,functional,and rapid.
CMC in particular are a multimillion organisation but are not keeping up.

Jul 22, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral SC
I bought a new Adria from Marquis in 2020, first hab inspection in 2021 was £234, second hab check this year was £150. No idea why…. Being a newbie I had them done regardless. However I have just been told that if these inspections are not recorded on the Adria website the water ingress warranty is invalidated but Marquis has not even bothered to register them. Great service.. not. I have been let down time and time again by this dealer.

Apr 26, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
I bought a new Adria from Marquis in 2020, first hab inspection in 2021 was £234, second hab check this year was £150. No idea why…. Being a newbie I had them done regardless. However I have just been told that if these inspections are not recorded on the Adria website the water ingress warranty is invalidated but Marquis has not even bothered to register them. Great service.. not. I have been let down time and time again by this dealer.
But not CAMC fault?

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
I think you’ve posted in the wrong place? Maybe better here: https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/forums/motorhome-chat.5/

All I can suggest is to send the invoices proving hab checks have been done to Adria and ask them for written confirmation that they are entered on the vehicle record. Absolutely important you get it sorted as I sprung a leak on my Weinsberg van and had to provide evidence of checks before they’d authorise the dealer to undertake warranty repairs.

Last edited:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Im
Yes, but the world is full of software that just works.. it’s what we’ve come to expect and we take it for granted everyday. CMC reputably spent a fortune on the new system, didn’t test it thoroughly enough before launch and failed miserably to communicate effectively with its members. Now, several weeks in it’s still not fit for purpose across all platforms for all users - check out the avalanche of complaints & moans on their community forum and Trustpilot. This isn’t the first time either, they’ve got form. The ‘Club Together’ forum software is hopeless and has been for many months (probably longer) - again check out the hundreds of complaints/moans on the forum. It’s all depressingly familiar and shouldn’t be excused! They might be doing their best, but there comes a point where incompetence should have consequences and not compassion and kindness.
sitting in a CAMC site right this minute booked on line and we’ll here I am along with all the slots booked last night so something must be working.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I have spoken to site wardens in late September about the new system and such as you describe. The system is a pig to use apparently but there should be no loss of deposit more than 21 days.

As for amendments, whilst this is not clear in their documentation I was reliably told if you are just moving the dates then there is no loss of deposit, even if you are now spreading the stay into two or more club sites on consecutive days. Just like you could do before when touring.

If you are amending and reducing consecutive the days then no loss unless it is within the 21 days.

The wardens confirmed this was the new rules with their manager when I queried what their booking email confirmation was saying. The only thing to watch is if you reduce the number of people staying as I think as a guide if they will loose money and it is less than 21 days you will loose deposit but I understand you can appeal. Hope this helps SRC and others 😊
Are you saying if you move the booking less than 21 days from going and don't alter the number of people there's no loss? I hope that's not true as it will still have people making multiple bookings when they're not sure if they are going or not which presumably was the point of the new system. I think it's perfectly reasonable to treat pitch booking like booking any other holiday. You want to book it and not lose out if you're I'll or can't go for another reason take out holiday insurance.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Erm it may be strange but on arrival the staff were kind and have no complaints about this stay.
‘To’ their staff not from their staff, most staff members I have met have been great, it’s the managements handling of staff which I was referring to in this last line. 👍🏻👍🏻

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Club's, keep em.
If you've NEVER joined any club how can you give such a critical opinion. I'm in the CAMC mainly because of the ferry prices on offer and the great CLs. I'm in a small local independant club because they hold low cost local rallys every week and hav made some good friends over the years. I'm in THIS club because I get lots of good advice from other members.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Im

sitting in a CAMC site right this minute booked on line and we’ll here I am along with all the slots booked last night so something must be working.
Very pleased for you, but as they say ‘one swallow doesn’t make a summer…” I don’t think your single occasion negates the experience of hundreds of frustrated and disappointed members who deserve better.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
I and I believe many others have been thwarted by this. Just pre-pandemic after 20+ years of motorhoming only abroad, just following my nose and stopping 'on a whim' at interesting-looking places I felt that I *ought* to see a bit more of the U.K. I joined the CAMC as I had read that it's sensible in the U.K. to book sites so began the process two months before my planned mid-May departure date. I tried to book stops of two or maximum three nights at a time on their (even then very user-unfriendly) website for the first two weeks of the 2 month trip. Fridays and Saturday nights were largely full so I had to spend ages looking around for alternatives for the weekends. When I mentioned this to a site warden he said that no-shows were very common so best to ring them last minute, which was totally impracticable when having to pre-plan a tour. I tried CLs but too often no-one was answering and I had to wait for a call back which left me hanging about uncertain whether there would be space or not and unsure where I'd be ending up in order to book for the following nights.
I managed to persevere for about two hours at a time over two days with a notepad full of possibles, probables, possible alternatives, plans 'B' and 'C' until my brain locked up in utter frustration and I began to detest the whole business of motorhoming as I seemed to end up not only having to plan a trip and book ahead but to go where there were pitches available rather than exactly where I wanted to be.
The result of this fiasco was that I booked my usual Newhaven - Dieppe crossing and had a great time wandering around France instead.
I'm very much in favour of deposits which may encourage me to try again to tour in the U.k.

I agree with your point about deposits. I went through a phase when I was regularly having to cancel at less than 72 hrs due to some sort of crisis linked to my mothers health - she had dementia, lived independently and I was her carer. Each and every occasion was unavoidable and stressful. To add to the misery, CMC wrote to me and warned that if it continued my membership would be suspended. I felt quite guilty about it at the time. I responded to them proposing a deposit system to mitigate their loss in such circumstances. I would have quite happily paid - my problem my responsibility, my loss. They responded with an argument against a deposit system citing logistics and IT/financial systems etc as reasons not to have deposits. Not too long after that they’ve now performed a complete U turn!
I also wonder about the current ratio of members to pitches on Club sites. CMC have enjoyed a membership surge since the pandemic, but capacity hasn’t increased on anything like the same scale. It also occurs to me that all that deposit cash sat in their bank at inflated interest rates is probably quite a nice earner.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back