Rally Chat CAMC - reckon we’ll be banned (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 13, 2021
Cheltenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Homesmith
Exp
since 2015
Was the wardens name MATT by any chance as he banned me in May as my motorhome is 9 inch to big for that site having been for 5 years previously with the same motorhome and no problems
Your MH must be huge. When we were there a few weeks ago, there was an enormous home-converted MAC truck on one of the pitches. German number plates. Very friendly owners.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Your MH must be huge. When we were there a few weeks ago, there was an enormous home-converted MAC truck on one of the pitches. German number plates. Very friendly owners.
Like this? On their way round the world on a twenty year trip.

1724002520304.jpeg

OP
OP
MikenPauline
Sep 28, 2019
Newbury, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Pamplona
Exp
Since 2018
This has created loads of posts!
My view, the OP was aware of the rules but decided it didn’t apply to them. “ We were only stopping for a moment to use the toilet”.
Same as motorists stopping on double yellow lines with hazards on because they have just popped in the shop to buy a paper.
The warden shouted, if the warden was some meters away why wouldn’t they shout?
It seems so straightforward to me, you knew the rules but took the view they didn’t apply to you. You then got upset because the warden shouted at you!
Perhaps if you had complied with the rules, of which you were well aware, there would have been no need for a third party intervention.
Sorry, but I really can’t see why you should seek to blame the warden for doing their job.
To be honest we literally pulled over a got shouted at as soon as we stopped. We didn’t think that rules don’t apply to us. It happened so quickly. We’ve always been taught that it’s rude to shout. I’m just saying that the warden could have been more polite.

IMG_1787.jpeg

Apr 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail arapaho SE
So where do they draw the line? 9”, 2’, 5’?
So why let me in for 5 years in a row then suddenly decide I am too big and speak to me in a proper manner I own my own coach and deal with public 7 days a week and know how to speak to people but the manager Matt at Hawes is just so arrogant and rude

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hobby T65FL
Exp
2 years around Europe
Well we managed to break a rule this morning when leaving Hawes CAMC site. Pulled off our pitch and M decided he needed to use the toilet in the toilet block, he pulled in with the caravan hooked up just as a couple of wardens were walking around, one of the them shouted quite loudly from a distance ‘get off the grass’.

Now, wouldn’t it have been nicer if she had walked across and said something like ‘we don’t like people parking on the grass’. Sergeant Major comes to mind.

Wonder if we’ll be banned from their sites? 🤣🤣🤣
There are some good CAMC/CC wardens out there. You just have to search for them! I reckon the archaic approach must get filtered down from the top of the organisation

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
I’ve grown to disapprove with the CAMC way of doing things over 12 years membership but that doesn’t include wardens who have always been ok, some more so than others, but never rude or confrontational. Ditto C&CC. Maybe just lucky?

Feb 21, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
since 2004
I’ve grown to disapprove with the CAMC way of doing things over 12 years membership but that doesn’t include wardens who have always been ok, some more so than others, but never rude or confrontational. Ditto C&CC. Maybe just lucky?

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
There are some good CAMC/CC wardens out there. You just have to search for them! I reckon the archaic approach must get filtered down from the top of the organisation

Ah, the elusive Hobo, I was beginning to wonder if you actually existed? 😄

EDIT:Just had a look at your profile and it states that you joined in 2020.
I joined in 2018 and when I tried to register just Hobo, it said that Hobo was unavailable, perhaps Jim could explain that? 🤔

Sorry everyone, I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Last edited:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Was the wardens name MATT by any chance as he banned me in May as my motorhome is 9 inch to big for that site having been for 5 years previously with the same motorhome and no problems
I know some C&MC sites have implemented a "phone site only booking system" if you exceed the maximum length stated on their website. This because they have a restricted number of pitches that can take up to the maximum length. Not all pitches can take the maximum length.

One of our favourites has and if you try and book through the website it throws up a message of call the site directly.

It was implemented as a result of members being unable to get on available pitches due to their length. This was compounded by other members in much smaller campervans/motorhomes occupying the longer length pitches. A downside of pick your own pitch on arrival.

When you call the site they will allocate a specific pitch that will accommodate your unit and will be reserved for your arrival. If truth be told it does impact their site occupancy levels but was implemented to remove the possibility of a member having a wasted journey.

I don't know if Hawes is one of these sites but they definitely have a restricted number of pitches that can take longer units. Maybe that was the issue?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
My motorhome is a Fiat Ducato Autotrail Arapaho tag axle so no we're near as big as that one

So why let me in for 5 years in a row then suddenly decide I am too big and speak to me in a proper manner I own my own coach and deal with public 7 days a week and know how to speak to people but the manager Matt at Hawes is just so arrogant and rude
Maybe they had pre-booked as per my previous post however that does not condone any rudeness!

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I know some C&MC sites have implemented a "phone site only booking system" if you exceed the maximum length stated on their website. This because they have a restricted number of pitches that can take up to the maximum length. Not all pitches can take the maximum length.

One of our favourites has and if you try and book through the website it throws up a message of call the site directly.

It was implemented as a result of members being unable to get on available pitches due to their length. This was compounded by other members in much smaller campervans/motorhomes occupying the longer length pitches. A downside of pick your own pitch on arrival

When you call the site they will allocate a specific pitch that will accommodate your unit and will be reserved for your arrival. If truth be told it does impact their site occupancy levels but was implemented to remove the possibility of a member having a wasted journey.

I don't know if Hawes is one of these sites but they definitely have a restricted number of pitches that can take longer units. Maybe that was the issue?

Another situation where the Wardens are damned if they do and damned if they don't!
Imagine the situation, one, with your 6mtr van want to go on a 8mtr, much nicer pitch which is unoccupied, the Warden says NO, those are reserved for longer vehicles and, while one is there, nothing books in.
One is not very happy and probably complains on internet! 🤔

I'd love to be a campsite Warden! 😄

Last edited:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Another situation where the Wardens are damned if they do and damned if they don't!
Imagine the situation you, with a 6mtr van want to go on a 8mtr, much nicer pitch which is unoccupied, the Warden says NO, those are reserved for longer vehicles and, while your there, nothing books in.
Your not very happy and probably complain on internet! 🤔
The wardens on a site that have been told to implement this process hold a manual "calendar" with pre-booked longer length pitches and manage availability by placing a marker/cone on the pitch when it becomes available in advance of your arrival (maybe a few days/week so this impacts occupancy levels).

Anyone with a shorter unit will just see it as an occupied pitch when the arrive with the "resident" off site but, as you say, if it's empty for a few days someone could complain and the wardens would have to say allocated for a longer unit and suffer any angst from the "complainer".

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We used to have people that did that, now, although the school & parents complain, no-one will volunteer to do the job and British law doesn't allow it! 😡

PS. ALL my buses had cameras & monitors (the TV kind).
Give the driver a decent respirator then allow him to pepper spray the bus. (y)
If anyone, including a parent, slaps a child publicly in the UK
Therein lies the problem
don't go there because you cannot win.
It depends on what you call winning? If at the end I'm alive and all the family + those defending them aren't, then I've won.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
The wardens on a site that have been told to implement this process hold a manual "calendar" with pre-booked longer length pitches and manage availability by placing a marker/cone on the pitch when it becomes available in advance of your arrival (maybe a few days/week so this impacts occupancy levels).

Anyone with a shorter unit will just see it as an occupied pitch when the arrive with the "resident" off site but, as you say, if it's empty for a few days someone could complain and the wardens would have to say allocated for a longer unit and suffer any angst from the "complainer".
Does one have to pay extra for a longer vehicle, they should if the club holds it vacant for a number of days? 🤔

Dec 21, 2014
Littleborough, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
2015 for a year then a break. Now a newbie again!
The welcome Matt?

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
No, standard rate per pitch type immaterial of unit using.
That hardly seems fair, if it's depriving the club of income because it's reserved, it should be paid for.
Another person with a long van might want to stay for an extended period and cannot, then they would have to go elsewhere just because of this short, reserved, booking?
I think I will amend my vehicle size Club details and, possibly, get a more spacious pitch? 🤔

Nov 4, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
For the last 25yrs of my working life, I owned a Coach, Truck & Bus company and dealt with people on a daily basis.

Believe me when I say, there are a lot of impolite, lacking in common sense people out there. They are the minority but, they are the ones who get noticed and can influence others BUT in today's world of looking after the transgressors more than the victims, what can one do?

I always, tried to drive one of my vehicles on a daily basis so that I knew what my driver's faced and, being the boss, possibly, do something about?
Most of the time I failed because the law is against us! 😢

Today, IF there is a fight on a School Bus, the driver is not allowed to touch a pupil because, if he did to stop the fight, he could get accused of touching the child indecently or aggressively AND with the misguided support of the said pupils friends on the Bus, he/she could not only lose their jobs but land up in prison!

(How do I know, I once had to suspend one of my innocent drivers from ANY work connected with children because he had stopped a malicious, selfish, spiteful girl from smoking on the bus and she accused him of making obscene remarks to another girl.
I HAD to PROVE that he didn't (which was impossible) BUT she didn't have to prove that he HAD! She just had to report it! 😡

What sort of message are we sending out to the malicious troublemakers? 🤬
We had a school bus driver suspended and attending a council disciplinary hearing because as they came to a stop a child had stood up and come tumbling down the bus. Instinct had him put his left arm out to prevent them falling. This child then reported them for touching them! I have also overhead children on my bus planning on how they could get a teacher dismissed! Another big no no is when a child complains that they cannot manage to fasten their seat belt. Never lean over them to attempt fastening the belt! I once called a driver that cut me up a "Dick" I had some explaining to do after the kids reported me to the headmistress for obscene language who told not to say it again, I now call them a Richard :)

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Au contraire.

I believe it is a very particular shade of Brown, with a matching pale cream background!
Yes I can see that now. Might just as well be black and white though.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
Yes I can see that now. Might just as well be black and white though.
Absolutely agree.

But the design agency will have charged plenty for picking just the 'right' shades.

I reckon most of the time taken is in creating the narrative and 'story' behind the colour choices!

OP
OP
MikenPauline
Sep 28, 2019
Newbury, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Pamplona
Exp
Since 2018
Hawes is on our list as one to visit, perhaps we'll have a rethink.
Please go there, it’s a beautiful site and well laid out. The Wardens were fine, it was only one of them on our last day as we were leaving who shouted at us. We hadn’t set out deliberately to break the rule of not going on the grass and had she just come over and told us politely to move it would have been fine.

A trip to the creamery is well worth a visit and the Fish and Chip Shop/Restaurant was great.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back