Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 15, 2015
Isleham Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2012
Well our road trip has come to an unexpected halt Today travelled down through France and into Spain driving passed Albox on the E-15 A-7 heading toward Almeria and smelt the dreaded electrical burning smell and smoke started coming from the drivers side footwell, we had a very quick stop and switched everything off.
contacted Sargent and explained what had happened, explained the earth wires from the vehicle battery in side had melted and burnt out. I asked if if they could send me a new unit which I’m waiting to find out if they will send a unit to Spain. Strangely they said I would need a new EM40 unit and the repair wiring harness, i found it strange they have a repair harness to hand, which makes me feel there has been a problem with their wiring. I asked if it’s happened a lot to be told a few have had this issue.
really interested if anyone else has had the problem. And if anyone know of anywhere in Spain that may be able to assist.
by unplugging everything from the unit I can still drive the van but nothing is working in the hab area. The van is an Autotrail Dakota 2015.

1808B7C0-D441-4BB9-8CA1-60C48DA30891.jpeg

ija

Aug 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Sorry, feeding you duff info. It is a while since I did it so thought I would have a look.
The theory is the red plug carriers to 12v supply from the battery. Reducing the demand on this plug by removing the fridge heater supply means the RED plug is carrying a lot less current.
So I have removed the GREEN plug.
I have a red wire from the battery +ve connected to the TWO Red/Yellow wires.
I have a Black wire from the battery -ve connected top the TWO White/Black wires. These were removed from the Black plug which is still in situ but just with the small yellow wire connected.
Photos to follow in a minute.

Sorry, feeding you duff info. It is a while since I did it so thought I would have a look.
The theory is the red plug carriers to 12v supply from the battery. Reducing the demand on this plug by removing the fridge heater supply means the RED plug is carrying a lot less current.
I have a Black wire from the battery -ve connected top the TWO White/Black wires. These were removed from the Black plug which is still in situ but just with the small yellow wire connected.

Hi, are you still running with this bypass / repair as I’ve got a long french trip coming up in my Autotrail and would feel safer with this rather than risk te connector burning out

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2009
Vale Of Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
Autotrail F70
Exp
Hi, are you still running with this bypass / repair as I’ve got a long french trip coming up in my Autotrail and would feel safer with this rather than risk te connector burning out
Hi I have just read on the Autotrail forum that they have been sending out letters for EM40 RECALL many have said they have had letters today

Upvote 0
Mar 9, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Dakota ’14
Exp
Yes, still working.

I wonder what a dealer would think of it if I go for inspection with the recall 😂😂😂

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Hi I have just read on the Autotrail forum that they have been sending out letters for EM40 RECALL many have said they have had letters today
Yes they're doing it for the EM55 & EM56 too, the problem is the Fridge D+ fuse. Thetford say it should be 25a rather than the 20a Sargent fit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cockers
Jul 15, 2015
Isleham Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2012
I replaced my EM40 unit with the upgraded EM41, spoke to a guy at Sargent and explained I was using Lithium battery’s and he said the new EM41 unit would solve the problem. It came with new wiring harness which had upgraded connectors and bigger wiring.
Fitted it 6 months ago and had no problems since. Just had a long trip down to Italy where the weather was in the mid to late 30s with no problems. The EM41 did cost me £180.

Upvote 0
Jan 24, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Still learning 😊
I have a 2015 Autotrail, how would I identify if it had an EM40 unit fitted please? I have not received a recall letter yet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We're currently travelling so no access to our mail.

Do you happen to have a link to the above?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back