Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
As the title really.

Have seen quite a number of Motorhomes on our current trip with them and wonder why?

Personally I can’t see the point

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Are they even legal under condition and use laws? I honestly don't know
They are not illegal under UK C&U law. The Department for Transport however did issue advice (opinion) that they should not be used and only those that bear an approved mark could be used after May 2007.

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
As the title really.

Have seen quite a number of Motorhomes on our current trip with them and wonder why?

Personally I can’t see the point
Enlighten us please, where have you been to see all these motorhomes with bull bars fitted, were
they driving, parked or at a bull bar owners club meet?. I've possibly seen only a couple in nearly
10 years of motorhoming. Autotrail fitted them a few years ago but it was only a short production
run.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
They're for when you want to squish people who annoy you, such as campsite wardens etc and don't want to damage your MH ... they are not bull bars, as in the animal, but bullsh*t bars ... :D

BRASH

Free Member
May 28, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Complete Newbie
Must admit I've never seen them on a MH. Will have to keep a look out.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Oh bugger, should I cancel my order for the accessories for the Beast then :rofl:
sprinter_van_conversion_the_adventure_portal_10-820x560.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Are they even legal under condition and use laws? I honestly don't know

The law says :-

From 25th May 2007 for motor vehicles categorised as M1 (a passenger carrying vehicle not exceeding 3.5 tonnes and not more than 8 passengers) or N1 (a goods vehicle not exceeding 3.5 tonnes) it will only be legal to manufacturer and sell bull bars that comply with EU Directive 2005/66/EC.

It will be illegal to manufacture and sell bull bars that do not conform to this legislation punishable by a maximum penalty, to be imposed within the UK, of 12 months imprisonment and/or a fine of £20,000.

So it's the usual grey area that refers to manufacture and leaves it wide open if you have them on your vehicle and I'm sure it would be a great way out for your insurance company.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The law says :-

From 25th May 2007 for motor vehicles categorised as M1 (a passenger carrying vehicle not exceeding 3.5 tonnes and not more than 8 passengers) or N1 (a goods vehicle not exceeding 3.5 tonnes) it will only be legal to manufacturer and sell bull bars that comply with EU Directive 2005/66/EC.

It will be illegal to manufacture and sell bull bars that do not conform to this legislation punishable by a maximum penalty, to be imposed within the UK, of 12 months imprisonment and/or a fine of £20,000.

So it's the usual grey area that refers to manufacture and leaves it wide open if you have them on your vehicle and I'm sure it would be a great way out for your insurance company.
I don't agree, if it is not illegal then the insurance company cannot do anything about it.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Many years ago I wish I had them on my old VW pickup truck when a suicidal sheep jumped out in front of me coming over the moors from Buxton. It wrote the truck off.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I don't agree, if it is not illegal then the insurance company cannot do anything about it.

Are you sure ?, they could use the part of the road traffic act that loosely says as long as the bull bars do not cause an increased risk to “passengers, pedestrians and other road users”, what do you think, would an insurance company use that tact ?

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
It's "horses for courses" - useful in big game regions like Africa. We had a scary moment when a large kudu lept out of the bush right in front of us. A few milliseconds earlier and we would have been squished severely, probably fatally. Driving a VW campervan at the time with no bull-bar protection.

Driving at night through camel country in the middle east is highly risky. The camels like the warm tamac. If you hit one it's usually fatal as the body falls through the cab. Only a full height bull-bar would save you in that scenario.

My brother-in-law hit a deer at night in the Ashdown forest in Sussex. Fortunately it didn't come through the windscreen. So it does happen but bull-bars are generally unnecessary in Europe.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I would imagine they are more popular in the Nordics due to the Moose on the road.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Basically re legality of having one on a vehicle any model made after 2007 should not have one as it would have to have been made or supplied after the cut off date .
I have one on my land-rover it has the winch mount built in , it was for overland travel , and operation in Australia , where it was tested out by 3 Kangaroos , and one Emu ! Just before I left UK with the Landy it
was hit part head on by a ford car on a country lane , I had come to a stop , the ford was write off , the bull bar had a quick spray can tidy up . No one injured . The landrover has a separate chassis , they don't work with modern crumple zone vehicles. I made a front bar in Aluminium for my RV , as there was no structure untill nearly three feet behind front body panel . It served purpose of mounting point for extra headlamps for continental use, also a mount for recovery point . It also would prevent a normal car from submarining under the front of a 12 ton vehicle in the event of a head on impact . The same purpose as served by a rear under-run bar on a hgv .

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
I don’t think the bull bar per se would be a reason for the insurance company not to pay out.

But unless it was part of the manufacturers original specification /factory fit option it would be a modification, which you would be obliged to disclose. The presence of a bull bar would definitely increase the risk to third parties (not frequency, but cost).

So if you have a bull bar and didn’t disclose it and your insurer refused to pay out, you are the author of your own misfortune...

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
My father had them on the front of his Discovery years ago and the insurance came down dramatically when he took them off.
Probably saved a gallon a week as well.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
We have managed in 15 years in France to clobber a deer and a wild boar (no ... not me ... a real one) with our Citroen ZX, modest damage each time, would not normally consider bull bars ... but ... these days in France .... maybe .... just maybe ... to push the bloody Gillet Jaunes out of the way, maybe a very good idea.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We have managed in 15 years in France to clobber a deer and a wild boar (no ... not me ... a real one) with our Citroen ZX, modest damage each time, would not normally consider bull bars ... but ... these days in France .... maybe .... just maybe ... to push the bloody Gillet Jaunes out of the way, maybe a very good idea.
I hit a hare with our old Citroen zx and it smashed the bumper glad it wasn’t a deer

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
I see quite a few around on older Motorhomes. Usually Transit based

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Always liked the look of bull bars..
I reckon firms are missing a trick too
Make them out of soft(ish) plastic...Get the look with no weight, help protect the front end, AND be pedestrian safe ( actually night even be safer for pedestrians ! )

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back