Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi all,
In Northern Germany, Just coasting to traffic lights and the clutch pedal goes down to the floor. But I manage to get it out of gear. Absolute chaos behind me. When the traffic moved in front of me I luckily managed to coast down the slope in front of me and start it in gear to get myself off the Road. Unfortunately on to a cycle track so am getting yelled at by irate German cyclists!
I have AA breakdown with Nationwide and have called them. It’s a 90 minute wait they say.
It’s a 2012 Fiat Ducato 6 speed manual.
Can the mechanics out there tell me what might have gone?
It looks like a mechanical linkage the pedal and the push rod inside is moving but I can’t see what might have broken in the engine bay.
Just a few pointers so I don’t get stitched up by the inevitable garage.
Thanks,
Steve

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Glad you re sorted without too much disruption. Ok its a big bill but they did it quickly. From what other people have reported, I would suggest that if you had comfortmatic the bill would have been twice that and probably taken a lot longer.
OldAgeTravellers. My sentiments too. Have a great time both upon continuation of your holiday. 👍

Cheers,

Jock. ;)

Upvote 0
Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Glad your all sorted now
Mr Bean Thumbs Up GIF
Maybe an idea to put details of the garage that looked after you .
For other funsters in the future that might have issues with there vans & are in the area.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Glad your all sorted now
Mr Bean Thumbs Up GIF
Maybe an idea to put details of the garage that looked after you .
For other funsters in the future that might have issues with there vans & are in the area.
Certainly the garage is:
Autohaus BANNACH, Nortorf, Germany, Tel: 04392 6165.
Simone BANNACH speaks very good English.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I don’t think that’s bad for a main dealer price with genuine parts.

Glad it’s all sorted and happy holidays. :)

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2023
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Right you lot. We checked out of the hotel this morning. The AA hadn’t paid the bill as they said they had so paid that €492 for four days b&b. To be reclaimed I hope. Then was picked up by the garage owners wife and taken to the garage really nice lady then she sheepishly gave us the bill, guess how much?………….

Wait for it…………….€2,267.83 (£1,943.10) so extremely eye watering but we are on our way again. Have met up with our friends in Lubeck and had a great day. The clutch seems very light and I seemto have to push the pedal a long way before disengagement but it is very smooth with no judder which I was getting a bit before. But that is all very subjective.
The long and short of it is that we are back on our way with just a few days minor inconvenience and a new clutch for a bit more than I was expecting but such is life. It hasn’t spoiled our fantastic holiday so far and it is a job that obviously needed doing. And, most important it didn’t happen on a narrow hairpin bend up a single track mountain road in Norway.
Thanks for all the help advice and loving thoughts sent by all. It meant a lot to us both.
Steve & Judy and Jemimer the Hymer. :h::h:
GREAT, your sorted.
What did the end up replacing and how many miles are on your MH?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
GREAT, your sorted.
What did the end up replacing and how many miles are on your MH?
120,000 km and from what I can decifer, Clutch, oil seals, thrust/slave cylinder, hydrolic fluid, gearbox oil, checked and tested flywheel and a few things I can’t translate. The parts were €761 plus vat.

Upvote 0
Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
120,000 km and from what I can decifer, Clutch, oil seals, thrust/slave cylinder, hydrolic fluid, gearbox oil, checked and tested flywheel and a few things I can’t translate. The parts were €761 plus vat.
I had a clutch fitted to my vivaro daily drive a few years ago, I had the same clutch pedal disappearing act. I got the whole clutch done as you did. I did get a bedding in period of about 100 mile where the clutch felt a bit funny but it sorted it's self out.
Good luck enjoy your holiday your a real soldier :p

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sounds like a good price from a Fiat Professional for what they did, should be good for a few years now.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
£1,943.10
That's not bad! To be fitted in virtually immediately is good in itself. We had to have ours done end of Dec 2023 in the UK at Fiat, it took over 3 months to get it sorted due to initial lack of slots in the garage to get a diagnosis then waiting 2 months for the parts. It cost us £1780 plus £138 diagnosis and £60 to have it towed back to us whilst waiting for the parts as we didn't want to leave it in the compound for months.

Upvote 0
May 21, 2019
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance
Exp
Since 2015
"wallets" and "well into 4 figures" are positive comments?

Talking about master cylinders and other experiences of members that are not relevant are helpful to old age travellers.

I'm happy they have been recovered. I'm trying to give practical advice to help in their decision making process.

Hence, my advice about AA contact for accommodation or contribution towards repair to prevent repatriation.

Good luck old age travellers

View attachment 936349
If it's an official dealer , they will most likely refuse to fit anything other than the official parts , regardless of whether the same parts can be purchased from elsewhere, i.e motor factors, cheaper.

Upvote 0
May 21, 2021
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Right you lot. We checked out of the hotel this morning. The AA hadn’t paid the bill as they said they had so paid that €492 for four days b&b. To be reclaimed I hope. Then was picked up by the garage owners wife and taken to the garage really nice lady then she sheepishly gave us the bill, guess how much?………….

Wait for it…………….€2,267.83 (£1,943.10) so extremely eye watering but we are on our way again. Have met up with our friends in Lubeck and had a great day. The clutch seems very light and I seemto have to push the pedal a long way before disengagement but it is very smooth with no judder which I was getting a bit before. But that is all very subjective.
The long and short of it is that we are back on our way with just a few days minor inconvenience and a new clutch for a bit more than I was expecting but such is life. It hasn’t spoiled our fantastic holiday so far and it is a job that obviously needed doing. And, most important it didn’t happen on a narrow hairpin bend up a single track mountain road in Norway.
Thanks for all the help advice and loving thoughts sent by all. It meant a lot to us both.
Great news for you (not the cost of course but just getting back on the road pretty quick!), so pleased. Love your positive attitude throughout, a good lesson for many of us! Good luck with rest of your travels.

Upvote 0
Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66

Nice one. 👍

A very admirable positive and pragmatic attitude, together with your retention of a sense of humour throughout your hassles. I hope I'd be able to respond the same in similar circumstances.

Enjoy the rest of your trip now it's all sorted. 👍

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back