Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi all,
In Northern Germany, Just coasting to traffic lights and the clutch pedal goes down to the floor. But I manage to get it out of gear. Absolute chaos behind me. When the traffic moved in front of me I luckily managed to coast down the slope in front of me and start it in gear to get myself off the Road. Unfortunately on to a cycle track so am getting yelled at by irate German cyclists!
I have AA breakdown with Nationwide and have called them. It’s a 90 minute wait they say.
It’s a 2012 Fiat Ducato 6 speed manual.
Can the mechanics out there tell me what might have gone?
It looks like a mechanical linkage the pedal and the push rod inside is moving but I can’t see what might have broken in the engine bay.
Just a few pointers so I don’t get stitched up by the inevitable garage.
Thanks,
Steve

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Inspect the pedal mechanism for plastic parts broken, and fail to push the rod.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Inspect the pedal mechanism for plastic parts broken, and fail to push the rod.
Thanks Raul. All seems ok inside and the push rod is moving. But without jacking it up and getting underneath I can’t see anything. Just wanted any pointers from somebody who has worked on one.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I had same on 2004 jtd fiat.Is was the slave cylinder. Have you tried pulling it back up.I managed to drive home from york to Sheffield by pushing clutch down and lifting it back up with my foot to change gears
Did that when the slave cylinder failed in our Santa Fe.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Another thread to peruse whilst waiting here - good luck

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
Upvote 0
OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi all thanks for the replies. The clutch pedal goes up and down by hand, the push rod is moving. Just looked underneath yes there is oil. On left hand side under engine as looking from front backwards. and a pool underneath.
This is a left hand drive by the way.
Does it share the brake fluid reservoirs or is there another somewhere?

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Why oh Why did some idiot think of putting the slave cylinder inside the gearbox bell housing when the seals fail it allows break fluid to run down and contaminate the clutch plates.:swear:
If was located outside the body of the bellhousing with a suitable linkage to move the clutch it would be fixed in no time, whereas with it inside they have to remove the whole gear box to get to it.
Was it maybe to make us fork out more money to have a new clutch kit, maybe flywheel fitted as a "sensible" move whilst the gearbox is out of the van?:unsure:
Hope the OP gets its sorted quickly without being ripped off, something we all worry about on our travels.
LES

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Why oh Why did some idiot think of putting the slave cylinder inside the gearbox bell housing:swear:
If was located outside the body of the bellhousing with a suitable linkage to move the clutch it would be fixed in no time, whereas with it inside they have to remove the whole gear box to get to it.
Was it maybe to make us fork out more money to have a new clutch kit, maybe flywheel fitted as a "sensible" move whilst the gearbox is out of the van?:unsure:
Hope the OP gets its sorted quickly without being ripped off, something we all worry about on our travels.
LES
You do fill me with joy Les! 😳

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi all thanks for the replies. The clutch pedal goes up and down by hand, the push rod is moving. Just looked underneath yes there is oil. On left hand side under engine as looking from front backwards. and a pool underneath.
This is a left hand drive by the way.
Does it share the brake fluid reservoirs or is there another somewhere?
That will be the master cylinder (slave cylinder in Bell housing on other side).
On LHD drive I think It's a combined reservoir for clutch & brakes.
Better warn Mr. Wallet if its the cylinder it will be expensive.

Wishing you good luck for a quick fix Steve.

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Not all clutch slave cylinders are in the bell housing, ours is external on our 2013 6 speed Boxer. (y)

1723741008773.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Why oh Why did some idiot think of putting the slave cylinder inside the gearbox bell housing when the seals fail it allows break fluid to run down and contaminate the clutch plates.:swear:
LES
That's what we did with our Santa Fe, master cylinder inside bell housing and dual mass flywheel replaced.
Well into 4 figures!:crying:

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Master cylinder will be a fairly simple change. Slave cylinder is a gearbox out job which will be much cheaper if done by a gearbox centre rather than a FIat garage.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
As there is oil running out of bell housing I suspect it is an internal one. Although I have just watched a video about it and his looked different. I live in hope but suspect the worst. I can feel Mr Wallet shuddering with fear already.
Will it be cheaper in Germany, can they fit me in, will the AA transport us home? They said 90 minutes it’s now two hours.
Our Breakdown is with NATIONWIDE FLEX.
At least it is comfortable while we are waiting.
I will let you know what happens.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As there is oil running out of bell housing I suspect it is an internal one.
Opposite side to what you said eairler so it's probably the slave cylinder so worth changing clutch while the bell housing is off & DMF if you have one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Hi all,
In Northern Germany, Just coasting to traffic lights and the clutch pedal goes down to the floor. But I manage to get it out of gear. Absolute chaos behind me. When the traffic moved in front of me I luckily managed to coast down the slope in front of me and start it in gear to get myself off the Road. Unfortunately on to a cycle track so am getting yelled at by irate German cyclists!
I have AA breakdown with Nationwide and have called them. It’s a 90 minute wait they say.
It’s a 2012 Fiat Ducato 6 speed manual.
Can the mechanics out there tell me what might have gone?
It looks like a mechanical linkage the pedal and the push rod inside is moving but I can’t see what might have broken in the engine bay.
Just a few pointers so I don’t get stitched up by the inevitable garage.
Thanks,
Steve
Steve, can I ask what year van is and miles?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back