Battlefield tour Somme (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Bazc79
Oct 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift bessacarr
I think the ossuary is a collection of bones from about 130,000 soldiers all collected from the battlefield and all jumbled together, so no records of who they were.
Basically, blown to pieces and the bones collected. Looking through the windows from the outside is quite an emotional experience.
I can imagine this trip being quite an emotionally draining, but worthwhile experience.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
I think the ossuary is a collection of bones from about 130,000 soldiers all collected from the battlefield and all jumbled together, so no records of who they were.
Basically, blown to pieces and the bones collected. Looking through the windows from the outside is quite an emotional experience.

That’s correct, but I wasn’t aware of any lasting memorial to the individuals that fell unknown, unlike the carefully recorded names on, for example, the Menin Gate, Thiepval, Tyne Cot wall, etc. It just seemed very impersonal in comparison to me.

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
If you can get hold of a book called * Before Endeavours Fade* By Rosie Coombs it has set tours and maps in it, bit dated now as printed in the 1970/80's but a good starting point

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
That’s correct, but I wasn’t aware of any lasting memorial to the individuals that fell unknown, unlike the carefully recorded names on, for example, the Menin Gate, Thiepval, Tyne Cot wall, etc. It just seemed very impersonal in comparison to me.
Similar. Menin Gate is the memorial to those lost but have no known grave. Tyne Cott and many other cemeteries have graves to unknown soldiers so they may be recorded on the Menin Gate anyway. Either way, a tour of the WW1 ares should be part of the national curriculum to help teach our children never to do anything so useless again.

OP
OP
Bazc79
Oct 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift bessacarr
That’s correct, but I wasn’t aware of any lasting memorial to the individuals that fell unknown, unlike the carefully recorded names on, for example, the Menin Gate, Thiepval, Tyne Cot wall, etc. It just seemed very impersonal in comparison

Thanks rolosroller I should of said earlier, I found a copy on amazon so I bought it. Thank you for the effort though. Much appreciated.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bazc79
Oct 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift bessacarr
Similar. Menin Gate is the memorial to those lost but have no known grave. Tyne Cott and many other cemeteries have graves to unknown soldiers so they may be recorded on the Menin Gate anyway. Either way, a tour of the WW1 ares should be part of the national curriculum to help teach our children never to do anything so useless again.
Absolutely!

OP
OP
Bazc79
Oct 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift bessacarr
Maybe Kubrick’s film ‘Paths of Glory’, although controversially anti-war at the time of release, accurately reflected the attitude of the higher ups to the common soldier?
You've inspired me to watch this. It's on prime, so that's the rest of my night sorted 😏

Jun 7, 2014
Cleethorpes
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Did the trip around the WW1 sites around 10 years ago, there was absolutely no problems with parking a Motorhome. Overnight I stayed on the numerous Camping Car Aires in the regions.

I did this over three days and by the end I was an emotional wreck. Having said that the following year I did Verdun and the Lorraine region.
Mike

OP
OP
Bazc79
Oct 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift bessacarr
Did the trip around the WW1 sites around 10 years ago, there was absolutely no problems with parking a Motorhome. Overnight I stayed on the numerous Camping Car Aires in the regions.

I did this over three days and by the end I was an emotional wreck. Having said that the following year I did Verdun and the Lorraine region.
Mike
This is brilliant. Thank you for that. To think you can get all that in, in 3 days is good to know. I had no idea of how much time would be needed at each location to properly take it all in.

Jun 7, 2014
Cleethorpes
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
This is brilliant. Thank you for that. To think you can get all that in, in 3 days is good to know. I had no idea of how much time would be needed at each location to properly take it all in.
The first four in that list are close together, Vimy Ridge is a bit further north, the last two are in Belgium and close to Ypres and the Menin Gate.
My personal favourite is the site of the trenches and the memorial at Vimy Ridge.
Mike

OP
OP
Bazc79
Oct 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift bessacarr
The first four in that list are close together, Vimy Ridge is a bit further north, the last two are in Belgium and close to Ypres and the Menin Gate.
My personal favourite is the site of the trenches and the memorial at Vimy Ridge.
Mike
Thanks mike.
Yeah vimy ridge and thiepval are right at the top of the list for me. Them and obviously the last post at the menin gate.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
We're actually starting off in Ypres, I've got us booked in at the camping jeugdstadion site. For 2 days.
I tried to book the Velodrome site but found it's quite confusing. I sent them an email last week but not heard anything. I'll keep trying that one.
Thanks for the heads up though. I wasn't keen on hiring a car AND having the van there as well.
Free overnight parking by the college at Ypres

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
A publisher often mentioned on here a few years ago but not so often these days is Vicarious Books who publish a motorhome guide to touring the sites of both world wars, it's half price too at the moment.

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
Here’s my great grandad at Thiepval, O’Gorman J. His service record would have him down as a bit of a lad. One name amongst the thousands and thousands who gave their lives here.

IMG_6566.jpeg

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
My great uncle was shot in the head at Delville Wood (Longueville) aged 17. He'd joined up like a lot of South Africans, lying about his age which was quite common apparently. Recruiting officers didn't check too much. Anyway he survived but was brain damaged and needed care for the rest of his life. We went to the South African Memorial at Delville Wood and it was an intensely moving experience. We also did Vimy Ridge, Hawthorn Crater, Tyne Cott, Thiepval and Ypre as well as lots of smaller cemeteries dotted all over that area.
As other have posted, some of the memorials allow parking overnight and we've never seen the area busy, apart from Thiepval and Ypres. We used Major Holt's Guide of the World War 1 Battlefields which has maps and other interesting information.
If you PM me your address, I'll gladly post it to you FOC.
Enjoy (if that's the right word) you trip in any event. It is certainly moving.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
dont foget to visit the german memorial at Langemark aswell, very sombering as they all are. there is also a welsh memorial not far away from there

my grandfather died at Zillbeke lake, just outside Ypres and has his name inscribed on the Menin Gate. It was an area for a bit of respite from the fighting but the germans fired shells into regularly, as no doubt we did into their respite areas.

OP
OP
Bazc79
Oct 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift bessacarr
My great uncle was shot in the head at Delville Wood (Longueville) aged 17. He'd joined up like a lot of South Africans, lying about his age which was quite common apparently. Recruiting officers didn't check too much. Anyway he survived but was brain damaged and needed care for the rest of his life. We went to the South African Memorial at Delville Wood and it was an intensely moving experience. We also did Vimy Ridge, Hawthorn Crater, Tyne Cott, Thiepval and Ypre as well as lots of smaller cemeteries dotted all over that area.
As other have posted, some of the memorials allow parking overnight and we've never seen the area busy, apart from Thiepval and Ypres. We used Major Holt's Guide of the World War 1 Battlefields which has maps and other interesting information.
If you PM me your address, I'll gladly post it to you FOC.
Enjoy (if that's the right word) you trip in any event. It is certainly moving.
Thats insane!! You just can't imagine being in that situation.

That's very kind of you to offer that, I'll send you a PM, if I meet you on a site somewhere I'll buy you a beer or 2 for your trouble.
Thank you!!

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
We have visited a lot of museums and memorials on the Somme in the last few days. The one that stands out is the Sir John Monash Centre at the Australian Memorial at Villers Bretonneux. Superb audio/visual coverage of the conflict. Of course there is an Aussie slant but the same conditions applied to all soldiers. Very moving. Free admission to the museum. €3 for headphones for the interactive audio guide or bring your own. We ended up going back the next day to cover everything! Stayed at the aire in nearby Bray sur Somme. Its a pity that there weren't more commanding officers like Sir John Monash. Opened in 2018 and apparently cost 100 million Aussie dollars!

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
We're actually starting off in Ypres, I've got us booked in at the camping jeugdstadion site. For 2 days.
I tried to book the Velodrome site but found it's quite confusing. I sent them an email last week but not heard anything. I'll keep trying that one.
Thanks for the heads up though. I wasn't keen on hiring a car AND having the van there as well.
Well worth persevering with this site. In my opinion the town has, below and alongside the church, a very good museum. At the time we had an almost 8m motorhome and had no problems at any of the larger historical sites. Maybe you would if there is a particular anniversary celebration, but not normally. Many of the smaller sites and graveyards have a small parking area nearby, again we never had any problem with these. Sounds like you are doing your research, but allow a bit of time each day for things you come across and are curious about. Take heed of the advice offered above about the pressures of visiting so many sites in such a tight timeframe will have, not many deal with the enormity of it all without it having some effect on you, so be prepared for it. It is fantastic how the Commonwealth War Graves Commission look after it all so well.
There is no seating at Ypre, so perhaps wheelchair may help if mobility is an issue - it's not just the ceremony time, you have to be there in advance to get a good position.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Much respect for your dad.
In 2024 it will be good to have reservations where you can as the 80th Anniversary is going to mean everywhere will be exceptionally busy although you will miss the busiest period as you're going just ahead of the actual anniversary dates.
I'll be interested to see some pictures of your trip in due course.

OP
OP
Bazc79
Oct 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift bessacarr
We have visited a lot of museums and memorials on the Somme in the last few days. The one that stands out is the Sir John Monash Centre at the Australian Memorial at Villers Bretonneux. Superb audio/visual coverage of the conflict. Of course there is an Aussie slant but the same conditions applied to all soldiers. Very moving. Free admission to the museum. €3 for headphones for the interactive audio guide or bring your own. We ended up going back the next day to cover everything! Stayed at the aire in nearby Bray sur Somme. Its a pity that there weren't more commanding officers like Sir John Monash. Opened in 2018 and apparently cost 100 million Aussie dollars!
Fantastic. I'll add it to the list. Thank you.
I'm starting to see that the aires are a far more popular stop over, compared to the campsites. I'll definitely look into them.

Yeah i dont think it matters where the soldiers on the memorials came from, the absolute hell they went through, would of been the same I'm sure.

OP
OP
Bazc79
Oct 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift bessacarr
Much respect for your dad.
In 2024 it will be good to have reservations where you can as the 80th Anniversary is going to mean everywhere will be exceptionally busy although you will miss the busiest period as you're going just ahead of the actual anniversary dates.
I'll be interested to see some pictures of your trip in due course.
Thank you tonks.
I'll definitely post some pics.

OP
OP
Bazc79
Oct 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift bessacarr
Well worth persevering with this site. In my opinion the town has, below and alongside the church, a very good museum. At the time we had an almost 8m motorhome and had no problems at any of the larger historical sites. Maybe you would if there is a particular anniversary celebration, but not normally. Many of the smaller sites and graveyards have a small parking area nearby, again we never had any problem with these. Sounds like you are doing your research, but allow a bit of time each day for things you come across and are curious about. Take heed of the advice offered above about the pressures of visiting so many sites in such a tight timeframe will have, not many deal with the enormity of it all without it having some effect on you, so be prepared for it. It is fantastic how the Commonwealth War Graves Commission look after it all so well.
There is no seating at Ypre, so perhaps wheelchair may help if mobility is an issue - it's not just the ceremony time, you have to be there in advance to get a good position.
Thanks grumps147.
That's good to know you didn't have problems regarding the size of your motorhome. Mine is just over 8m so it'd good to know that these sites won't pose a problem. It's a Christmas present I am putting together for him, and as he's been before, I think I'll let him dictate the pace and see what he wants to go for.

I did see on someone's youbtube video, that they recommend getting there an hour before the ceremony at Ypres.

OP
OP
Bazc79
Oct 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift bessacarr
dont foget to visit the german memorial at Langemark aswell, very sombering as they all are. there is also a welsh memorial not far away from there

my grandfather died at Zillbeke lake, just outside Ypres and has his name inscribed on the Menin Gate. It was an area for a bit of respite from the fighting but the germans fired shells into regularly, as no doubt we did into their respite areas.
Mister B, may I ask your grandfather's name? Would be nice to look up and pay respects. Also, good idea about the German memorial. Seeing it from the other side.
I'm sure at the end of the day the majority of the German soldiers were, like our lads, just trying to keep themselves alive long enough to get home to their families. Following orders, and looking out for their mates.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Mister B, may I ask your grandfather's name? Would be nice to look up and pay respects. Also, good idea about the German memorial. Seeing it from the other side.
I'm sure at the end of the day the majority of the German soldiers were, like our lads, just trying to keep themselves alive long enough to get home to their families. Following orders, and looking out for their mates.
It’s also very interesting, when visiting the German graveyards, to see just how many Jewish soldiers lost their lives fighting for Germany. And we all know what happened almost immediately after 1918 with the Friekorps, the SA and the rest!

Of course it is just as sad to think of those German boys who died, as their enemies, for the purposes of the Imperial powers and not any ideology as in WW2.

And we like to think that we, as civilised beings, have learned anything from the hell that generation went through. Fat chance. 🤨

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back